Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice sought on trustworthy pup sellers

• 05-09-2013 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

Hoping you can help. I've found lots of threads on Boards seeking recommendations for trustworthy dog breeders selling pups, but I was hoping for some updated advice.

I'm looking for a Labrador pup - for a whole bunch of reasons, which I'll spare you (!), it has to be a Labrador pup - and while I'd love to give a home to one abandoned, I'm struggling so far to find one on the ISPCA and other rescue sites.

I've seen lots of ads that I don't trust, I certainly don't want to give money to puppy farms, so would really appreciate if you could give me advice on where to find a trustworthy seller.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Have you tried Irishanimals.ie? You can refine the search to labs only and they've a few young labs on the site at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I've seen some black lab pups in a pound somewhere, I think in the Midlands, will see if I can find them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Your best bet is to contact the registered club in Ireland. Details should be available through the IKC.

http://labradorireland.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Your best bet is to contact the registered club in Ireland. Details should be available through the IKC.

http://labradorireland.com/

+1 thats what I did for my retriever pup a few months ago. They had a list and gave me contact details based on my location - I would have travelled if I needed to but it just worked out there was one 40 mins away from me and the breeder was fantastic so we got the pup from them! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Do they have to be pure lab?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Lots of young labs get dumped in pounds and rescues as they can be quite boisterous as youngsters. You could try some pounds and shelters around your area.

If you are determined to buy one please make sure the parents are hip and elbow scored. It doesn't eliminate the chance of a Lab getting displasia but it may greatly reduce the chances of it occurring.

I recently saw a 6 month old brown lab pup in the clinic with the joints of a 15 year old dog :(. The poor fellow is in near constant pain and will have a difficult life ahead of him with incredible expense on the owners. The best they can hope for is that he can be slightly comfortable but he will be on medication for the rest of his life and he will never be able to run or exercise like a normal dog :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CatherineOC

Many thanks to everyone for the replies, greatly appreciated.

I have been contacted, as a result of this post, by someone I trust, having checked out their ad elsewhere, so I *think* I am soon to be the proud owner of a Labrador.

Thank you again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I have been contacted, as a result of this post, by someone I trust, having checked out their ad elsewhere, so I *think* I am soon to be the proud owner of a Labrador.

Thank you again.

Have the parents of this potential new puppy been hip and elbow scored? If not, WALK AWAY!!!

Otherwise, and all going to plan, photos are mandatory when the new arrival gets home :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Thank you again.

Hopefully not an ad elsewhere online where people also sell cars and second hand prams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Please say it's not a person on the Cork/Kerry border selling 'proper chunky type' labs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Please say it's not a person on the Cork/Kerry border selling 'proper chunky type' labs!

Please avoid that breeder at all costs, loads of posts about the heart break of getting those labs with hip dysplasia.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I looked high and low for a lab pup a few years ago, pm if ya want. Found a great pup and I would go back to him in a minute. Parents went thru hip, elbow and dna testing. I didnt want heart ache later on in life. :cool:

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Advertisement