Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dust Devil

Options
  • 06-09-2013 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Cutting barley today,
    next field over had straw on the ground
    All of a sudden it started whisping up, and became a tornado, about 10m wide or more, carried a fair amount of straw in a funnel about 30 to 50m high in the air and then fizzled out after about 30 seconds, but the straw kept rising and slowly swirling up a couple of hundred meters, until it was out of sight, i'm guessing I lost about a round bales worth, maybe more,
    never saw that kinda thing before!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Not an actual tornado but a dust devil none the less, pretty cool. Where about's did it occur?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_devil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Dust devil. Carlow Dust Devil video:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Father was making hay near 30 years ago. I was there and saw the hay lift up into the air and spin with some of it off into a neighbours field.

It is a sight to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭laoisman11

A (slightly stupid?) question - how close could you get to the centre of one? What sort of wind speed and updraft would there be?

I'm thinking of dust devil surfing as a new hobby ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

Bsal wrote: »
    Not an actual tornado but a dust devil none the less, pretty cool. Where about's did it occur?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_devil

Was near Bettystown in co meath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

Would it be dangerous to jump into the middle of that considering it's not a tornado?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Would it be dangerous to jump into the middle of that considering it's not a tornado?

Go an have fun, if you search DeTube you will find dust devils that engulf people and just make them laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

In Ireland dust devils are more commonly called a fairy blast.

Advertisement