Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice about buying a Kindle.

Options
  • 05-09-2013 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

I got a chance to download a lot of free kindle stories from the american amazon site. I have them on my computer at the moment but I would love to transfer them to a kindle. I need advice on what one to buy as someone was telling me I might not be able to transfer them to just any kindle because of formats etc.
    So if anyone out there has a kindle and has been downloading books from the american amazon site onto it, I would really appreciate knowing what type the kindle is. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

If there is a problem with the formats which I imagine there won't be, just download this piece of software for free. Its very simple to use.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 youthcricket

I had an US account for my kindle. Up until this summer you could only buy books from the .com site. Over the summer I transferred to .co.uk and all my '.com' books are in my 'manage my kindle' on the .co.uk site. We have had lots of kindles in this house. At the moment my favourite is the kindle paperwhite. (We have 2 in our house)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

tony1980 wrote: »
    If there is a problem with the formats which I imagine there won't be, just download this piece of software for free. Its very simple to use.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

This ^^:)

Also I have the Paperwhite (the one with the light) and honestly can't understand someone buying a different one. Its very very handy for low light reading and even using it in an unlit room.It also has a built in browser and the battery lasts ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Miss Mayhem

I have the kindle paperwhite and I highly recommend it. I agree with what tony1980 said. Calibre is terrific and very easy to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I bought the normal Kindle first and decided to upgrade to the paperwhite and its fantastic. I have read some great books recently and its not too intrusive on your partner when reading in bed, you can turn the backlight up or down which is great! I gave the normal Kindle to my Ma but felt guilty that I had the better one, so I bought her a good book light on Amazon and she finds that great. The book light came to 10 euro including delivery and Vat. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009OFCONI/ref=pe_385721_37038051_pe_217191_31005151_M3T1_dp_1

Paperwhite is well worth it though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

Thanks for all the replies. I'm definitely going to buy the paperwhite kindle after all the good things I've read about it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

If there is more than 1 kindle but only 1 account is it possible to keep the books seperate? As in adults or child's or could they access any books related to the account?

Just before I buy my kindle, I was reading up on it. When you are setting it up, one of the things they ask is connecting to wi-fi. I think you are supposed to choose something from a list. I don't know what's on this list as it didn't say. Is it your internet provider that you pick (like eircom etc).
    I'm very new to things like this so don't really understand what to do about this bit.
    I don't want to end up with a kindle and not be able to use it cause I can't get past this part of it. Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Graceland wrote: »
    Just before I buy my kindle, I was reading up on it. When you are setting it up, one of the things they ask is connecting to wi-fi. I think you are supposed to choose something from a list. I don't know what's on this list as it didn't say. Is it your internet provider that you pick (like eircom etc).
    I'm very new to things like this so don't really understand what to do about this bit.
    I don't want to end up with a kindle and not be able to use it cause I can't get past this part of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Assuming you have wi-fi in your house you would connect to it the same way as you would with any other device - smartphone, laptop, etc. Follow the instructions that come with your kindle. It's simple. Don't let it put you off buying.

The next generation kindle is out in a few weeks, by the way. If you are not in a hurry it might be worth holding off. There are free kindle apps you can download to a smartphone to tide you over in the meantime.

It's very easy to connect it to your wi-fi in your house.

Go into settings > wi-fi networks > the kindle will bring up all the networks in range, just choose yours and enter your password (if you have eircom it should be written on a sticker on the bottom of your router) and your all set!

The Kindle comes with a built in web browser. It's very basic but it's handy for checking Google.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help. It does sound a lot more easier when it's been explained. I've tried a few places in town and there are no kindles in stock at the moment, although they have advised me to wait for the new one which is coming out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Does the paper white support graphic novels or just regular text?

Mainly regular text books. The few times I've looked at ghaphic pictures and maps, etc on my Kindle they looked too pulled and squashed and generally unreadable.

Advertisement