Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eviction drama

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

ChRoMe wrote: »
    "If they are on rent allowance you can easily check that their payments meet the rent. You are rejecting them on the basis of the source of the money not the amount."

As would the bank if they went for a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

The Spider wrote: »
    As would the bank if they went for a mortgage.

You are not assessing them for a mortgage.... why do you think its comparable?

You are not assessing them for a mortgage.... why do you think its comparable?

I'm assessing them on their ability to pay their rent on time every month and to easily have enough to live on afterwards, just as the bank would, if their rent is less than a third of their income, then the risk of them not paying the rent is substantially lower.

You said yourself that landlords speculate on tenants, and if they don't pay well then that's the business. Part of speculation means you get to choose what or who you speculate on.

Part of speculation means you get to choose what or who you speculate on.

So you would support such discriminatory practices such as no blacks (or insert any sort of socio-cultural-economic grouping to your taste)?

What you are doing is no different, the only deviation is what you are basing your discrimination on.

So you would support such discriminatory practices such as no blacks (or insert any sort of socio-cultural-economic grouping to your taste)?

What you are doing is no different, the only deviation is what you are basing your discrimination on.

Absolute nonsense your reaching there, and you know it. It's based on people's income and making sure I'm not out of pocket, because as you say you've got to speculate on your tenants.

• Advertisement

It's based on people's income

Except that's not what you are doing, because if it was you would accept rent allowance, as they have the money to pay the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Mr.Mackey wrote: »
    No I'm not exaggerating, the HSE are very difficult to deal with, hopefully you'll never have to deal with them.

Thankfully I've managed to secure a loan with the bank so he'll be paid off in full by Fri.

I understand I should have been paying but the rent was out of my means during that time, thankfully this is nearing resolution.

Have you tried approaching the community welfare officer and asking for an "Exceptional and urgent needs payments" seems like this is exactly the type of situation it is designed for and because you are working you will be expected to repay the money to the state and you'll avoid paying the bank's interest.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/exceptional_needs_payments.html#l1f4da

Except that's not what you are doing, because if it was you would accept rent allowance, as they have the money to pay the rent.

No they may have government supplied money for the rent, which won't cover all of it and they'll have to add to it.

And as you advise that a Landlord should speculate on a tenant, that includes a their outgoings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its a bit like trying to rent a hire car for cash, when they insist on a credit card. Is that racism?

beauf wrote: »
    Its a bit like trying to rent a hire car for cash, when they insist on a credit card. Is that racism?

Of course its not racism, what a surreal question!

• Advertisement
Advertisement