Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back from leave

Options
  • 06-09-2013 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

I work in a large office which is effectively a business to business call centre.
    We are salaried and also get commission for any Sales.

In June I came back from 4 months parental leave. Whilst I was out my territories were split between other Sales staff. This is normal when someone is away for a period of time.

When I came back in June I was given back most (not all) of those territories for which I was allowed to obtain new business (ie: make calls to potential new customers and get commission from any sales).

Despite not been given back all my territories i accepted it.

However my renewals for June, July, August and September were also taken away from me and were left with the other sales staff because, I was told, they had built up a relationship with those customers whilst I was on parental leave.

Now renewals are generally annual so the main contact with those customers would have been June, July, August ad September of last year when they were my customers where I would have gotten the sales.

This basically means that I now don't have access to 4 months of renewal sales (renewal sales make up 60 to 70% of my commission).

The law around parental leave is that a persons job must be exactly the same as when they left.

Whilst my contract terms don't appear to have changed, my salary and potential salary has dropped by 30 to 40% during these months.

I have now had 3 paycheques with a significant drop in pay compared to last year and compared to the months immediately prior to me going on parental leave.

Does anyone know whether this is allowed or whether I just have to accept it?

On a side note, but possibly relevant, the customer base of all Sales staff has been diluted over the past 2 years as the company has taken on extra sales staff with no increase in customer base. So my pay already decreased roughly 20% in 2 years.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Think its worth a letter to hr stating that you feel you have been disadvantaged by taking leave.

Leave it at that let them defend their case.

Have other employees been treated the same, whether leave for mat or other leave. If so them you can argue that your leave was different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DunneyGal

i know of at least one other person that was treated the same about a year before I was.

she was annoyed but didn't do anything about it. Instead she handed in her notice and left because of the way she was treated

maybe a letter to HR as you suggest would be a good start.
    i fear though that it's too late as I'm already down a few thousand euro compared to last year because of it.

Advertisement