Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolf Hall

Options
  • 05-09-2013 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

I'm about a hundred pages into Wolf Hall and finding it a very tedious read. Not the subject matter, I normally love historical fiction, but the style of writing is wrecking my mind. Why, oh why, did Mantel decide that using the pronoun he instead of names was a good idea? Also the frequent lack of quotation marks in dialogue adds to the confusion. With so many male characters it's just too confusing and I'm spending more time checking back to see who is saying what than I am reading.
    Am I the only one who can't hack Mantel's writing style? Is it worth my while persevering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

I ended up reading Bring up the Bodies before Wolf Hall (which I'm currently reading). BUTB almost fetishistically uses the phrase "He, Cromwell", every time TC speaks. I thought it was a stylistic thing, but maybe it was an editorial choice, based on feedback from Wolf Hall? I loved BUTB, but thus far Wolf Hall isn't as good; I will definitely finish it, because I know BUTB was so good, but if I'd started it first, I might have abandoned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I enjoyed Wolf Hall, but that narrative device drove me absolutely scatty alright. I found myself having to re-read several passages just to be sure of whom she was referring to. I know books should challenge their readers, but that just struck me as rather arsey, I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Wolf Hall was tough going to begin with - I felt it required a fairly awkward gear shift in the brain - but once I got used to the style I flew through it and really enjoyed it.

It was similar but not quite as pronounced with Bring Up The Bodies.

I'd recommend to stick with it.

Advertisement