Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 month old sleep

Options
  • 05-09-2013 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭

So A is 16 months and always been a great sleeper but for the past week she roars going to bed.
    Shes up at 7.30 normally the alarm wakes her. Naps 11-1 and bedtime has always been 7.30 . She goes for her nap no problems at all.
    Usual bedtime routine bath every second night. Ready brek, watch little tv then teeth brushed story then bed.
    Last night was the first night she went down without a fight in over a week.
    It was bath night. Its easier on bath night.
    How much does your 16 month old sleep. And how often do you bath. Not sure if a bath every night would help or if shes just not tired enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

J's almost 17 months. He sleeps from 7pm-7am, naps for 9:30am-11am & then 2:30pm-3:30pm.
    I only bath him twice a week on a Wednesday & Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

So still having trouble. We have tried brushing her teeth and letting her watch her fav cartoon fo 15 mins or more to unwind but just no good. We think it might be that i havent out her to bed in a while as im 3 months pregnant and wasnt well with kidney infection. This all started when i was sick.
    So tonight i put her to bed and hasnt been a peep YET.
    It was also bath night so dont know if it was because of bath or me .
    Its hard going as she had never been like this.
    I will prob do bed time for few days and see if thats the ptoblem. But she needs to getbused to her daddy doing it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

my daughter is almost 16 months,
    Shes up between 7:30 and 8
    Naps from 12/12:30ish, only for a hour, any longer and shes a nightmare to put to bed.. and when i say nightmare, i mean put her up to cot, kicks the bars, fires everything out of the cot, talks away, sometimes singing or shouting.. No Malice, just not ready for bed!!!
    She still has a bottle of milk before bed.. (i didnt realise this was meant to stop :eek:), but she always looks for it around half seven, and is in bed asleep at the latest by 8:15.
    She has a bath on Wednesdays and Saturdays. She would have a bath every night if i Let her.. Obviously if shes manky id give her one in between.
    Works for us so far tho (1st timers here)
    To be honest the good nights far outweigh the bad nights.
    I do remember about a month or so ago, she went bananas for about a week, but we since noticed shes got two molars..
    Maybe shes teething? Or maybe shes just not tired?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Suucee wrote: »
    So A is 16 months and always been a great sleeper but for the past week she roars going to bed.
    Shes up at 7.30 normally the alarm wakes her. Naps 11-1 and bedtime has always been 7.30 . She goes for her nap no problems at all.
    Usual bedtime routine bath every second night. Ready brek, watch little tv then teeth brushed story then bed.
    Last night was the first night she went down without a fight in over a week.
    It was bath night. Its easier on bath night.
    How much does your 16 month old sleep. And how often do you bath. Not sure if a bath every night would help or if shes just not tired enough.

A is just going 19 months but for last 3-4 months has been the same -
    Up at 7ish
    Nap starts at 11 or 12 depending on what we doing - naps for 1&1:2 to 3 hrs!!
    6.30 cartoon & biscuit
    7 pm bedroom
    change
    Bottle
    15 mins book
    Asleep by 7.30

In last month sometimes cries at bedtime but we told her we can't read the story if she's crying and she stops!! If she does cry once we finished tho we leave her to it - she stops within ten mins - usually less - leaving a nightlight on seems to help. I do think its developmental tho..!

Thanks all. Has a night light. And i dont think its teeth as she is fine all day and even when she goes up. It starts about 10 mins after we leave. Im gona do bed time story for a few nights as we think that may be the issue its the only thing that changed recently. Bath nights are so much easier so might get OH to do stort on bath nights andvi do the other nights. We will see how it goes. Its strange as she has never needed comfort to go asleep has always been the same. In to cot story andvoff asleep.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. Has a night light. And i dont think its teeth as she is fine all day and even when she goes up. It starts about 10 mins after we leave. Im gona do bed time story for a few nights as we think that may be the issue its the only thing that changed recently. Bath nights are so much easier so might get OH to do stort on bath nights andvi do the other nights. We will see how it goes. Its strange as she has never needed comfort to go asleep has always been the same. In to cot story andvoff asleep.

A was the same! Although we always did the story - mind u I think she's only started listening in last month! So maybe developmental - huge changes in A lately - huge vocabulary now and managing short sentences.. Like 2 words :) I deffo remember that when I was 38-42 weeks pregnant and struggled lifting A into the cot - she was 14 months - and so I used to only do maybe one night in 3 or four - she got a little out of sorts! They sense change - although was hard not to sense it considering she no longer fitted on my lap!! Plus s was kicking her from the inside - hard to ignore

Yea it does sound like me not doing bedtimes are the issue. Or too much naptime.
    Any of the usual leaps didnt impact her sleep. Loves her sleep (gets that from me).
    But you would never know with them.

So for the past 3 nights now I have done bedtime story. Nothing else has changed. OH carries her up the stairs, brushes teeth and pops her in to cot, I read the story say good night and give her a kiss. And she has been back to her usual self. Last night she slept 7.30 pm to 9am. on my day off, couldn't believe my luck. OH was late for an appointment as knocked off his alarm.
    Tonight went up at 7.30, again OH carried her up and done teeth. I read story and off to sleep she went.
    Was obviously missing her mammy.
    I'll continue for a few days but she will have to get used to daddy doing it too.

So for the past 3 nights now I have done bedtime story. Nothing else has changed. OH carries her up the stairs, brushes teeth and pops her in to cot, I read the story say good night and give her a kiss. And she has been back to her usual self. Last night she slept 7.30 pm to 9am. on my day off, couldn't believe my luck. OH was late for an appointment as knocked off his alarm.
    Tonight went up at 7.30, again OH carried her up and done teeth. I read story and off to sleep she went.
    Was obviously missing her mammy.
    I'll continue for a few days but she will have to get used to daddy doing it too.

Aw glad your getting such a good long sleep - long may it last :)

Advertisement