Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Fixed Line Broadband changing to mobile broadband

• 05-09-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for any advice/suggestions, our current situation is that we are paying eircom for landline & broadband, approx 50.00 per month. I was just in a neighbour's house and they have a Meteor Dongle, no landline and are paying 25.00 a month, I'm thinking of getting rid of the landline, is it as straightforward as just signing up with Meteor, are there any disadvantages to getting rid of the landline (phone usage would be small).
    Is this the best way to go? Are broadband usage is just for browsing the Internet, very little downloading.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Check to see you're not in a contract with Eircom and note that there is a cancellation charge of one months line rental if you don't give notice.

Before moving away from Eircom ask Meteor for a free trial to check speeds in your area

You may notice delays in Voip connections and generally online gaming isn't suitable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Go for it , In my local Meteor Shop they are doing 20Gb/Month for €10 , It is a 30 day contract and offer lasts for 12 months , The E3131 Modem is €29.

After 3 days of use and getting consistent download speeds of 3.5 to 5.5 Meg it was an easy decision to Cancel my crap 1Mb DSL/Phone which was costing €50/55 each month.

I was in the store today and was informed that Meteor 4G was being trialed in the area and off the record the average download speed was 25 to 30 Mb. ( I know very few people are using but I am sure 4G will be an improvement on 3G Despite what some people on here insist)

I am using the E3131 dongle with a TP-Link TL-MR3220 150Mbps 3G/4G Wireless N CABLE Router which is £25 on amazon , It running for more than a week and not one minute of downtime , Also get 5 Bars and I am 4.2 Miles as the crow flies to the Nearest Meteor 3G mast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Find out what your monthly usage is first thing. If you're pulling 50+ GB a month its not going to work out so well on midband.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Karenmtob

galait wrote: »
    Go for it , In my local Meteor Shop they are doing 20Gb/Month for €10 , It is a 30 day contract and offer lasts for 12 months , The E3131 Modem is €29.

After 3 days of use and getting consistent download speeds of 3.5 to 5.5 Meg it was an easy decision to Cancel my crap 1Mb DSL/Phone which was costing €50/55 each month.

I was in the store today and was informed that Meteor 4G was being trialed in the area and off the record the average download speed was 25 to 30 Mb. ( I know very few people are using but I am sure 4G will be an improvement on 3G Despite what some people on here insist)

I am using the E3131 dongle with a TP-Link TL-MR3220 150Mbps 3G/4G Wireless N CABLE Router which is £25 on amazon , It running for more than a week and not one minute of downtime , Also get 5 Bars and I am 4.2 Miles as the crow flies to the Nearest Meteor 3G mast.

Galait, excuse my technical ignorance on this, but I was under the impression from my neighbour that all I needed was the Dongle. What & Why do I need the other items you have mentioned?
    Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Karenmtob wrote: »
    Galait, excuse my technical ignorance on this, but I was under the impression from my neighbour that all I needed was the Dongle. What & Why do I need the other items you have mentioned?
    Thanks for your help.

If you use the internet for normal stuff like youtube or service patches etc you have to be extremely careful on mobile, you can easily go over your cap (data allowance) and find yourself with a massive bill for the privilege and I mean massive like upwards of 60 - 100 euro.
    So if you go down this route you'll have to watch your usage like a hawk if you want to avoid nasty "surprises"...you've been warned...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Karenmtob wrote: »
    Thanks for your help.

If you only want to connect 1 pc/laptop to the internet then all you need is the dongle. The TP-Link TL-MR3220 150Mbps 3G/4G Wireless N CABLE Router would allow you to share the dongles internet connection with more than 1 device, either wirelesly or or via cable.

bealtine wrote: »
    If you use the internet for normal stuff like youtube or service patches etc you have to be extremely careful on mobile, you can easily go over your cap (data allowance) and find yourself with a massive bill for the privilege and I mean massive like upwards of 60 - 100 euro.
    So if you go down this route you'll have to watch your usage like a hawk if you want to avoid nasty "surprises"...you've been warned...

Meteor have a package with 50Gb allowance for €25 , I know it not unlimited but is a good amount for what your paying and the limited options I have personally available to me.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    If you only want to connect 1 pc/laptop to the internet then all you need is the dongle. The TP-Link TL-MR3220 150Mbps 3G/4G Wireless N CABLE Router would allow you to share the dongles internet connection with more than 1 device, either wirelesly or or via cable.

It also removes the hassle of connecting every time as the router gives an always on solution ,With the solution I can leave the dongle/router in the Attic with perfect signal , I then use a Homeplug setup to power a Wireless Access Point in the Kitchen , The Xbox 360 and 2 D*boxes are all fed via wired connections straight to the router in the attic.

ED E wrote: »
    Find out what your monthly usage is first thing. If you're pulling 50+ GB a month its not going to work out so well on midband.

The Meteor website as well as the E3131 Admin Page have detailed information on usage and how much you have to left to use for the remainder of the month etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The Meteor website as well as the E3131 Admin Page have detailed information on usage and how much you have to left to use for the remainder of the month etc..

Thats all fine, but he needs to get his current stats. If the household uses 100GB a month right now there's f'ck all point in moving to meteor in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

It also removes the hassle of connecting every time as the router gives an always on solution ,With the solution I can leave the dongle/router in the Attic with perfect signal , I then use a Homeplug setup to power a Wireless Access Point in the Kitchen , The Xbox 360 and 2 D*boxes are all fed via wired connections straight to the router in the attic.

do ye play online games? If so what the ping/general experience? I know pings vary wildly just wondering what your experience is.
    I was testing a metoer 3g connection a short while back in a location where the was no fixed or los bb available and pings were initially 70-100ms for the first couple of tests but then shot up to 600-700ms...
    Tested on 2 separate devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Scruff wrote: »
    do ye play online games? If so what the ping/general experience? I know pings vary wildly just wondering what your experience is.
    I was testing a metoer 3g connection a short while back in a location where the was no fixed or los bb available and pings were initially 70-100ms for the first couple of tests but then shot up to 600-700ms...
    Tested on 2 separate devices.

Here are my typical ping times :

Advertisement