Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do i disconnect my Eircom Phonewatch box?

Options
  • 05-09-2013 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Another Eircom Phonewatch thread, i had a look through a lot of them but couldn't find the info i'm asking you for now.

After posting this earlier in the Eircom forum it was suggested i ask here for a solution.
    Hi,

We have had Eircom Phonewatch installed for the last 3 years. Never had any major problems with it. A few weeks ago we received a letter saying the price was being increased from 25 euro to 35 euro a month. Scandalous increase in price, so we opted not to pay and as such have been disconnected. This situation is fine with us. However, since we stopped payment we have received 2 letters and a phonecall asking if we could pay. We were adamant about not paying a 50% price increase and were ominously told the following.

"There may be problems"

Since then we have had the alarm go off twice at 4am waking everyone in the house and to be quite honest scaring us.

The alarm has been silent (almost) for three years and for it to suddenly start going off at 4am since we were told there may be problems is just downright intimidating.

As well as being intimidating, the cost of a local phonecall is added each time the alarm goes off, so it's still costing us money.

Is this type of behaviour even legal?
    Secondly, can i disconnect the system myself rather than paying Eircom to send a "disconnection engineer" Surely it cant be that difficult.
    I personally felt like ripping the box off the wall this morning but having paid 900 euro over the last few years i dont want to, and even though i wont ever be paying Eircom for the phonewatch service again I think my money has well and truly paid for the wall box, so i'd like to keep it even if it is disconnected.

We are absolutely disgusted at the behaviour of Eircom phonewatch with these tactics, any advice you could give would be appreciated.

We've had the alarm go off on three separate occasions this afternoon for no reason and it's become a nuisance with waking us up at 4am with a false alarm.
    The interior wall box is a Simon XT, i'm just looking for the easiest way to disconnect it, so it's basically powered off and not using our phoneline.

Any help you could give would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Eircom don't own PhoneWatch any more, that's probably why there has been an increase.

You're saying you're paying more, when I've told them I want to pay less.. and it has been accepted! Basically a month free.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

lucky you, we're being harassed by our own alarm :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What system have you got?
    It may be just a matter of removing the mains fuse & the internal battery.
    If there is a live external bell this will ring for 20 minutes.
    Also if your phone line is running through the panel you may need to disconnect that also.

it's a simon xt box, the phoneline is connected. no exterior bell, just the robotic voice thing that ye can hear all through the house.

can i just open the box up and d/c the phoneline that way?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

it's a simon xt box, the phoneline is connected. no exterior bell, just the robotic voice thing that ye can hear all through the house.

can i just open the box up and d/c the phoneline that way?

Turn off the mains power to it and disconnect the back up battery. Check your still have a dial tone on your phone after that.
    If not you will have to disconnect the line from the alarm and join through.

• Advertisement

no idea how to even begin an operation like that tbh..

there's a fuse box leading to it which I've removed the fuse, how do i go about the rest?

no idea how to even begin an operation like that tbh..

there's a fuse box leading to it which I've removed the fuse, how do i go about the rest?

I'm mobile at the moment . I sent you the manual. That will help with opening and the battery.
    If you need more give me a shout back.

thanks a lot dude :) i'll give it a read now

Got the manual, figured out how to open and d/c the battery and phoneline, thanks a lot lot KoolKid! Might actually get a decent night's kip tonight and you saved us a few quid on a disconnection fee too.

Thanks again, greatly appreciated :)

Your welcome. Glad you got it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi folks,

Another Eircom Phonewatch thread, i had a look through a lot of them but couldn't find the info i'm asking you for now.

After posting this earlier in the Eircom forum it was suggested i ask here for a solution.

We've had the alarm go off on three separate occasions this afternoon for no reason and it's become a nuisance with waking us up at 4am with a false alarm.
    The interior wall box is a Simon XT, i'm just looking for the easiest way to disconnect it, so it's basically powered off and not using our phoneline.

Any help you could give would be great.

I would say it is the system trying to contact P.W that is the issue.
    Deleting the number that the system dials out on will solve the issue for you.

Advertisement