Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cover Letter & CV Services

Options
  • 05-09-2013 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all,

I need to get a cover letter and cv done quickly.

Is there anywhere in Waterford City that does this service?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Astral upstairs in the book center is the best IMO.
    You could just Google one and copy the format

• Registered Users Posts: 40 beatriss

Hi aaaaahhhh,

I did go online and use a template but overall it wasn't very impressive!

I think I could do with some help on the wording especially for the cover letter. So was looking for somewhere that could help with that too.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TheVandal

beatriss wrote: »
    Hi aaaaahhhh,

I did go online and use a template but overall it wasn't very impressive!

I think I could do with some help on the wording especially for the cover letter. So was looking for somewhere that could help with that too.

Thanks

Hi Beatriss, here is the cover letter format you need- I had mine done professionally as part of my redundancy package. Obviously, you'll want to edit certain parts etc- here's the cover letter; ill see if i can find a copy of my cv for you- i'll PM that to you.

To Whomever it may concern,

I wish to apply for the role of [INSERT JOB TITLE] as advertised through the FÁS and Job bridge websites:

Ref. JOB-715695

I have extensive experience in working with computers and am fully familiar with Customer Service protocols.

As you will see from my enclosed CV, I have worked for the past number of years in a fast paced and dynamic environment in telecommunications. My relevant experience includes:

ÿ Ability to work autonomously and as part of team with strong

communication and literacy skills

ÿ PC and IT skills

ÿ Ability to work in a fast paced and changing environment

ÿ Excellent customer service skills

ÿ Attention to detail

Kind regards

[INSERT NAME]

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TheVandal

PM'd

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

• Advertisement

Hi,

Thanks so much excellent posts very informative!!

I will get cracking.....no doubt I will be up to the wee small hours!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Remember the rule seems to be one page ideally, two pages at the absolute max (for a CV). Keep it relevant for the job you are applying (ie tailor it)!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sully wrote: »
    Remember the rule seems to be one page ideally, two pages at the absolute max (for a CV). Keep it relevant for the job you are applying (ie tailor it)!

Disagree. Depends totally on the job and level of experience really. Having interviewed and reviewed many CV's, never fouund it an issue.

road_high wrote: »
    Disagree. Depends totally on the job and level of experience really. Having interviewed and reviewed many CV's, never fouund it an issue.

Was drilled into me in college, plenty of online websites back this up (including Harvard IIRC), and having interviewed and reviewed many CV's myself I kinda agree. I have friends and family in very large companies who looked over my own CV recently just to get an outsiders point of view and the feedback was the same.

Common practise seems to be one, two at most. I did an interview recently, my CV is two pages and she printed it double sided to keep it as one page.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sully wrote: »
    Was drilled into me in college, plenty of online websites back this up (including Harvard IIRC), and having interviewed and reviewed many CV's myself I kinda agree. I have friends and family in very large companies who looked over my own CV recently just to get an outsiders point of view and the feedback was the same.

Common practise seems to be one, two at most. I did an interview recently, my CV is two pages and she printed it double sided to keep it as one page.

Not at all. It's what's on the cv and the quality of the experience that counts. Whether it extends to 3 or 4 pages is immaterial really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

road_high wrote: »
    Not at all. It's what's on the cv and the quality of the experience that counts. Whether it extends to 3 or 4 pages is immaterial really.

That's your opinion, most other people seem to disagree. Being able to distill how brilliant you are into a concise document is a skill in itself. If it runs to 3 or 4 pages it suggests a person who can't summarise to key points very well (or someone who writes in Font 24!).

Hi all,

Finally got my CV and cover letter completed, signed and delivered.

Thanks for all the tips!

I ended up doing two Cv's one at two pages the other three.

I will let use know if I hear anything.

Thanks again

Advertisement