Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question....

Options
  • 05-09-2013 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

"Corrupted file system"

Is that when your NTFS goes down the drain...

or is it when a windows system file gets corrupted?

Im pretty sure its the NTFS but just need to be sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

insignia33 wrote: »
    "Corrupted file system"

Is that when your NTFS goes down the drain...

or is it when a windows system file gets corrupted?

Im pretty sure its the NTFS but just need to be sure.
    Yep it is the ntfs. It can also mean your hard disk is failing. Backup now if you can Then run chkdsk. If there's any mission critical data on it I'd stop using it, use a Linux utility to copy an image of it to a new (larger) disk and run data recovery like testdisk or photorec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭insignia33

Thanks for the input KAGY :) Im just trying to get some of this theory down, I have a test next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

A corrupted file system can occur on computers with many different operating systems, not just Windows. NTFS refers to a particular file system. While mostly used on hard disks, it can be used on removable flash drives for specific purposes - i.e. installing Windows 7 from a USB drive.

On Windows, FAT32 and exFAT are available also, these are mostly used on smaller removable drives like USB sticks. Back in the day, it was possible to install Windows XP on a FAT partition (this was not a good idea by the way).

File systems can also provide more advanced features like journaling.

Advertisement