Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you have a fry up/full Irish?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

How do you do your rashers in the oven, what temperature and for how long? Do you put another baking tray on top to keep them flat?
    I go as hot as possible, I think mine goes to about 260C. I think they are done in 5-7 mins, maybe 10 max, I never really time, just keep checking, I like them really well done, so the fat is like crackling and can snap like a cracker.

I do not attempt to keep them flat, no need, that's the beauty of the oven. I hate when you fry or grill rashers and they start to curl up at the edges, then you get bits going black near the grill elements or really well fried bits of fat and other bits of fat not cooked nearly enough. I used to be snipping rashers with a scissors where they curl to try and keep them flat, or pressing them with a spatula to force uncooked fat down to brown it. Out of the oven its pretty much uniform no matter how curled up they get.

I sometimes use a baking tray with baking paper, but also those mesh things you usually use in the grill is good as it lets the hot air freely circulate around them cooking more evenly and the fat freely falls off. I do not bother turning them.

Thats another trick to get more into the oven, using the grill mesh with rashers on top, and sausages underneath it, enough fat falls off the sausages so you don't have to use baking paper.

I also cook mince beef in baking trays in the oven, I get the full pack of uncompressed mince and ruffle it out evenly into the tray so its all nicely exposed and hot air can circulate. I do that on full for 10mins and its lovely & browned. I tip it to one corner and collect all the fat in a bowl. I then dump the mince in another bowl, then I pour water in the baking tray with some washing up liquid and stick it back in the still hot oven. The residual heat then goes to work and the tray can be just rinsed off later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I very rarely have the full Irish Breakfast but I would have a reduced variation of it once every week or so - sometimes just 2 grilled sausages and toast - so very reduced!! Usually Id only have a proper one in a hotel.

Unfortunately my hubby hates mushrooms so I rarely bother cooking them just for myself - but they are an essential part of what I consider to be the full Irish.

We used to have fried bread on it as kids too. I love a grilled tomato on mine, yummy. Although Id add baked beans these days, I didnt growing up. Actually I have often had a veggie version of the full Irish with baked beans, scrambled eggs, mushrooms, a grilled tomato and a hash brown.

During a summer in the states I was introduced to steak and eggs for breakfast - so thats a rare treat sometimes - more of a brunch really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Thanks Rubadub, I'll give it a try. I love crisp fat on my rashers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Very seldom.

Cooked breakfasts don't sit easy in my stomach. Ever since I had my gallbladder removed, I feel queasy when I eat greasy food.

I will sometimes have a grilled sausage and maybe a circle or two of Denny white pudding (my Dad calls it "letting on pudding"), but very seldom.

I love washing it down with a glass of orange juice and eating a slice of batch bread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Max once every 2 months, normally if away in a hotel over a weekend recovering from a heavy night before...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I have grilled bacon and scrambled eggs every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭blackwave

Had one about two weeks ago. Made the mistake of buying Denny Black and White Pudding though, the white is way to salty for my liking.

Advertisement