Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending Wall Sockets??

Options
  • 06-09-2013 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

I hope I'm going to explain this right so that somebody in the know can advise!

I'm doing up my daughters room and as part of that I've put some cladding on the wall. The cladding is about 50mm thick and its on battens about 100mm - so all in all, it's about 150mm off the original wall.

There are 2 double sockets, a light switch and a telephone line on the wall and I've made the cuts for each of these. Excuse the lack of technical knowledge but each of the sockets etc is enclosed in its own plastic casing which is set in the plaster board. Instead of digging them out what I've done is get extra long 3mm screws so that I can move the facings of the sockets etc onto the cladding and screw them back into the casings.

My concern, which may be unfounded, is that there is then a small gap (behind the cladding) between the original plastic casings and their facings (maybe 50mm). There's nothing exposed, it's all behind the cladding, but I'm wondering if that's okay or if there's something I can get to plug the gap - if it needs to be plugged at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭stepinnman

Just to explain my query a bit better...here's a photo of what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

I would have thought what you plan to do is perfectly acceptable, the back of the sockets/switches will still be located in the existing box because of their own depth.

Advertisement