Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you have a fry up/full Irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Never really. The odd time I'll really really want bacon so I'll have a bacon sandwich (that's happened once this year) or this weekend I made bagels so I cooked some bacon to go with them but I really couldn't be bothered going to the effort of a full fry. There's too much in it for me anyway. I'm more of an eggs and toast fan.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

:eek: Were you in Achill??
    If you got it in Achill, it was probably made by Dominic Kelly in Newport. Several of the Westport butchers stock it; I've certainly seen it in Walsh's butcher beside Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Paddy Dangerfield

I'll have the 'makings' of a fry about once a month, usually on a Saturday. Have very much moved into the quality of the ingredients over the quantity of them camp. I'd also grill many of the ingredients.

It's mainly just an excuse to eat black pudding. Many of the new artisan puddings are amazing, and if I'm using it in a salad or main dish, then I'll use the rest on the Saturday morning - buying the sausages and rashers to accompany it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Andymiller

I am new member and first posting so go easy,,,I have beans with mine I guess that's not in the original

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Where did you get the black and white pudding in one like that? Saw it for the first time ever in a guesthouse I was in last weekend and I loved it!

Rudd's seems the most common - check for pudding roulade
    http://www.rudds.ie/breakfast-products-page.html

Kellys also stock their own version
    http://www.kellysbutchers.com/products.html

They're the only two I've seen/tasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Once a week or more, great auld start to the day:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Never, really. Breakfast just does nothing for me. I'd rather wait a couple of hours and have lunch.

Even if I'm staying in a hotel I'll very, very rarely bother my arse going down for breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

€5 breakfast about 4 or 5 times a week, usually about 10.30 to 11.30, keeps me going til the dinner at 6.30. Bottle of water/ribena,mints to tide me over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Once a week for lunch! BTW an ulster fry is quality. The addition of the soda bread is mouth wateringly good!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Only if I were staying in a hotel which isn't very often. Last time was in the Brehon in Killarney. The breakfast was self service and you could get as many helpings as you want. There was a woman at the table next to me 4 times she went up to fill her plate with a fry and ate the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,851 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

not very often - i actually can't eat that much in the mornings. A bowl of cereal is usually more than enough for me.

I find if I eat a fry I just feel sick after and it makes me feel really bloated for hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Or for that matter, the difference between an Irish, Ulster, Scottish, Welsh and English breakfast?

Ulster and Scottish will have "tattie scons" (potato bread).
    Ulster will have soda farls (fried white soda bread, I think).
    All the others are pretty much the same, depending on who you ask with variations in beans, potatoes/hash brown/chips, mushrooms etc.

The English full breakfast has a fried slice of bread, I've never seen this addition in Irish versions.

I think the Welsh one involves cockles, traditionally anyway, but it probably doesn't really happen in everyday life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭donegal_man

The English full breakfast has a fried slice of bread, I've never seen this addition in Irish versions.

I think the Welsh one involves cockles, traditionally anyway, but it probably doesn't really happen in everyday life.

Without doubt the best hangover cure in England

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The morning after a game of darts, before the golf, and needed cos of the drinking whilst playing said darts. Usually once a year. Also the morning after a mates wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Once a week/whenever I can get to Matt the Rashers in Harolds Cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I'd have a full Irish breakfast 2/3,times a year, when we have guests. Everything would be grilled though so don't know if that counts as a fry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

I'd probably have a full Irish maybe 5/6 times a year, with a monster one on Christmas morning. Although, I'd have smaller variations every weekend. Sausages and eggs, black pudding and eggs, etc. I get my sausages from the butchers and they are monsters, basically a meal in themselves.

Not really a full fry either, it always turns into a holistic cooker affair for the full fry. I bake the sausages, grill the rashers and tomatoes, fry the eggs and pudding, plus a pot for the baked beans, lots of cleaning anyway! Always have soda bread and lots of strong tea.

Saying all this, I'm currently six months preggers still with morning sickness so have not had a full Irish at all. I've put in a request for a monster fry for the first meal at home after the birth, which could be Christmas day anyway!

Very very rare that I would have a full fry - for a start, I don't fry any of it. I used to have one every christmas morning, steak included, but haven't in a few of years.

I would eat sausages (george foremanned) and poached eggs quite often, then depending on my humour I would have spinach/tomatoes/mushrooms too.

Three times this year I've had a "full irish". Once on a trip away with friends and I made the brekkie. Once when I stayed in a B&B (the nice lady even served warm homemade scones and bread), and most recently I did a big fcuk off mixed grill for dinner one night which was truly epic. Sausages, rashers, pudding, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, fried potatoes, and toast. EPIC.

3 times this year is a lot for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Really need to unsubscribe from this thread. As someone who said I'm not a big fan of fry ups, it's bloody well making me crave one....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I have to disagree, we often had fried bread with a fry when I was growing up & I know it was the same for many other families back then too. I actually did some for myself a couple of weeks ago - I hadn't had it in years. It was fab.

For me - I'll have a fry (well, a grill really) maybe once a month. Usually grilled tomatoes, streaky rashers, Kearns sausages, two fried eggs (over easy) from a farmer pal down the road & a couple of slices of bread & butter (preferably white bread - but usually brown as Mrs HB does the shopping :().

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd completely forgotten about fried bread! My dad always made it as part of the Full Irish when we were growing up.
    I usually make a pan-sized hash brown with mine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The only time I've ever had fried bread was in Wales (and it was manky too, like it had been put in a deep fat fryer with year-old oil).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As a bit of an aside - my Mum used to tell me that in her family they traditionally had a fry on a Saturday evening. She always maintained that it was the best meal of the week.

The reason being that the pan was cleaned only once a week & that was for my Grandad's breakfast on a Sunday morning. All the meals for the rest of the week were cooked in the same pan with the same lard - extra added if needed. So, by the following Saturday evening all the bits & scraps of the week's meal (fish, beef, chicken, pork, onions, tomatoes, etc) were built up in the fat day by day, & apparently gave the fried bread especially a marvellous flavour. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

We had fried bread growing up in Ireland too.
    Awful greasy stuff that oozed oil and fat when you bit into it.
    Funnily enough, I have in the last week done fried bread myself and it was delicious. If you use good bread and just a little bit of nice fat (mine was pork and bacon fat) it is delicious and no more greasy than a slice of buttered toast.
    Another new discovery for me:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We used to have fried bread too! Found it too greasy until I got older and started loving fat and then I used to plan ways I could steal my granny's Dripping Bowl without anyone knowing it was me. Fried bread in random animal fat dripping (or barnlard as we used to call it) was pretty nice. Pretty nice indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Eggs benny with crispy hash browns and bacon is my fry up however not arsed making a hollandaise and nobody around sells it so never

Please do not bring any anti-meat-eating agenda into this forum. This may be addressed in other, more suitable forums.

Thanks,

tHB

Must be a Farmer ? :D

I love the aul fry, every couple of months.

Xmas morning with fried xmas pudding, oh yeah, can't beat it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I have to disagree, we often had fried bread with a fry when I was growing up & I know it was the same for many other families back then too. I actually did some for myself a couple of weeks ago - I hadn't had it in years. It was fab.

I do think it's a far more prevalent addition in the UK. As in, my old work canteen had various fry components to choose from and one of those components was fried bread, which I have never seen anywhere in Ireland in either cafes or canteens. Some people probably do do it at home though.

• Advertisement

Oh yes I love fried bread as a rare treat, fried in rapeseed oil as a healthier option.

Fried batch loaf or home made soda bread I think it is, Jaysus it's lovely ! :D

Fried in garlic is lovely too !

Advertisement