Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you have a fry up/full Irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Must be a Farmer ? :D
    I'm descendant from many, many generations of cattle farmers, slaughtermen & butchers. But I sold my soul to the IT Devil. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Oh yes I love fried bread as a rare treat, fried in rapeseed oil as a healthier option.

Fry it butter or animal fat. Tastier and actually much better for you than rapeseed oil. *drools*

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tastier probably, but healthier? I'm not so sure. Rapeseed oil is generally one of the least processed fat products & is highly recommended by nutritionists.

But, let's get back on topic to our probably not-so-healthy fries. :)

Fry it butter or animal fat. Tastier and actually much better for you than rapeseed oil. *drools*

Animal fat better for you than rapeseed oil April ? :D

I'd say good O'l fashioned lard would taste best of all ! :)

Remember when your parents used to fry with lard and then let it cool in the pan and keep it until next time ? yuck ! :eek:

I'm descendant from many, many generations of cattle farmers, slaughtermen & butchers. But I sold my soul to the IT Devil. :p

Ah you'd be better off farming than putting up with the BS in the world of IT ! :)

• Advertisement

Tastier probably, but healthier? I'm not so sure. Rapeseed oil is generally one of the least processed fat products & is highly recommended by nutritionists.

But, let's get back on topic to our probably not-so-healthy fries. :)

Can't beat the O'l pigs blood ! yum yum.

They don't make it in the pigs stomach though these days do they ?

Rape seed is healthy, but it has a higher flash point too meaning less blackening of the meat compared to say olive oil which isn't really suitable for frying.

Can't beat the o'l lard though.

Animal fat better for you than rapeseed oil April ? :D

I'd say good O'l fashioned lard would taste best of all ! :)

Yup, healthier. :) That's for a different forum, but there absolutely tons of info over there about it if you're interested.

I never use industrial vegetable oils myself. Olive oil, clarified butter (which I make myself every few weeks) or occasionally lard are the only oils I use.

Anything fried in clarified butter = yummy. :)

Yup, healthier. :) That's for a different forum, but there absolutely tons of info over there about it if you're interested.

I never use industrial vegetable oils myself. Olive oil, clarified butter (which I make myself every few weeks) or occasionally lard are the only oils I use.

Anything fried in clarified butter = yummy. :)

Ha Ha there's a healthy thread ?

Why wouldn't you use oils ?

Can't beat the o'l Clonakilty rashers and sausages and pudding, having said that I like Denny too.

Fecking hell I haven't even a sausage in the house for the morning !

I do have bread to fry though and garlic with some chilly, yum yum. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's rare that I'd have a full Irish, but often on the weekends I'd fry up a few sausages with beans and some toast.

Usually though I throw my chopped fried sausages into a big pot of pasta and add a half jar of pesto. Absolutely delish.

Ha Ha there's a healthy thread ?

Why wouldn't you use oils ?

Healthy forum! ;)
    Can't beat the o'l Clonakilty rashers and sausages and pudding, having said that I like Denny too.

+1 on Clonakilty sausages. If I can't get to a butcher, these are the best of the shop ones. Hate Denny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Sigourney

Fried in garlic is lovely too !

Fried a load of home-made burgers this evening. A big pan of oniony fat sitting on the cooker now like a right little slut. That pan is on a serious promise.

Sigourney wrote: »
    Fried a load of home-made burgers this evening. A big pan of oniony fat sitting on the cooker now like a right little slut. That pan is on a serious promise.

jaysus, this is getting dangerously unhealthy now !!! :D

Home made burgers with fried onions and garlic, jaysus, ;)

Healthy forum! ;)

+1 on Clonakilty sausages. If I can't get to a butcher, these are the best of the shop ones. Hate Denny.

I like Denny sausages and absolutely love Clonakilty rashers and pudding. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Lads, I am dying here. I live in the middle of nowhere in the middle east and would kill for a full Irish Breakfast. They sell pork here but its terrible quality ans 15 euro for 4 of the smallest rashers you have ever seen.

No matter what time of day it is when I land back home I have a full Irish (all grilled bar the egg) I stay with my folks when I am home and my Mum has it pre made for when I walk in the door. So maybe 3 times a year. Although the last time I was home I would say I had a Irish breakfast everyday for a week but I am counting that one time.

The norm is Christmas morning, although I was here last here last year for it. My GF at the time had her family over to mine, you should have seen there faces when they found out what black pudidng was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Every Saturday morning we have a 'big' breakfast. No one is rushing off to school or work so it's one of our favourite family meals.

Sunday mornings is something like a bacon/sausage and egg muffin - yum - not too much, in anticipation of the Sunday roast coming later - the big meal of the week! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The English full breakfast has a fried slice of bread, I've never seen this addition in Irish versions.
    I have never seen fried bread whenever I got a "full irish" in a hotel/cafe/restaurant here. Others say they had it, and of course I am not doubting them, I have just never seen it on menus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_breakfast
    England[edit source | editbeta]
    A traditional full English breakfast includes bacon (traditionally back bacon[5]), poached or fried eggs, fried or grilled tomatoes, fried mushrooms, fried bread or toast with butter, sausages and baked beans, usually served with a mug of tea. As nearly everything is fried in this meal, it is commonly called a "fry-up"......

Ireland[edit source | editbeta]

An Irish breakfast consisting of sausage, black and white pudding, bacon and fried eggs
    In Ireland, as elsewhere, the exact constituents of a full breakfast vary, depending on geographical area, personal taste and cultural affiliation. Traditionally, the most common ingredients are bacon rashers, sausages, fried eggs, white pudding, black pudding, toast and fried tomato.[6] Sauteed mushrooms are also sometimes included,[7] as well as baked beans, liver (although popularity has declined in recent years), and brown soda bread.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_bread
    A full English breakfast will often include a fried slice. A traditional Irish breakfast is usually accompanied by soda bread but in Northern Ireland an Ulster fry can contain fried soda farls.

The usual questionable item is baked beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I clearly remember my grandmother including fried bread as an ingredient in the 1970s.
    It was part of a full Irish in Dublin back then.

I clearly remember my grandmother including fried bread as an ingredient in the 1970s.
    It was part of a full Irish in Dublin back then.

Some people do seem to do it, but it doesn't seem to anywhere near as widespread as the UK, where it's expected pretty much everywhere, across society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Baked beans have no place in a breakfast IMHO.

Making a breakfast sambo at home is amazing (after not having pork for 6 months). I get the gluten free sausages and puddings from clonakilty ( the pudding isnt great), runny fried egg, rashers, mushrooms all squashed into two slices of super value gluten free bread, most of it falls out and the bread, being so small has the added value of making you feel like a giant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

We used to get fried bread at home, but only if my mam wasn't there, she hates it, but my dad loves it.

I can take or leave it, but I don't usually fry my full Irish, so frying the bread and not getting the taste from the other fried products is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We do a fry up almost every Saturday, but traditional it ain't.

It usually consists of hash browns or waffles, baked beans, fried mushrooms, egg (either scrambled or fried), and Lind McCartney sausages, accompanied by buttered toast.

Fry home made white soda bread or Batch loaf and it's gorgeous, the normal white sliced pan isn't nearly as nice and not what they would have fried years ago either. !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OMG I want a big fry up now....!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Now, rarely. Have sausages and eggs a few weekends a month, but have never cooked a full Irish, only when staying at a hotel and its included in the price so you have to :P

Was thinking about when I lived at home, and how it was also rare till I remembered we would have one for dinner every couple of weeks! This would include a cowboy egg, which was a piece of fried bread with a hole cut out of the middle and an egg fried in the hole, with the piece cut out also fried and placed on top like a little hat :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

We'd rarely do the full fry-up - when we have guests mostly. I love the idea of it more than I love the reality. There is always bacon in our fridge for a sneaky bacon sandwich though. I do like sausages but can't get good ones in the UK. Sausage delights are reserved for visiting the homeland. :)

When I was growing up we'd have a fry for dinner once a week and I loved it. It was always 2 grilled sausages, 2 grilled rashers, 1 slice each grilled black and white pudding, optional beans and/or mushrooms and, as far as I was concerned, the piece de resistance of a mound of boiled, sliced and fried spuds with salt and vinegar. A slice or two of batch bread, a mug of tea, a blob of ketchup and sat in front of the telly watching Parker Lewis Can't Lose on a Friday night...bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

dipdip wrote: »
    We'd rarely do the full fry-up - when we have guests mostly. I love the idea of it more than I love the reality. There is always bacon in our fridge for a sneaky bacon sandwich though. I do like sausages but can't get good ones in the UK. Sausage delights are reserved for visiting the homeland. :)

I think the exact opposite. Cumberland or Lincolnshire sausages FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

I think the exact opposite. Cumberland or Lincolnshire sausages FTW.

No way. Cumberland and Lincolnshire have a good pork content and texture, but the seasoning is invariably bland. I have found that the cheapest Irish breakfast sausage is superior in terms of seasoning to the best UK sausages. I just don't bother eating them here anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Does anybody do a "bake up", i.e. do all the usual fry up things in the oven. I love rashers in the oven, they come out so evenly cooked and can be done to death without any black burn marks. Sausages are also done evenly with no effort needed keeping an eye on them or turning, many people hate any white patches left on sausages, they come out all brown like a chipper deep frier.

I have never done it but I reckon you that when the bacon is cooked on a baking tray you could take it off and crack and egg in the leftover fat and so do a fried egg in the oven too.

It might make the job easier if doing a fry up for lots of people, I could fit 3 baking trays in my oven, in total about 9 times the area of my largest frying pan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

rubadub wrote: »
    Does anybody do a "bake up", i.e. do all the usual fry up things in the oven.

I haven't done rashers, but I love sausages cooked in the oven. And when I'm doing a full Irish I roast the tomatoes - it's so much handier.

How do you do your rashers in the oven, what temperature and for how long? Do you put another baking tray on top to keep them flat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Having one right now. Does it still count if the rashers, sausages & pudding are grilled?

They taste better that way anyways

Advertisement