Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you have a fry up/full Irish?

Options
  • 05-09-2013 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

It's been months since I had one for breakfast sadly :( Absolutely love them, but their terrible for you. How often do you have them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Rarely. Think they are way too greasy in the mornings. Hate that puddle of grease on a plate.

Closest I usually get is a grilled black pudding and tomato with a poached egg. Nomnom.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

Molloy10 wrote: »
    It's been months since I had one for breakfast sadly :( Absolutely love them, but their terrible for you. How often do you have them?

Even worse for the animals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Having one right now. Does it still count if the rashers, sausages & pudding are grilled?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

A full fry up? Never. I'd always grill/air-fry. :D

As for a full breakfast, rarely. Probably once or twice a year, especially as a treat if we have friends over after a night out.

However, I would have the occasional black pudding/white pudding sandwich, or maybe a sausage in a roll about once or twice a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Once or twice a year! Christmas morning, as it's tradition. And then maybe if I'm staying in a hotel and manage to get up for breakfast. I'm not a huge fan, but they're nice the odd time. Have scrambled eggs most weekends, sometimes I'll have a piece of bacon or turkey bacon with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

About once every six week, but not usually for breakfast. And I don't fry anything apart from dry-frying mushrooms.

Sausages
    Pudding
    Bacon
    Poached Egg
    Spice Burger
    Tomato
    Beans
    Toast
    Tae

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Even worse for the animals

Please do not bring any anti-meat-eating agenda into this forum. This may be addressed in other, more suitable forums.

Thanks,

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

I think once a month I eat a full, greasy Irish breakfast and that's not too frequent. The best cup of tea you can drink is with that type of breakfast!

Btw, anyone know the difference between an Ulster and an Irish fry up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

They have farls or boxty I think on the ulster fry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Rarely a full one, but I like to have one if I'm travelling a long way that day as they keep you full until dinnertime almost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Extra ORANGE juice. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_breakfast#Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 17,589 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I never have a full irish, but have a reduced fry as my breakfast every day. Basically some bacon, gluten-free sausages and scrambled eggs with black coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

An actual full irish - very very rarely. Had rindless rashers, reduced fat gluten free sausages, vegtable roll, scrambled eggs, wholemeal toast and beans just yesterday morning - all fried in fry light. Would have also had boxty but the butchers had none left.

As close as you can get to a full irish on slimming world whilst staying syn free!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Not strictly on-topic, but I accidentally bought some of Clonakilty's gluten-free white pudding. I was expecting it to be awful but it was actually very very good- a bit blander than my favorite ordinary white pud (Rudds); I definitely wouldn't have guessed it was gluten-free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Almost never, I'm a one-pork-product-and-eggs-at-a-time girl. Rashers and eggs/sausages and eggs, eggs by themselves but I don't love a full Irish at all

• Registered Users Posts: 36 soundsofgeisha

I stopped having sausages because I didn't trust what was going into them! But if I'm in a restaurant for brunch and if they have nice looking big homemade sausages with loads of herbs, I'll go for that.

At home I'll have a veggie sausage from the Linda McCartney range, some scrambled eggs too. Sometimes on some rye bread.

Would have the brunch version maybe 5 - 10 times a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Myself and my ex used to take it in turns to make a "full Irish" each Saturday.

Mine consisted of homemade sausages (well the butcher's homemade:P), a slice of dark wholemeal toast, scrambled eggs with sun dried tomatoes or poached eggs, portobello mushrooms, ballymaloe relish and a big cup of shcauld...
    His was about 8 of those little tiny sausages (4 each!!), bacon, black pudding, fried eggs, white toast, fried mushrooms n onions could never get through it..... Started to realise I never felt good on a Saturday come about 4 o'clock and stopped eating them.

Was watching Nigel Slater (I find him so annoying tbh) this evening and he made a breakfast which was basically sausages taken out of their casing fried with a pan with onions and mushrooms I think (he said to throw in whatever you fancy) and eggs added at the end...... Looked delish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Only the odd time and I only actually dry-fry the egg (or poach) and mushrooms, but a nice addition is a tomato with the top chopped off, then each segment about half emptied and filled with cheese, grilled for as long as the rashers/sausages. Gawrjis, so it is!

EDIT: Oh, and McCabridges with a good slobbering of butter is absolutely key to any full breakfast.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We have one maybe once a month, at a maximum (usually reserved for bad hangovers). I don't actually like half the components though, so I tend to just eat sausages, fried eggs, black pudding and toast, maybe a grilled tomato.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The "full" Irish, rarely. But I eat eggs, rashers, sausages, mushrooms in various combinations all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'll have a full Irish only 3 or 4 times a year, when there's a crowd in the house for brunch.
    I have grilled rashers and tomatoes with toast for breakfast most Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

Did a big meat shop yesterday in the butchers and had some sausages, pudding roulade and rashers this morning, gorgeous!

REBK2dvl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

I'm hungover I'd murder one now. Where's me mammy

spiderjazz wrote: »
    Did a big meat shop yesterday in the butchers and had some sausages, pudding roulade and rashers this morning, gorgeous!

Where did you get the black and white pudding in one like that? Saw it for the first time ever in a guesthouse I was in last weekend and I loved it!

Where did you get the black and white pudding in one like that? Saw it for the first time ever in a guesthouse I was in last weekend and I loved it!

I also saw it in a guesthouse last weekend...

/Suspicious eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Rarely have a full fry up but tradition to always have one on Christmas morning after the kids Santa presents are done. I do love a grilled rasher, slightly crispy with some scrambled eggs once a week though!

Faith wrote: »
    I also saw it in a guesthouse last weekend...

/Suspicious eyes

:eek: Were you in Achill??

:eek: Were you in Achill??

No, Kinsale. Funny coincidence though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Or for that matter, the difference between an Irish, Ulster, Scottish, Welsh and English breakfast?

Ulster and Scottish will have "tattie scons" (potato bread).
    Ulster will have soda farls (fried white soda bread, I think).
    All the others are pretty much the same, depending on who you ask with variations in beans, potatoes/hash brown/chips, mushrooms etc.

I very rarely have a full fry - usually when we have visitors - but often have streaky rashers or sausages or black pudding but rarely together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Not very often (unfortunately) maybe 1 a month or slightly less, although not actually fried - George Foreman to the rescue and poached eggs. Any time I stay in a hotel with a buffet breakfast though I eat about 6 months worth at a sitting, it's perfect after drinking food!

Advertisement