Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's a teacher not teaching?

• 05-09-2013 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

This is not a teacher bashing thread, and I'm asking people who aren't in private schools. At what stage would you think enough is enough and just refuse to go along with what the teacher is doing or not doing.

e.g. there's teachers in my school who will just assign work while they play on their laptop or phone, teachers who will write word for word out of a study book onto the whiteboard and tell us to take it down, or teachers who will just look out the window and talk about anything but what they should be teaching.
    I only have two teachers at most who are like this, but I'm curious what would brake other peole's last straw. Would you be inclined to report the teacher, flat out tell them, or just sit back and do nothing while get grinds or doing the extra work yourself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

There's a large dependence on what year you're in. I'm guessing you're in 5th; from my experience if you're complaining about this sort of thing in 6th, then it's too late to criticize and I would consider it your own fault.

I also don't think you shouldn't be complaining unless there is absolutely no work assigned - or the teacher doesn't even show up to class (happened to me in one of my subjects - ridiculously drunk pub owner). And even then, you should work in your own time, take your initiative and study in class; revise theory, practice questions etc. It won't do you harm, only good.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LC 2015

Yeah I know what you mean, I've had some awful teachers in the past. Thankfully I've been lucky enough this year, my worst teacher is one that just takes their powerpoints from wikipedia which isn't too bad all things considered.

I had a really bad teacher in ty, I don't want to get into the specifics but if I had him/her this year ..I can assure you my whole class would be in the principle's office demanding a different one before the class had even started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I've had some awful teachers in my time and still do but to be honest those who do well in the Leaving Cert don't sit around complaining about the quality of teachers they get on with it themselves.
    If their poor teaching is resulting in you struggling in a subject you should get extra help somewhere or just work doubly hard yourself. Don't be afraid to work ahead of teachers especially if its a theoretical subject without much figuring out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I disagree with Exo.
    I think a good teacher is crucial for certain subjects like maths or physics for example.
    Once it gets to the point where the teacher is just not bothered and puts in no effort then I would have to do something about it.
    The problem is, there is not much you can do. If you report them not much changes (from my experience).
    I've had to move schools as a result of the exact thing you are talking about.
    It really is a shame that there are so many teachers like this, we need ones who are really passionate about what they teach and put time and effort into preparing classes.
    They have a tough job but I really do look up to my good teachers because without them, I would hate every subject!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

This is not a teacher bashing thread, and I'm asking people who aren't in private schools. At what stage would you think enough is enough and just refuse to go along with what the teacher is doing or not doing.

e.g. there's teachers in my school who will just assign work while they play on their laptop or phone, teachers who will write word for word out of a study book onto the whiteboard and tell us to take it down, or teachers who will just look out the window and talk about anything but what they should be teaching.
    I only have two teachers at most who are like this, but I'm curious what would brake other peole's last straw. Would you be inclined to report the teacher, flat out tell them, or just sit back and do nothing while get grinds or doing the extra work yourself.

Id be inclined to get grinds. Ive been getting them in French for years because I've never had a good French teacher every. I've had different teacher nearly every year with the only consistent teacher spending 9 months of a year out on pregnancy and all of them imho have been rubbish.I wouldn't waste my time reporting the teacher. I see how hard it is or how little is done to get rid of those students with absolutely no business in class and ruin it for everyone, I don't think much would/could be done to 1)get rid of the teacher 2)find a new teacher. If theres another class you could ask to switch. I know people who've switched because of teachers hurling personal abuse at them. Teachers are still there though :rolleyes:. People who've tried switching I know, for "teacher being crap" have never been successful. They are told to f*ck off in a very nice way.

• Advertisement

I disagree with Exo.
    I think a good teacher is crucial for certain subjects like maths or physics for example.
    Once it gets to the point where the teacher is just not bothered and puts in no effort then I would have to do something about it.
    The problem is, there is not much you can do. If you report them not much changes (from my experience).
    It really is a shame that there are so many teachers like this, we need ones who are really passionate about what they teach and put time and effort into preparing classes.
    They have a tough job but I really do look up to my good teachers because without them, I would hate every subject!

He never tied certain subject(s) behind the story. Like I said, a large dependence on what year the guy is in. I'm not condoning what the teachers are doing, but there's more to it than what's explained in this thread. A lot of factors do come into play, nothing is that straightforward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Oh God yes! Got an awful English teacher this year that rambles on about his life and goes off on tangents and then gives homework with no notes that ACTUALLY help... I've resorted to the internet for help. We've complained about the teacher but nothing has been done nor has he changed anything when we have said to him that we don't understand... Sorry but I don't think a teacher should get paid for not teaching properly and students shouldn't have to take things into their own hands, and I shouldn't have to drop to ordinary for the sake of a teacher

Exo wrote: »
    He never tied certain subject(s) behind the story. Like I said, a large dependence on what year the guy is in. I'm not condoning what the teachers are doing, but there's more to it than what's explained in this thread. A lot of factors do come into play, nothing is that straightforward.

Why is there a large dependence on what year he is in?
    A good teacher in 6th year is just as important as one in 1st year.
    Fact is, when a student needs to understand a concept in ANY subject and in ANY year, its the teacher's job to explain it to them. They should not have to look for other resources to help them.
    Just my opinion though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

There's a large dependence on what year you're in. I'm guessing you're in 5th; from my experience if you're complaining about this sort of thing in 6th, then it's too late to criticize and I would consider it your own fault.

I also don't think you shouldn't be complaining unless there is absolutely no work assigned - or the teacher doesn't even show up to class (happened to me in one of my subjects - ridiculously drunk pub owner). And even then, you should work in your own time, take your initiative and study in class; revise theory, practice questions etc. It won't do you harm, only good.

Nope, in Sixth Year. Why is it my fault that a teacher wouldn't be teaching my class correctly. (See below too)
    I'm not saying I don't work in my own time or study, I'm just making the point that some classes it's as if you'd be better off not being there and in the local library just studying. I certainly won't hesitate to do this later in the year should this happen; have quite a few doubles first thing.
    Your making it sound like I made this thread to excuse me not studying.
    I disagree with Exo.

There was a teacher who was reported to the principal a while back in my school by several students (same time, complained together). Nothing much was done. They have a CID now so there's no getting rid of them now.
    I know, I have mostly good teachers and any of my classes will work with the teacher. And it's always obvious when you see the uncaring ones speeding out the school gate at 4pm whereas other could still be there until 6/7. There's also a couple of teachers who will call in sick the day staff meetings are on after school or will have no involvement in any extra activities other than what they're obliged to do.
    thelad95 wrote: »
    I've had some awful teachers in my time and still do but to be honest those who do well in the Leaving Cert don't sit around complaining about the quality of teachers they get on with it themselves.

True. At the end of the year, they'll still have their job, and where a student ends up after school is up to the student.

Why is there a large dependence on what year he is in?
    A good teacher in 6th year is just as important as one in 1st year.
    Fact is, when a student needs to understand a concept in ANY subject and in ANY year, its the teacher's job to explain it to them. They should not have to look for other resources to help them.
    Just my opinion though :)

Because in 5th year, you spend the whole year learning new things that are beneficial to further success in 6th. "It's all important..", some could say but it's not quite the case. You only spend a few months learning new things in 6th and the rest is left to revision. That's why. I've been through it. I'm repeating. I would never put all of the blame onto the teachers, even though I had pretty lackluster ones in my year - my better results were from the poorer teachers. If anything, it forced me to learn new things myself without the aid of a teacher.
    Nope, in Sixth Year. Why is it my fault that a teacher wouldn't be teaching my class correctly. (See below too)
    I'm not saying I don't work in my own time or study, I'm just making the point that some classes it's as if you'd be better off not being there and in the local library just studying. I certainly won't hesitate to do this later in the year should this happen; have quite a few doubles first thing.
    Your making it sound like I made this thread to excuse me not studying.

You should have addressed this issue in 5th year if you had the same teacher. I doubt it would happen overnight for someone to change completely. It's not what I insinuated; in my opinion, the year matters greatly to the situation given - but I see where the confusion could have risen. Sorry if I came across stern, I've been there ..

• Advertisement

Because in 5th year, you spend the whole year learning new things that are beneficial to further success in 6th. "It's all important..", some could say but it's not quite the case. You only spend a few months learning new things in 6th and the rest is left to revision. That's why. I've been through it. I'm repeating. I would never put all of the blame onto the teachers, even though I had pretty lackluster ones in my year - my better results were from the poorer teachers. If anything, it forced me to learn new things myself without the aid of a teacher.

Fair enough and I agree it cannot all be blamed on the teacher.

Best of luck this year, hope you get what you want :D

Fair enough and I agree it cannot all be blamed on the teacher.

Best of luck this year, hope you get what you want :D

Thank you, appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

They tried to move a really bad teacher to teaching just first years and CSPE for junior cert. He kicked up a stink that he wasn't qualified to teach CSPE.

Now I have him for leaving cert, and there is literally no way out other than dropping the subject or getting grinds.

I'm not a right wing nut, but f*ck teacher unions.

*Ninja-Edit*: Not all cases of teacher unions backing up teachers are bad, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

f*ck teacher unions.
    As a lefty myself I tend to agree with you. Teachers abuse the system to suit themselves and the union gives them way too much power to let them get away with it.

I understand your frustration as I had a terrible maths teacher from 5th to christmas in 6th year. Since she got preganant in 5th year she started to not bother teach properly. It looks to me she had a mental breakdown.

I didn't talk to the prinicipal to change teachers as I knew I couldn't do much as they just say "He is proparly struggling 'cause he has a hearing loss anyway". Yes, sadly it's true. Finally in 6th year a group of parents stood up to her and decided to take action. She got kicked out before christmas and finally a sub teacher who was willing to teach.

I started to get grinds before the new sub came in and with a good teacher on board I was on the way to a good grade in maths. I got a C1 in Ordinary Maths and pretty chuffed with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭GrezzC

At a certain repeat school I attended the teachers were so notoriously lazy I stopped going. (Not all, but enough to make me drop physics and teach myself biology)

The best story I have is that my art teacher didn't know you could use glued on materials for your prep sheet, and made everyone draw theirs. This led to people doing it on the morning and laughing at me saying "You're not going to be able to use that."
    I had to pretty much force him to sign mine as okay to use in the exam (twice, he signed on a dark spot to try cheat me. made him do it again.) Long story short I ended up with a B1 at higher, and for art I think that's pretty damn okay. This guy's a joke and at least up until Christmas didn't teach anything, just sat on his mac while either telling us to make notes on pages X - Y from the art history book or else throwing us a past paper and a sheet of A2. I don't know whether or not it's my place to say something to the school.

Edit: I should clarify I'm not encouraging the use of solely cut out / printed materials for the prep sheet but a considerable amount is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rilgar

Let's see, what to add from my experience.

I went to a particular secondary school and got so fed up with it that I eventually moved and went into a private school, repeating 5th year. Of the years I spent in public school, the thing I really hated was getting a different teacher every so often. One year they could just be hitting their stride and I'm following what they're teaching, only then for it to be all uprooted come September again. This happened to me with Business and Maths. The quality of stuff I was learning in both subjects varied drastically. Partways through 1st year I had an incompetent 'young' teacher who would just lounge on desks the whole time and get students to read from books. Other years with the same subject in that school I had other young teachers and they were good, I enjoyed the class and the games, but then the level of learning would vary again in 3rd year. At least I managed to get a C in honours level...

That's fine and dandy but what really annoyed me was all the various maths teachers I had. For me they kept changing like the seasons, with a new face gracing the class after every once in a while. While it didn't so much as bother me in junior cert years, it really annoyed me to death when I hit senior cycle. I mean I used to love the subject, but all these different teachers, with a different way of teaching and explaining and doing certain operations in different ways started to get overwhelming, complicated further by that annoying 'project maths' mess. Literately what they thought me in TY/4th year suddenly wasn't used in 5th, and even when I repeated 5th again, the stuff I learned the year previously was no good. This also persisted in private school, but at least I came out of this mess with a passing grade at ordinary level...

I know you can't account for change and cutbacks and such, but it really got ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

My math and physics teacher sucks, I get notes from different school websites and an online academy called KhanAcademy(free) which helps me a lot. I mainly use HL Math text book to teach myself. I've learned from my Junior year that complaining about having an awful teacher does nothing and reporting to the school gets you the same result. So now I'll take it upon myself to either 1. Get a tutor or 2. Work during my own free time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

There's a religion teacher in my school who I swear isn't qualified, he was probably hired because of his strong hurling background and as a result uses our non exam religion classes to call meetings for the hurling groups. There is a total bias towards the sport orientated members of my class which is pretty rubbish.

As for his so called teaching, it's pretty non existent. He arrives into class 5 minutes late with articles printed from wikipedia, a lot of our homework is to summarise the 5 pages of wikipedia content (complete with the hyperlinks no less) and do out 10 questions that could possibly appear in an exam.

He himself sit's and goes on Facebook (I can see the computer screen from where I sit) and once left the class to go buy cigarettes.
    The only reason I haven't reported him is because it's non exam religion. If I had him for a Leaving Cert subject (and some poor souls have him for History) I really would have written to the department. He's actually useless!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your school network allows access to Facebook? Is it not through the NCTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Well I haven't used the computers in the school since we came back, but all last year we spend TY in the computer room on Facebook. It's banned of course, but there's no block on the system to prevent people from logging in.

That could be changed this year though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

There's an English teacher in our school who is atrocious. I had him for my JC and up until this year he hasn't been allowed teach the Leaving Cert course, because of the huge amount of parents complaining about him but this year due to an English teacher leaving (and not being replaced) I ended up being timetabled with him for 5th year. My parents have met the principal already this year about him. It seems its next to impossible for teachers to be fired seemingly . This year at least 5 people's parents in my class have complained to the school about him.

I don't mean to teacher bash, as the vast majority of teachers are hard working, dedicated and really care about their students, just a few that are lacking.

Advertisement