Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Songs you never want to hear again..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Linda Martin singing Get Lucky

If you want more comedy gold, look up After the Gold Rush by Six and Celine Dion's version of You shook me all night long.
    You're welcome/apologies in advance (depending on reaction).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Surely this twee shopping centre music version wins ? :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

gctest50 wrote: »

Not the worst thing you will hear but I feel Wagon Wheel has inspired some of the truly awful songs like Do Dat Diddly Ding Dang that try to replicate the same sound and fail. Wagon Wheel was part written by Bob Dylan but those writing imitations of it are not Dylans that is for sure. Ex-boyband singers, radio DJs and promoters writing songs and who are not songwriters and these types winning awards for trash they write is why the Irish music business is a conveyer belt for bad songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

Anthing by Simply Red (fairground esp);

Simply Red I can take or leave. I wouldn't actively make an effort to listen to any of their stuff, but I wouldn't normally change the station if they came on the radio. You're right though, Fairground was an atrocious song, as were most of the songs on the album from the early 2000's ("say you love me all around the world...")
    the boo fcuking radleys;
    The only song I know of theirs is "Wake Up Boo", a footnote in 90's music (at best), but I've nothing against it. It really was just an inoffensive run-of-the-mill pop/rock song of the era that wasn't trying to be something it wasn't, IMHO
    aqua
    That crowd bursting onto the scene, in retrospect, signalled the beginning of the general decline in music that you hear on radio stations that mainly play Top 40
    and wet wet wet - the song that was no1 for about 14 weeks in the 90's.

I remember that vividly even though I was only a small child at the time. Their song "Goodnight Girl" was being played a lot on radio stations around the same time. Would put you in a fcuking coma so it would. 1994 IIRC. The same year that Garth Brooks played Dublin to immense publicity and the line-dancing craze took almost every pub and sports establishment in South County Dublin by storm. Cringe.com
    And every single 'remade for tv adverts' oh-so-breathy-slowed-and-acoustic cover. Some geebag made money for his desecration of higher love...for shame!
    You can add the slowed-down-to-a-fully-loaded-fiat-bambino-climing-a-1-in-3-hill-in-4th-gear pace version of "Everybody's Free" used by a chain of pharmacies on radio ads to that very long list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,873 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

gctest50 wrote: »

Is that the version that puts in a kind of echo/electronic line randomly in the middle?
    I'm not going to check the vid 'cos I value my phone and don't want to smash it against the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Even by the Century Steel Band :eek:

ANYONE!!!!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Is that the version that puts in a kind of echo/electronic line randomly in the middle?
    I'm not going to check the vid 'cos I value my phone and don't want to smash it against the wall.

That's the one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Irlande Douze Points.

Any and all Ritchie Kavanagh or Crystal Swing numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think I've posted it before but Maroon 5 "This Love" is a song I have a warrated hatred for. I was working shifts in a factory when it was first released and it was played on repeat, pretty much every 2 hours or change over of DJs.

But I'd also add "Groove is in the Heart", it was before my time a bit so I never heard it when it first came out but there's something about it that means it's an instant switch off or mute. I can't put my finger on it.

There's also a Snow Patrol song that was being played when a migraine kicked in so it reminds me of that.
    Basement Jaxx, "Romeo" had the same effect, by effect I mean coincidental timing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

That dirt by Picture This about "I'll treat you like your father treats your mother"

Wow...really deep lyrics there.

Just shows popular doesn't mean good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

AnthonyCny wrote: »
    Anything by Picture This or that

Picture this: me kicking them all up the hole for making terrible whiny millennial drivel the world does not need. Must be a lot of tasteless nobodys that like tallentless crap!

How, oh how, has that monotonous bland load of bollox despash*tty escaped this sacred list of spew! The aural torture that clogged radio stations for months, day in day out, like a huge guinness sh*te that refuses to flush. I am quite proud of the lengths I went to avoid even being in the presence of those brainwashed let alone the radios blaring this nonsense (gluing radios onto other stations was one such length)

Both the hoors that made it and the hoors that gormlessly hummed to it need to be shoved into a skip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Either Boards.ie search engine isn't working or, AMAZINGLY , no one has suggested this one:

In about three weeks, prepare to have your ears assaulted almost continuously (or so it seems) by the drivel that passes for Christmas spirit nowadays:

"The Christmas Shoes". God, it puts me right off Christmas.

Irlande Douze Points.

Any and all Ritchie Kavanagh or Crystal Swing numbers.

Things have gone way down since them and then. Yes all these were there in 2008 but those 3 acts would be much much preferable to the drivel we are getting now. At least you could have a laugh with Dustin and not be bored to tears like with Nicky Byrne and his bloody Sunlight. CS and RK are listenable and much much preferable to the onslaught of boyfolk we have today singing drivel composed by themselves, DJs and promoters. Lee Matthews and other ex boyband singers have truly made Irish country music the worst music ever. Give me Richie and his Aon Focal Eile or Pussy cat anyday before drivel like Lee Ann loves the dance, Baby baby I'm hypnotized or The farmer wants a wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Irelands call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Irelands call

Oooh divisive. I like it. Gets popcorn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭donegal_man

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Irelands call

It's not great but I still prefer it to The Fields of Athenry

Picture this: me kicking them all up the hole for making terrible whiny millennial drivel the world does not need. Must be a lot of tasteless nobodys that like tallentless crap!

How, oh how, has that monotonous bland load of bollox despash*tty escaped this sacred list of spew! The aural torture that clogged radio stations for months, day in day out, like a huge guinness sh*te that refuses to flush. I am quite proud of the lengths I went to avoid even being in the presence of those brainwashed let alone the radios blaring this nonsense (gluing radios onto other stations was one such length)

Both the hoors that made it and the hoors that gormlessly hummed to it need to be shoved into a skip

Picture This? Yet another boyband variation. The same old tired sound. When will the media stop parading bland bands and trying to push them as if they are the greatest thing ever. We have had boybands, girlbands, boy/girl bands, boyfolk music, boysolo and this boyduo of Picture This is the latest thing. All these bands like Westlife, Snow Patrol, One Direction, Original Rude Boys, Six, Picture This and all the rest of them are all the same tired bland fodder. Then you have ex BB members doing s0-called country like Lee Matthews. All these bands and their singers are the same. Overrated, overhyped. Only one that was a bit of fun were Wondervillains singing TV: so bad it was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

"This is the closest thing to crazy I have ever beeeeeeen"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Heard the Reynolds Girls earlier on Vintage, I'd Rather Jack, If I hear it again i'd rather puck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Deedsie wrote: »
    How? The fields of Athenry is a great song. This is a powerful version.

https://youtu.be/kkVG7HJqfwY

Ireland's call is a pile a fake ****e.

The Fields Of Athenry was great until some wanker added that "Hey baby let the free birds fly" puke to the chorus.

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Heard the Reynolds Girls earlier on Vintage, I'd Rather Jack, If I hear it again i'd rather puck

LMAO!!!

I remember that one well.
    I wonder if Fleetwood Mac actually ever heard it??

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Brown Eyed Girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Brown Eyed Girl.
    +1. EVERY fecking day on the jukebox in the canteen in NUIG back in the 90s,,,,:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

maryishere wrote: »
    Fields of Athenry. Horrible tune when you hear it at matches.

esp with IRA and SF added

(and we accused the north of being bigots)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

That Picture This song with the lyrics,
    "I've never been bwave, no I've never been bwave."
    I want to throw the radio out of the car when I hear him sing it like that.

Luckily I stay calm long enough to switch it off instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

+1 for Ireland's Call. It's just so sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Oooh divisive. I like it. Gets popcorn.

I fcukin hate popcorn

Anything by Ed Sheeran. He doesn't deserve all the success he's had IMO. No way he should have ever become the household name he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭donegal_man

"You're Having My Baby", Paul Anka's cloying, sickening, repugnant piece of schmalz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Uptown girl by Billy joel. He never had a hope anyways being vertically challenged. Poppycock song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I can do without a lot of the so called music artists in mainstream/popular music today. Justin Beiber, Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke etc, but for the thread i'll focus on Black Eyed Peas.

I Gotta A Feeling
    Pump It
    My Humps
    Boom Boom Pow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

All songs by Bruno Mars.

The man sings like a crow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

cantdecide wrote: »
    I fcukin hate popcorn

Anything by Ed Sheeran. He doesn't deserve all the success he's had IMO. No way he should have ever become the household name he has.

I'm not a fan of Ed Sheeran. But you couldn't deny he's a very talented musician and, as far as I'm concerned I think he deserves every success. Seems to be a fairly down to earth kid. Anyways back to songs that drive me up the wall, top of the list would be Wet Wet Wet, love is all around. It was number one for a few months when I was a teen and when I hear it now I just wanna punch a nun.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭I-like-eggs,mmm

Thunder by Imagine Dragons.

Oh god... when it comes on I want to smash the radio and trash the whole kitchen!! And what’s with nearly every pop song these days, including Thunder, having these really irritating electronic sounding voices or noises going on? Just p*sses me off to no end... grrr!!

https://youtu.be/fKopy74weus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Damien the time warp. Well i can i say ? Its so cheesy it ropes you into listening to it just out of curiosity. Then the catchiness of the song stays in your brain and then your brain then starts to decay from the horrors of it all..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gti_D7jx7cM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I'm not a fan of Ed Sheeran. But you couldn't deny he's a very talented musician and, as far as I'm concerned I think he deserves every success. Seems to be a fairly down to earth kid. Anyways back to songs that drive me up the wall, top of the list would be Wet Wet Wet, love is all around. It was number one for a few months when I was a teen and when I hear it now I just wanna punch a nun.

Whenever a MOR act gets big hipsters will hate to prove they’re hipsters.

Anyway that’s not this thread really. It’s songs we have gotten sick of.

The songs I once liked, but now hate, include:

Galway girl.
    Brown eyed girl.
    Fairy tale of New York.

And raglan road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Oldtree wrote: »
    Uptown girl by Billy joel. He never had a hope anyways being vertically challenged. Poppycock song.

He literally married the uptown girl in the video Christine Brinkley. After dumping another super model Elle MacPhearson.

Lesson is this: if you are short learn the piano.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Bohemian Rhapsody
    Bad Moon Rising
    Galway Girl
    The Birdie Song
    Rock the Boat
    The Lion Sleeps Tonight
    Karma Kamelian
    Johnny be Good
    Some Say the Divil is Dead, the Divil is Dead, the Divil is Dead
    Shoe the Donkey
    Do the Walk of Life
    How Much is that Doggy in the Window
    Ive Got Friends in Low Places
    I Want to Know what love is
    All by Myself, I wanna be....
    Jingle Bells
    This Old House

That bloody song used to drive me mad, it was played to death on the radio!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

superstition by Stevie Wonder

I'd say almost every cover band in the country plays that song

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Tub thumping. I hate that song so much
    Cher Believe.
    That song with Kanye Rihanna and Macca. It's like poison in my ear drums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    That song with Kanye Rihanna and Macca. It's like poison in my ear drums.

"Woke up an octopus"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Linda Martin singing Get Lucky

Shame on everyone in the audience for participating freely......how do you stop your ears from bleeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

“The wind beneath my wings”

Bette Middler’s singing voice goes through me, especially when she’s hitting the high notes. It’s like listening to the wail of a banshee. I can’t ****ing STAND this song. I’ve hated it intensely since it’s release in 1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Mark McCabe - Maniac

Nuff said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Trekker09

PTH2009 wrote: »
    superstition by Stevie Wonder

I'd say almost every cover band in the country plays that song

Noooooooo. Can listen to that riff all day (and night)!!

Wouldn't listen to a cover version of it though

Anyway that’s not this thread really. It’s songs we have gotten sick of.

The songs I once liked, but now hate, include:

Galway girl.
    Brown eyed girl.
    Fairy tale of New York.

And raglan road.

I find any song gets ruined when some Irish boyband or modern type Irish pop country singer covers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ann Lee, Two times.

Richie Kavanagh, 'lovely little tractor', 'stay wut her Johnny' and the 'Knacker man'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

John Legend - All of Me.

An incredibly irritating piece of music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

John Legend - All of Me.

An incredibly irritating piece of music.

The words of the chorus remind me of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSaDSfBp7fM

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DanielL18

Crystal Swing - He Drinks Tequila

• Advertisement
Advertisement