Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar Cylinder - copper or stainless steel?

• 05-09-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭

Having already spoken to a few plumbers, I feel none the wiser ....

I'm replacing my cylinder, as there's a hole in the coil, so now I want to bite the bullet and install a solar cylinder with the future in mind.

I currently have an open-vented twin-coil 200 litre copper cylinder, fed by the oil central heating and a Stanley solid-fuel stove. My water supply is from a local Group scheme. We are a family of 2+4.

Is a copper 300 litre triple coil "solar" cylinder suitable, or do I need to go stainless steel - and why?

Copper is ~€600 and Stainless Steel ~€900 in quotes so far.

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Manuel wrote: »
    Having already spoken to a few plumbers, I feel none the wiser ....

I'm replacing my cylinder, as there's a hole in the coil, so now I want to bite the bullet and install a solar cylinder with the future in mind.

I currently have an open-vented twin-coil 200 litre copper cylinder, fed by the oil central heating and a Stanley solid-fuel stove. My water supply is from a local Group scheme. We are a family of 2+4.

Is a copper 300 litre triple coil "solar" cylinder suitable, or do I need to go stainless steel - and why?

Copper is ~€600 and Stainless Steel ~€900 in quotes so far.

Thanks a million!

Hi Manuel
    Stainless steel is a better option for you as the tank would have a 25 year guarantee where as the copper would only have 2 - 5 yrs
    All guarantees have terms which are worth reading especially when it comes to solid fuel.
    Do you know why the coil failed?
    I also think your paying about € 200 over on the stainless tank
    Cc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

ccsolar wrote: »
    Hi Manuel
    Stainless steel is a better option for you as the tank would have a 25 year guarantee where as the copper would only have 2 - 5 yrs
    All guarantees have terms which are worth reading especially when it comes to solid fuel.
    Cc

I'd also up the size to at least 300 litres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Manuel

ccsolar wrote: »
    Hi Manuel
    Cc
    Thanks ccsolar. I don't know why the coil failed. It's a 7-year-old cylinder, and I have had a water softener in place from day 1, so it shouldn't be limescale! "One of those things" maybe? I certainly wouldn't like it to happen again in another 7 years .... would the Stainless Steel guarantee cover the coil?? I'll shop around for better SS prices, thanks. Would you recommend any particular manufacturer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Manuel

I just thought of another related question. Can this third coil be used by other technologies besides solar? I hope I'm not limiting my options in the future .... sorry if that's a dumb question, I haven't looked too much into what I would use this third coil for, I just want my new cylinder to be future-proof, and I need to replace the cylinder soon ... I'm getting metered for all this leaking water, not to mention what it could be doing to my central heating system ...
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

PM Sent
    Cc

• Advertisement
Advertisement