Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pro12: Munster vs Edinburgh, Sat 7 Sep 7:15pm; TG4/BBCALBA

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd be more inclined to play it down because Edinburgh are ****e.

Some of the skills and play Munster displayed had nothing to do with the opposition though. It was an encouraging performance no matter who they were playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Something that annoyed me a little today is that some newspaper reports, & the sky website trying to downplay the win as we played an understrength Embra side.
    More than a little unfair imo. It's not like we were anywhere near a full strength side either.

Haven't read any of the match reports but the injury list issued by Edinburgh when they named their team would put any squad under pressure, added to that Solomons has just taken over there and has just got his defence coach in place. The win was expected so no great plaudits then for getting the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The quality of Munster's play was impressive but an 11 point win for Munster over Edinburgh at home I think is what most expected

Tox56 wrote: »
    The quality of Munster's play was impressive but an 11 point win for Munster over Edinburgh at home I think is what most expected

Before the game I'd have taken an 11point win, watching what I saw in the first half I really expected a bigger score for Munster and a greater lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

You can only play what's in front of you, and Munster had a very good first half. Went off the boil a bit in the second, but it was a promising first up game. Put it this way, I'd rather be Munster or Leinster than Ulster after the weekend's opening games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

How did JJ do overall when he came on? I know he scored but thought Keatley did very well generally in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I was happy enough, rather than delighted or ecstatic. I didn't really expect more from the first match of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

danthefan wrote: »
    How did JJ do overall when he came on? I know he scored but thought Keatley did very well generally in the first half.

He was solid. Didn't get that much time to shine. Keatley was the better of the two, but Munster as a team played better in the first half which would have helped him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah, we'll play far tougher sides as the season goes on (though the start of the Pro12 fixtures is relatively easy this year), but you have to be impressed with the pace & cohesion of the Munster game. I'd love to compare with early season games in previous years, where the play was godawful & sloppy.

It's great seeing how JJ & Keatley are so interchangable, each time JJ comes on the gameplan doesn't change and the tries keep coming. More surprisingly, Williams & Sheridan. Williams had a great game to be fair, he's a great pass and was popping up everywhere. His usual flaws of throwing a couple of passes to no-one (didn't happen) or occasionally taking an age to get to the ruck - only happened once that I saw. Hurley's & Laulala's distribution was great; as were some of the forwards (Sherry is always a great offloader). We always seem to go through an offloading 'phase' early in the season, which disappears as soon as we face any of the tougher sides, but it did seem sharper and more natural this game. Interesting to hear Keatley say they'd concentrated more on skills this preseason.

Just noticed too about Sheridan - he's very much in Stringer's style. It's very difficult to pass hard/long when you're standing upright, feet together (you don't have the leverage in your legs), so he often takes a wide-legged stance when picking up off the base. Meaning he can pretty much fire a long pass up off the ground, without requiring the additional step.

13 tries in 3 games. How bad.

• Advertisement

Brief highlights from the game

and the ROM flick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Intentional ;)

Hagz wrote: »
    Intentional ;)

I'd say intentional flick back but lucky bounce for Coughlan, O'Mahony had overran the ball and flicked it backwards, not sure did he know he'd get the height but he knew Coughlan was chasing behind him.

phog wrote: »
    I'd say intentional flick back but lucky bounce for Coughlan, O'Mahony had overran the ball and flicked it backwards, not sure did he know he'd get the height but he knew Coughlan was chasing behind him.

I'd like to think you're right, but the pessimist in me says he simply flicked back at the ball instinctively without any real purpose to it.

Only he'll know. No prizes for guessing what he'll say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Its a pity that there was no replay of JJ's flick around the 70 mark. Looked like a great bit of control.

Its a pity that there was no replay of JJ's flick around the 70 mark. Looked like a great bit of control.

Missed that, must have a look for it, when and where did it happen - around what piece of play?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Not a chance that was a flick IMO, he went to kick the ball through and a funny bounce caused it to ricochet off his heel, surprised its been suggested otherwise.

No I think he definitley flicked at it. It's the intention to flick it to Coughlan that I don't believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Ya looks to me like he meant to flick it. Doubt he knew Coughlan was coming though though

shuffol wrote: »
    Not a chance that was a flick IMO, he went to kick the ball through and a funny bounce caused it to ricochet off his heel, surprised its been suggested otherwise.

I'd be fairly sure he meant to flick it with his heel.

Ya looks to me like he meant to flick it. Doubt he knew Coughlan was coming though though

Of course he knew Coughlan was behind him, they started running once Murphy chipped it and of all players Coughlan was certainly going to follow thru' on the chase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If that was intentional, it's the most impressive piece of skill I've ever seen on a rugby field.

I just cant see it being plausible, to attempt to intentionally flick the ball like that when your running without adjusting your stride is near impossible IMO.

I just cant see it being plausible, to attempt to intentionally flick the ball like that when your running without adjusting your stride is near impossible IMO.

Jaysus it's far from impossible. Just hard to execute, and with a rugby ball, luck is needed

Jaysus it's far from impossible. Just hard to execute, and with a rugby ball, luck is needed

Try it with a football without adjusting your stride and placing a lot of pressure on the top of your foot on the ground to generate the momentum to flick your heel back and then tell me its not impossible. I didnt see ROM do either, all I saw him do was try to fly hack the ball over the line, the ball bounced funny and as his heels were naturally flicking up whilst he was running the ball ricocheted off them and popped up, look at the clip at about 42 seconds, you can clearly see the ball bounce back, to react to that bounce that quickly is not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Missed that, must have a look for it, when and where did it happen - around what piece of play?

All I remember is that Munster were in their own have around the 70min mark and Sheridan passed a little behind Hanrahan. I only saw it the once, but it looked like JJ controlled it with his knee or something. Could be completely wrong though :o.

Hopefully ROM goes on to be as successful as the last two Munster backs to try audacious flicks. First it was Earls with the GAA-style flick against the Dragons, then Zebo against Wales. :pac:

Try it with a football without adjusting your stride and placing a lot of pressure on the top of your foot on the ground to generate the momentum to flick your heel back and then tell me its not impossible. I didnt see ROM do either, all I saw him do was try to fly hack the ball over the line, the ball bounced funny and as his heels were naturally flicking up whilst he was running the ball ricocheted off them and popped up, look at the clip at about 42 seconds, you can clearly see the ball bounce back, to react to that bounce that quickly is not possible.

We'll have to agree to differ but I'm certain he decided t flick that ball backwards rather than hack it forward.

We'll have to agree to differ but I'm certain he decided t flick that ball backwards rather than hack it forward.

Didn't see the replay but this was my impression:

In a split second you don't 'decide' anything. It was a reflex action that paid off. Had me confussed from my viewpoint at the time!

Imo there is not a hope in hell he wanted the ball to go backwards and it would be an absolutely ridiculous thing to attempt.

All I remember is that Munster were in their own have around the 70min mark and Sheridan passed a little behind Hanrahan. I only saw it the once, but it looked like JJ controlled it with his knee or something. Could be completely wrong though :o.

Hopefully ROM goes on to be as successful as the last two Munster backs to try audacious flicks. First it was Earls with the GAA-style flick against the Dragons, then Zebo against Wales. :pac:

About 71.20, Hurley catches a Garry Owen, feeds it a retreating Holland, poor pass to JJ, who in a split second decides to use his knee to flick the ball to his hands.
    Didn't see the replay but this was my impression:

In a split second you don't 'decide' anything. It was a reflex action that paid off. Had me confussed from my viewpoint at the time!

I think players have to make quick decisions all the time depending on what happens in play.

Imo there is not a hope in hell he wanted the ball to go backwards and it would be an absolutely ridiculous thing to attempt.

Why? He had stooped to collect it, realised the ball had bounced backwards, he was falling, if he hacked ahead he was out of the game, he flicked it backwards in the hope it would be collected by Coughlan.

• Advertisement

Why? He had stooped to collect it, realised the ball had bounced backwards, he was falling, if he hacked ahead he was out of the game, he flicked it backwards in the hope it would be collected by Coughlan.

Not interested in getting into this, imo there's no way it was close to being intentional as I said, not too bothered if anyone thinks otherwise.

Not interested in getting into this, imo there's no way it was close to being intentional as I said, not too bothered if anyone thinks otherwise.

Ok, that's fine. Just thought you might like to elaborate.

Ok, that's fine. Just thought you might like to elaborate.

If you would really like me to elaborate, it's because if I were coaching a team and a player kicked the ball backwards unsighted I'd be giving him a slap about the head. He had no idea who was behind him, the entire Embra team could have been lined up there for all he knew. It clipped his heel and bounced up to Coughlan, thems the breaks. Munster probably deserved a score as they'd cut Embra open.

And I'm done, as I said I don't really mind if you disagree.

If you would really like me to elaborate, it's because if I were coaching a team and a player kicked the ball backwards unsighted I'd be giving him a slap about the head. He had no idea who was behind him, the entire Embra team could have been lined up there for all he knew. It clipped his heel and bounced up to Coughlan, thems the breaks. Munster probably deserved a score as they'd cut Embra open.

It's very obvious from the time of Murphy's chip ahead there were three Munster players chasing the ball, why wouldn't a flick back be a possibility.

As for the nonsense that the entire Edinburgh team might be lined up behind, where do you think they were going to parachute in from, about half of them were lined up at the other side of the field, I think only one made an effort to tackle O'Mahony and I think Coughlan grounded the ball untouched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I'm not sure if the arguments were more ridiculous during the off-season or now...

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the arguments were more ridiculous during the off-season or now...

You're actually right, this is about as daft as it gets.

I just don't think it was completely accidental. At the same time I don't think he thought "I'm going to flick this into Coughlans hands", but I think there was some concious reaction to him over running the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I just don't think it was completely accidental. At the same time I don't think he thought "I'm going to flick this into Coughlans hands", but I think there was some concious reaction to him over running the ball

I think that's pretty much it. Not a hope he approached that ball with the intention of doing what he did. He was beaten by the bobble when he ran over the ball it so flicked out his heels. I don't think he knew it would work out as it did but it worked perfectly. A fortuitous piece of skillful improvisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Don't know what you're all on about. Coughlan clearly had the ball on a piece of fishing line.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Don't know what you're all on about. Coughlan clearly had the ball on a piece of fishing line.

Ah that's the one. An old John Hayes skill if I recall correctly.

You're actually right, this is about as daft as it gets.

Not interested in this, but here's my opinion........ now I'm done, I'm not listening any more. Lalalalalalala...
    Okay, here's another comment......now I'm finished again. Still not listening to you. Lalalalalala....

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

who_me wrote: »
    Not interested in this, but here's my opinion........ now I'm done, I'm not listening any more. Lalalalalalala...
    Okay, here's another comment......now I'm finished again. Still not listening to you. Lalalalalala....

In fairness to Dan at least he appreciated the absurdity of the argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

No no no, it was O'Mahoney, not Casey. ;)

Buer wrote: »
    I think that's pretty much it. Not a hope he approached that ball with the intention of doing what he did. He was beaten by the bobble when he ran over the ball it so flicked out his heels. I don't think he knew it would work out as it did but it worked perfectly. A fortuitous piece of skillful improvisation.

I agree. You can see from the rear angle he deliberately flicked back a heel (or else he has the weirdest running style in rugby) after missing the kick through, probably hoping to flick it up to himself but instead went backwards to Coughlan.

On a side-note: Dear Mr. Penney, as a long-time Munster fan, I'm writing to you with deep held concern about the recent spate of "Munster winger incredible skill" moments that our young children are being increasingly exposed to. What kind of message is this sending out to young, budding players? Think of the slippery slope! Before you know it, you'll have props with white boots and ear-rings. Ear rings, I tells ya!. Regards, Grumpy in Cork.

No no no, it was O'Mahoney, not Casey. ;)

:P No, wasn't Ma'a either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

On a side-note: Dear Mr. Penney, as a long-time Munster fan, I'm writing to you with deep held concern about the recent spate of "Munster winger incredible skill" moments that our young children are being increasingly exposed to. What kind of message is this sending out to young, budding players? Think of the slippery slope! Before you know it, you'll have props with white boots and ear-rings. Ear rings, I tells ya!. Regards, Grumpy in Cork.

I agree,
    Its only a matter of time before the whole squad will be playing with their socks down around their ankles. Time to stamp out everything that is anyway flashy.

I only caught highlights of the game but from reading here, did Duncan Williams play well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Had a fine game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I agree. You can see from the rear angle he deliberately flicked back a heel (or else he has the weirdest running style in rugby) after missing the kick through, probably hoping to flick it up to himself but instead went backwards to Coughlan.

Ha hope the Munster backs aren't turning into the Ladyboys (in red)...:-)

I only caught highlights of the game but from reading here, did Duncan Williams play well?

Good enough game but was that because we had more time on the ball and he was somewhat responsible in the defensive gaps for both their tries.

His passing was accurate and fast and generally took the right decision from the base of a ruck. If he kept this performance up throughout the season we'd all be happy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement