Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roughest areas of Galway?

Options
  • 05-09-2013 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

What are the roughest parts of Galway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

The rocky shorelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nineteen66

Shop Street,the paving is very rough in spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

The sandpaper section in Woodies is particularly rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Molloy10

lol I ****ed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

My house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Round the edges!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The dog pound (ruff, ruff).

Or any of the pubs serving beakfast to stags on a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

The worst thing about the rough parts of Galway is that you can't wear any good shoes when walking through.

The soles get all torn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Molloy10 wrote: »
    What are the roughest parts of Galway?

Not even the County Mayor knows that one...................

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/63492/mayor-under-fire-for-stating-that-galway-is-dangerous-after-dark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

Boards when you fail to phrase a question correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

the bay with a good ole southwesterly gale

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭lewishamilton

Castlepark
    Ballinfoyle
    Westside

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Castlepark
    Ballinfoyle
    Westside

Dont be such a dickhead naming places, I live in Westside for twenty years and never had a problem, Westside is a huge area with some fine people living there, our President is from Westside, our current Irish Soccer Goalie Forde is from Westside I could go on. Galway is a fine safe City compared to the rest of this Country I have never in my life felt afraid in any part of it. :mad:

Watch the tone, guys. There's no call to be insulting other posters for their opinions.

Unfortunately places do have bad reputations that date back years ago.

The truth of the matter is that different places will always be a bit rougher than others. For example, in very recent times, Knocknacara seems to have gotten slightly more undesirable. Doesn't mean that the whole place should be tarred with the same brush however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

Let's stigmatise whole working class communities based on nothing but anecdotal evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

in very recent times, Knocknacara seems to have gotten slightly more undesirable
    Oh, you live in Knocknacarra now?

joke, don't ban me please

biko wrote: »
    Oh, you live in Knocknacarra now?

Just going on what the Advertiser and *ahem* vigilantes are saying... ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's well-known that Knocknacarra has an authorised hole.

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's well-known that Knocknacarra has an authorised hole.

Jaysus. :eek: What will the parish priest think?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 June Bird

Chicken1 wrote: »
    our President is from Westside

Ah now that's stretching it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Couldn't the wuffest part of Galway be the dog poo-ridden promenadium out Salthill way?

Couldn't the wuffest part of Galway be the dog poo-ridden promenadium out Salthill way?

It's a contender, but I think you might be barking up the wrong tree there...

June Bird wrote: »

Sure'n one end of Presidential Drive is in Westside ....

No one has yet mentioned the roughest spot, namely Supermacs Eyre Square at 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

June Bird wrote: »

I think it's technically Rahoon, but it's close enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's a contender, but I think you might be barking up the wrong tree there...
    That's pawsitively the 2nd worst dog pun ITT.

inisboffin wrote: »
    I think it's technically Rahoon, but it's close enough!

... grabs popcorn and settles down to watch the great Rahoon / Knocknacarra / Westside boundary debate unfold yet again. :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Roughest place in Galway? Why that would have to be bodkin point Chinese buffet when I'm there and there's a limited amount of satay crispy chicken left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Roughest place in Galway? Why that would have to be bodkin point Chinese buffet when I'm there and there's a limited amount of satay crispy chicken left.

Nah: Laffeys/Mixers/Yank Casserlys/wtf is in there now anyways?

Chicken1 wrote: »
    Dont be such a dickhead naming places, I live in Westside for twenty years and never had a problem, Westside is a huge area with some fine people living there, our President is from Westside, our current Irish Soccer Goalie Forde is from Westside I could go on. Galway is a fine safe City compared to the rest of this Country I have never in my life felt afraid in any part of it. :mad:
    Castlepark
    Ballinfoyle
    Westside

There isn't really a bad area in Galway as such, being a kid you would be more likely to experience trouble with little scrotes in any of those 3 places named above.

As an older individual they're all fine really, the ones to watch wouldn't be interested in bothering anyone under 15.

There's only a very small minority of dodgy people in town, they come from any of those 3 areas, can be in jail at any given time and like all scumbags in town, they congregate in the city centre and near suburbs to town.

You only really have to watch yourself in some areas of the city centre at night.
    As I know all too well by a situation I had with two drunken 30+ scumbags with large raps who tried rob me and a friend at the Spanish Arch one night about 7 years ago.
    The more aggressive was the one in front of me apparently brandishing a screwdriver in his pocket and threatening me with it to empty my pockets.
    Funnily enough I wasn't overly afraid and managed to hide my phone(not that he checked physically anyway) and I fobbed him off with the E3 I had on me.
    This guy has been involved in some violent stuff over the years so maybe it could have been worse for me(I'm sure if I said his name most would even just know it from the papers).

I try to avoid hanging around the Arch or Eyre Sq at night, there's a few areas in town where you will pump into people like that or on the walking paths between some suburbs late at night, but in general it's nothing compared to even Limerick/Dub/Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

There isn't really a bad area in Galway as such, being a kid you would be more likely to experience trouble with little scrotes in any of those 3 places named above.

As an older individual they're all fine really, the ones to watch wouldn't be interested in bothering anyone under 15.

There's only a very small minority of dodgy people in town, they come from any of those 3 areas, can be in jail at any given time and like all scumbags in town, they congregate in the city centre and near suburbs to town.

You only really have to watch yourself in some areas of the city centre at night.
    As I know all too well by a situation I had with two drunken 30+ scumbags with large raps who tried rob me and a friend at the Spanish Arch one night about 7 years ago.
    The more aggressive was the one in front of me apparently brandishing a screwdriver in his pocket and threatening me with it to empty my pockets.
    Funnily enough I wasn't overly afraid and managed to hide my phone(not that he checked physically anyway) and I fobbed him off with the E3 I had on me.
    This guy has been involved in some violent stuff over the years so maybe it could have been worse for me(I'm sure if I said his name most would even just know it from the papers).

I try to avoid hanging around the Arch or Eyre Sq at night, there's a few areas in town where you will pump into people like that or on the walking paths between some suburbs late at night, but in general it's nothing compared to even Limerick/Dub/Cork.

You may experience Galway as a far safer place if you avoid this disgusting practice entirely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement