Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baileborough, shootings and the place locked down

Options
  • 05-09-2013 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭

hope everyone is ok. my dad was told to get out of the town by the police.

tragic loss of life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

As in a big shoot out with Gardai and crims??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭emo72

As in a big shoot out with Gardai and crims??

man shoots his wife and locked in the square bar

Jasus....was there not an ex-Garda shot there also?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

emo72 wrote: »

Is she alive? Sounds dramatic alright

Jasus....was there not an ex-Garda shot there also?

was he not shot in his house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

His wife is dead, He has locked himself in the cellar of the Square Bar. Not known if he has hostages but he is armed.

was he not shot in his house?

Im confused.....has baileborough turned into a war zone??

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Its typical though-the only news we can get about this is on here or facebook or twitter, but nothing on News site like RTE --If its not Dublin its not news....

His wife is dead, He has locked himself in the cellar of the Square Bar. Not known if he has hostages but he is armed.

yeah, thats what i heard from my da. he was there. hope he comes out okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Did he get locked in the bar before or after he shot the missus?

• Advertisement

muincav wrote: »
    Its typical though-the only news we can get about this is on here or facebook or twitter, but nothing on News site like RTE --If its not Dublin its not news....

social media. its instant.

Houses all around are being evacuated as its thought he has explosives.
    Sounds mad.

Dont worry RTE will send someone after the weekend--is that Giles pub?

Sounds mad.

jesus christ.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Unfortunate that RTÉ can't have their HQ in every county.

Dont worry RTE will send someone after the weekend--is that Giles pub?

no its the square bar. nixys

Sounds mad.

Was there last week and my cousin was joking we would wanna watch ourselves in this mad town...guess he is right....from the rumours I think I know the guy too..

So apparently a man has shot his wife and is now held up in a bar with explosives?

Crazy!!

Wonder will it go the talking or sniping route!

Unfortunate that RTÉ can't have their HQ in every county.

No only Dublin and fcuk the rest...like everything else Dublin gets it...but thats not the issue here-RTE SHOULD be covering it, after all its not that far down the road...;)

Was there last week and my cousin was joking we would wanna watch ourselves in this mad town...guess he is right....from the rumours I think I know the guy too..

I have a friend living there. He is keeping me informed of developments. He knows the man too. All homes and pubs in the area have been evacuated. Might have been shots fired and man could be wounded. He was told but couldn't confirm as he had to leave the area.But the whole thing could be exaggerated too.

• Advertisement

ollie

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Well if its only happened in the last twenty minutes im not surprised its not on rte, unless they have someone watching the gardai radio the whole time.

K:eek:-say no more
    ollie

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    Well if its only happened in the last twenty minutes im not surprised its not on rte, unless they have someone watching the gardai radio the whole time.

Been going on since 6.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Just checked and gardai have asked for media blackout, until its over.

Aka Ishur wrote: »

over 2 hours

ok Im away off to watch yesterdays news on RTE...lol...night all-hopefully there will be NO MORE innocent lives lost....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,651 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

No only Dublin and fcuk the rest..

Tragic situation, probable loss of life, a small peaceful town in turmoil... All you can do is bitch about the media response? I'm sure lots of newsteams are aware of what's going on, but unlike kneejerkskynewssuperduper reports with a powerful legal team behind them, they may wait and

See what the story is...
    Contact the Gardai, see what sensitivities need to be dealt with.
    Check out if there are there kids involved.
    Liaise with authorities and ensure their reporting won't compromise a dangerous situation.
    See if the family have been contacted etc etc...

They do the exact same in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Slane, Kerry etc.... Get over yourself and think about the people involved and their families.

apparently theirs a media blackout in relation to this incident

you can have a "media blackout" but you cant have a "social media blackout"...night all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Probably not being reported on RTE because of what happened at the siege in Abbeylara in 2000.

That time a lad locked himself in the house after shooting at the guards. Shannonside Radio and RTE detailed his entire mental health history on air as the siege was in progress and it didn't help matters one bit.

From wikipedia-
    In addition to the above findings the Barr Tribunal was particularly critical of the Irish media. This is worthy of note, despite the fact that the media organisations concerned did not accentuate this aspect of the report. Judge Barr found the RTÉ's Five Seven Live radio show was particularly irresponsible in naming John Carthy and Barr adjudged that "the facts and circumstances surrounding the fatal shooting of John Carthy as specified in the Tribunal’s Terms of Reference include matters which add[ed] to or could have potential for aggravating the deceased’s apparently serious mental distress which became progressively more severe as the episode at Abbeylara continued (vide the evidence of Dr. John Sheehan and other psychiatrists given at the Tribunal), and in consequence the potential for undermining the possibility of successful dialogue between the Garda negotiator and John Carthy which might have avoided the circumstances that gave rise to his death.

Advertisement