Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roughest areas of Galway?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

There isn't really a bad area in Galway as such, being a kid you would be more likely to experience trouble with little scrotes in any of those 3 places named above.

As an older individual they're all fine really, the ones to watch wouldn't be interested in bothering anyone under 15.

There's only a very small minority of dodgy people in town, they come from any of those 3 areas, can be in jail at any given time and like all scumbags in town, they congregate in the city centre and near suburbs to town.

You only really have to watch yourself in some areas of the city centre at night.
    As I know all too well by a situation I had with two drunken 30+ scumbags with large raps who tried rob me and a friend at the Spanish Arch one night about 7 years ago.
    The more aggressive was the one in front of me apparently brandishing a screwdriver in his pocket and threatening me with it to empty my pockets.
    Funnily enough I wasn't overly afraid and managed to hide my phone(not that he checked physically anyway) and I fobbed him off with the E3 I had on me.
    This guy has been involved in some violent stuff over the years so maybe it could have been worse for me(I'm sure if I said his name most would even just know it from the papers).

I try to avoid hanging around the Arch or Eyre Sq at night, there's a few areas in town where you will pump into people like that or on the walking paths between some suburbs late at night, but in general it's nothing compared to even Limerick/Dub/Cork.

Yes well Galway is a small place compared to Dublin Cork and Limerick and the city centre in Limerick is very safe.Of course every place has it's thugs but for a small city i think Galway has more than it's fair share of thugs even Salthill is getting rough now not to mention all the robberies happening in broad daylight all over town.Mind you the problem in Salthill is that you have a gang of youths who loiter around the area drinking and causing havoc.Calling them dangerous is an overreaction but they are bothering people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There isn't really a bad area in Galway as such, being a kid you would be more likely to experience trouble with little scrotes in any of those 3 places named above.

As an older individual they're all fine really, the ones to watch wouldn't be interested in bothering anyone under 15.

There's only a very small minority of dodgy people in town, they come from any of those 3 areas, can be in jail at any given time and like all scumbags in town, they congregate in the city centre and near suburbs to town.

There is one more area that should be added to that list.

I beleive that 2 years ago, the area had a 24 hour garda presence, to stop certain people from another city becoming re-established in Galway. And I know that a known drug-dealer turned up to the neighbourhood watch meeting at least once. I do not know if there are still these issues going on, but I would expect so: poorer neighbourhoods are usually the target for such activities.

All that said, there are far more law-abiding sound citizens in that area, and I believe the other three too, than there are are scumbags, theives, drug-dealers etc. And there are plenty of white-collar scumbags in other areas too.

Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ballybane

I couldn't go to the shop near closing time without getting hassled to buy drink and cigarettes and then threats when I ignored them.

Sometimes traveler kids, sometimes local kids.

Got the same in Ballybrit.

Never had any trouble in Castlepark and I walked that every day at all hours and Castlepark probably had the worst rep of all. I found it fine

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nineteen66

Sure'n one end of Presidential Drive is in Westside ....

No one has yet mentioned the roughest spot, namely Supermacs Eyre Square at 2am.
    And the other end of Presidential Drive would be in Bushypark/Dangan.Somehow I think Mr President and his neighbours would consider themselves more Bushypark than Westside.One end of Presidential Drive you say"Hows da goin"and the other end you say"Hello,how are you".:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

His address can also be Circular Road :)
    I've said it before and it looks like i'll have to say it again. There is no area actually called 'Westside', the shopping centre is the only place that has the name officially! No housing estate has Westside as their address and if they do they are incorrect. It'd be like calling Shantalla 'West City' just because the shopping complex (Aldi) is called that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

his house is on circular rd, a short distance from a hardstand, circular road normally comes addressed as bushypark/dangan/rahoon , not sure which borders which tbh.. westside is nothing like the rough area it was 25/30 years ago ..

rattlesnakes , anyone remember them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

barone wrote: »
    his house is on circular rd, a short distance from a hardstand, circular road normally comes addressed as bushypark/dangan/rahoon , not sure which borders which tbh.. westside is nothing like the rough area it was 25/30 years ago ..

rattlesnakes , anyone remember them?

With great fondness. If I remember correctly, in their graffiti they used to style themselves as the "Rattlesnaks".

Possibly some of them couldn't spel to gud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

The 'bad area' meme almost certainly stems in the first instance from the local
    police and their unwillingness to police areas of the city whose residents lack
    affluence and influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

I haven't lived in Galway for a long time, but back in the day Castlepark was a rough spot. Don't know what it's like today. Salthill was 50/50 in those days too (back in the period when the Castle, Vagabonds(?) and Liquid were still in operation).

I'm always amazed by how calm and safe the place seems when I go back now. I remember growing up there, the scumbags had the run of the place. Some little scrote with a bunch of friends telling you to 'stand for a search' on your lunchbreak was not at all unexpected.

Although I did notice three real, live junkies on shop street last time I was there. That's a new development.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement