Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato

• 06-09-2013 8:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I have this plant in a container ..it came on leaps and bounds in last few weeks!

I would love some advice as to how I could keep it for next year.

Should I plant it out into garden (frost??)

should I put it into a bigger container ...more soil /conditioner

I have a lean to at side of house which would keep it frost free...with reasonable light , should I bring it in there...when should I take tomato off?

many thks

Paddy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Tomatoes wouldn't be treated as perrenials in this part of the world. Frost will kill it. You can try protect it but I reckon you are best off sowing more seeds early next spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Have a green house aldi job by basic any point throwing it in there!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

They give some protection but they wouldnt hold the heat or stop frost when winter comes in proper. Best bet might be to prune it hard and bring it indoors on to a sunny window sill. Reduce the water to nearly nothing but dont let it dry out. Dont feed. Then in early spring increase the watering and pot it up and feed once it takes off again.
    But in general people dont bother adn just sow new seed in spring.

Advertisement