Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What speeds will I ACTUALLY get with fiber power broadband?

Options
  • 05-09-2013 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Bit of a triple header here.

I'm probably going to place an order for the fiber power broadband in the next day or two, but I want to be sure of a few things before I do.

Firstly, I've worked in telecoms for a while myself (not anymore) so having tested my line I know that the absolute capacity the line into my house can currently hold is at a huge push about 4.8mb. With this in mind what sort of speeds could I realistically hope to achieve on the 50mb package? 

Secondly, I do not currently have an active broadband connection in my house. There is an active Eircom landline, just no broadband package. Is it true I would need to sign up for regular Eircom broadband, wait for that to be connected and THEN place an order for a fiber power package, or can I place an order to have the fiber power broadband directly installed? Also, after placing an order for fiber power how long will I realistically be waiting for an engineer to come and configure it?

Finally, I've heard that some sites are blocked on an Eircom broadband connection, is this true and if so what type of sites are blocked?

Look forward to hearing from you!
    Davykav87

Also, forgot to ask, I have no idea whatsoever where my nearest cabinet is, and as this will play a part in the speeds I will get I'd like to see if I can find out before I commit to anything. Is there anyway where you can find out if I provide my details?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

if you have active Eircom landline, you can call bb sales 1800503303 and or you can check online on https://secure.eircom.net/fibre/ by yourself about fibre.
    second you dont need to get normal bb before fibre, fibre is totally different , eng will be sent to install new fibre enabled socket and you can have new eircom tv service on it as well , eircom is providing upto 70m speed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

How far from the cabinet are you?

I'm on 50mb Magnet, on WiFi I get around 42 down and 22 up, hardwired I get sometimes over 50!

My line was only 4mb beforehand so its gone up practically ten fold...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 davykav87

masker wrote: »
    if you have active Eircom landline, you can call bb sales 1800503303 and or you can check online on https://secure.eircom.net/fibre/ by yourself about fibre.
    second you dont need to get normal bb before fibre, fibre is totally different , eng will be sent to install new fibre enabled socket and you can have new eircom tv service on it as well , eircom is providing upto 70m speed
    Yeah I asked one of the sales guys but all he could tell me was the usual "Upto" speeds, which doesn't really tell me what I could actually expect to get realistically.

I figured I could just order the fibre straight away but the sales agent on the phone seemed to think I needed to place an order to have broadband activated and THEN call up once active to upgrade to fiber power. :cool:
    Fieldog wrote: »
    How far from the cabinet are you?

I'm on 50mb Magnet, on WiFi I get around 42 down and 22 up, hardwired I get sometimes over 50!

My line was only 4mb beforehand so its gone up practically ten fold...
    You see that's the problem, I have no idea where my local cabinet is so I have no idea how far away from it :confused:. Short of snooping all around the entire neighbourhood like a creep I'm not sure how to even find it. :(

If I could even get anywhere over 10 down I'd be happy enough to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

the agent must be new, fibre need totally new socket, u can try once more or some one on this forum might check it out for u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

davykav87 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm probably going to place an order for the fiber power broadband in the next day or two, but I want to be sure of a few things before I do.

Firstly, I've worked in telecoms for a while myself (not anymore) so having tested my line I know that the absolute capacity the line into my house can currently hold is at a huge push about 4.8mb. With this in mind what sort of speeds could I realistically hope to achieve on the 50mb package? 

Secondly, I do not currently have an active broadband connection in my house. There is an active Eircom landline, just no broadband package. Is it true I would need to sign up for regular Eircom broadband, wait for that to be connected and THEN place an order for a fiber power package, or can I place an order to have the fiber power broadband directly installed? Also, after placing an order for fiber power how long will I realistically be waiting for an engineer to come and configure it?

Finally, I've heard that some sites are blocked on an Eircom broadband connection, is this true and if so what type of sites are blocked?

Davykav87

Also, forgot to ask, I have no idea whatsoever where my nearest cabinet is, and as this will play a part in the speeds I will get I'd like to see if I can find out before I commit to anything. Is there anyway where you can find out if I provide my details?

Hi davykav87,

Would you like to send me your details and I'll look into all your queries for you?

Thanks

Tracey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 davykav87

davykav87 wrote: »
    Hi,

Davykav87

Hi davykav87,

Would you like to send me your details and I'll look into all your queries for you?

Thanks

Tracey
    Will PM details now thanks!

Advertisement