Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Football - RIP?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

EdenHazard wrote: »
    when a team who finishes 5th in England wins the thing, it ruins the prestige.

Who you on about Liverpool, Chelsea or both?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

GTR63 wrote: »

Given past comments. It's meant at Liverpool.

Given your comment now. It's meant at both.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Lars1916 wrote: »
    How much was a ticket there?

Tickets to see the German team are sometimes very expensive, compared to league matches...48 quid for the cheapest ticket when they played Paraguay in a friendly, for example.

£30 to £60. £60 gets you an amazing seat but I don't think there's a bad view in the house at Wembley. There's a fiver discount per ticket if you're in the Supporters Club as well so you can go for £25.

When I first moved here I looked at going to the Aviva for an Ireland game as it is only round the corner but I couldn't believe the price I was being quoted and they wanted you to book for two games instead of just one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Let's put this in context - there are 60,000 plus people at Wembley tonight.
    only Germany have a better gate in Europe. They are playing their closest neighbour and England are playing Moldova.

England loves international football and generally get by far the best gates in Europe. Considering the dross we play that should be respected.

I was talking about the players attitude as alluded to by Neville and Scholes, and the media's attitude in England, not the fans attitude. England still sail through the qualifying groups, but when they get there the media no longer bother trying to convince everyone that they can win tournaments like they used to. It appears they've given up on that and have at last recognised their international team as a level below Italy, Germany, Spain and Brazil and Argentina and not really competitive in terms of winning tournaments.

In England they've been talking about a long term approach again recently in the hopes of being competitive by 2022, which is probably the correct way to go about it. Takes discipline to do that, it'll cost money, and the rewards if any will be long term. Ireland needs to do the same, invest in improving the technique of kids and hope to reap the rewards 10 or 15 years down the line. They've been talking about that sort of long term strategy for decades in England and here. They kind of have to do it now, otherwise international teams from Ireland, England and Scotland etc. will become increasingly irrelevant.

The thread was posing the question is international football dead, it's not but it's in bad nick around here. The thread was inspired by a bookies ad campaign, bookies don't like international breaks because they miss the profits from the weekend coupons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Lars1916 wrote: »
    10000+ in the attendance are Austrians though ;)
    was at that game last night.
    Could easily have been tipping 20,000 Austrians but that still makes something like 50,000 Germans there and there would have been more if the Austrians (and the odd neutral like myself) werent so sharp in getting the public sale tickets for the few hours they were on sale!

Austria were admittedly poor and aside from a positive start they showed nothing.
    So actually kindof like a top of table v bottom of Premiership/ Bundesliga/ La Liga game so .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Beefy78 wrote: »
    £30 to £60. £60 gets you an amazing seat but I don't think there's a bad view in the house at Wembley. There's a fiver discount per ticket if you're in the Supporters Club as well so you can go for £25.

When I first moved here I looked at going to the Aviva for an Ireland game as it is only round the corner but I couldn't believe the price I was being quoted and they wanted you to book for two games instead of just one.

Is £30 to £60 not expensive? You're saying you can't believe the price at the Aviva, which at the standard €45 for qualifiers is only a small bit more than Wembleys cheapest ticket and a tenner for kids. It's also €20 usually for friendlies. Was only in Wembley once for the Ireland game and was charged £55 a ticket for a friendly, and was hardly a top level seat at the back of the upper stand (view still decent tbf)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur.

Who do you support as a matter of interest, and would you be as quick to drop them if they went through a bad spell or were as equally as bad to watch as Ireland under Trap?

You don't just support a team when they are playing well and playing good football...that's the easy part.

You can support a team when and how you like to be honest.

People have no right to belittle others because they don't watch or go to enough games.

It's just a sport at the end of the day, it's ridiculous that people get bothered by things like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I believe that the Blatter/Platini anti club stance, has actually made International football a lot less enjoyable ; I used to love mid week International matches during the season , but having these International weeks at the start of the season , is a big turn off for me , anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I feel no connection toward the national team and never have. I've been to games but found it very hard to care much once the final whistle went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

GTR63 wrote: »
    Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Given past comments. It's meant at Liverpool.

Given your comment now. It's meant at both.

;)

Has to be Liverpool..Chelsea finished 6th :P:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I like international football but I hate international weekends. The games should be spread out better, there's not enough football on today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I like international football but I hate international weekends. The games should be spread out better, there's not enough football on today.

As far as I know thats the plan for qualifying campaigns from now on.
    http://www.uefa.com/uefa/events/marketing/media-rights-and-services/news/newsid=1939716.html

UEFA also took the opportunity at Soccerex to provide more details of the 'Week of Football' concept for the European qualifiers for UEFA EURO 2016 and the 2018 FIFA World Cup, with matches taking place from Thursday to Tuesday. Kick-off times will be largely set at 18.00CET and 20.45CET on Saturdays and Sundays and 20.45CET for Thursdays, Fridays, Mondays and Tuesdays. On double-header matchweeks, teams will play on Thursday and Sunday or Friday and Monday or Saturday and Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Lads , I love internationals, I love watching and supporting Ireland. I love watching the premiership, but there is nothing better than edge of the seat heart in the mouth moments when I am watching an Ireland game. I think the premiership is loosing its appeal. Ok my team lost this weekend but there is still another 30 odd matches to go to make up for it so a loss or a win isnt as significant as it is with the internationals.

Also nothing unites the country and ups the feel good factor than watching Ireland win (dosnt happen to often) a match or qualify for a tournament.

Remember Houghton against England/Italy, Keane against Germany McAteer against Holland. O Learys peno, these are the moments I remember and the moments where the whole country was cheering as one wearing green

You dont get that watching the premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Seriously? There are hundreds of games on today. You could even have gone the 20 minutes out of Dublin to the Bray v UCD game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think international matches should go towards how they operate in rugby where all the games are played within a short period of time. They should box off a 3/4 weeks a year to play all the required games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

mitosis wrote: »
    Seriously? There are hundreds of games on today. You could even have gone the 20 minutes out of Dublin to the Bray v UCD game.

I was at our own game last night, wasn't able to afford to go to another game today. Louth derby should've been on TV somewhere.

I'll likely watch River later, but the options today are obviously much more limited than normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I think international matches should go towards how they operate in rugby where all the games are played within a short period of time. They should box off a 3/4 weeks a year to play all the required games.
    actually..... if you are going to see a universal winter break from club activity in preparation for the winter world cup, you could easily factor in a clatter of games every other year there is no actual euros or world cup.
    Maybe not all games at once, but definitely a concentration of qualifier activity would be possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I can see both sides to the argument.

Personally my interest in the national team has declined drastically since Trap took over and I rarely watch a game. When I do I just get angry and embarrassed. Outside of MUFC and Ireland to an extent, I've no vested interest so I just enjoy watching good football. For me that is dipping into alll the major leagues watching some games of note, and the Champions league.

International football is too disjointed and volatile to have excellent matches until you get to the actual tournaments themselves, which are then enjoyable. But at the same time there is plenty of rubbish matches.

With the advent of the financial power and prowess of club football, and the investment they make financially in their players, this comes with them having a close eye and personal interest in their players that play for international teams. And then we started to see the pullouts with odd injuries and all that messing.

Sorry but for me international football lost all what it is about when players started to pull out of squads with niggly injuries, to ensure they can appear for their club the following weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

K-9 wrote: »
    Having said that, I don't understand people not following Ireland or whatever country they are from.

Says a lad from Donegal with a Liverpool picture in his signature. :rolleyes:

Advertisement