Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IWatch

• 06-09-2013 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Could Apple surprise us with this on the 10th?

Seems like Samsung rushed to get their smartwatch announcement out first!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I'd say it's unlikely. There have been absolutely no leaks of any parts which normally happens, so I doubt it. I'd expect maybe a dedicated launch event for an iWatch, or maybe have it with the Mac and iPad event later in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Not a hope in hell seeing it this year.

Also I'm still a bit dubious on an apple watch. for the following reasons:

1. I think the battery will need to be kinetic, the samsung gear is going to last less than a day (they said it would last 24hours but we all know that's with everything turned off).
    2. Apple is not going to do an e-ink screen (they are fugly).
    3. Currently the tech isn't there for a kinetic motor to be able to power a colour screen.

I would however love to be proven wrong though.

Not a hope in hell seeing it this year.

Also I'm still a bit dubious on an apple watch. for the following reasons:

1. I think the battery will need to be kinetic, the samsung gear is going to last less than a day (they said it would last 24hours but we all know that's with everything turned off).
    2. Apple is not going to do an e-ink screen (they are fugly).
    3. Currently the tech isn't there for a kinetic motor to be able to power a colour screen.

I would however love to be proven wrong though.

Apple aren't the kind of company to invent technology so you're right to be dubious. Usually they find a technology which has been invented and never done right and do something great with it. There were music players, phones and tablets before the iPod, iPhone and iPad but Apple raised the bar. I don't see any watches on the market which are even ok: the samsung watch looks ok, the Pebble watch is limited.

The gear looks hideous, also wtf were they thinking with the camera placement, that will be annoying when typing on a keyboard. also it's laggy as hell, people are reporting that swipes between screen are taking 3 seconds.

The pebble isn't that limited when paired with the new accessory updates to iOS 7. but e-ink is terrible to look at imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I'm happy to wait for an iWatch anyway. It would take something special for me to be convinced on it & I don't think the technology is there for it right now to do what Apple wants it to do at an affordable price. Autumn 2014 with the iPhone 6 sounds more accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

As much as i'm a huge fan of the concept of smart watches, i'm not sure that they're really all that WOW, they're definitely a useful companion to a phone, but I don't think they're all that necessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

We're not anywhere near a mass appeal smart watch design. Apple won't go near it until they have a solution that brings a real usefulness to the configuration and no one has come anywhere near that yet.

Piliger wrote: »
    We're not anywhere near a mass appeal smart watch design. Apple won't go near it until they have a solution that brings a real usefulness to the configuration and no one has come anywhere near that yet.

The new M7 processor in the iPhone 5S designed for proper motion tracking could be the first hint towards an iWatch. And an iWatch could be less of a watch and more of a Nike fuel band sort of device, tethered to an iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Zcott wrote: »
    The new M7 processor in the iPhone 5S designed for proper motion tracking could be the first hint towards an iWatch. And an iWatch could be less of a watch and more of a Nike fuel band sort of device, tethered to an iPhone.
    Which would make it a product of deeply marginal usefulness to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

I think that actual watch makers should continue to make awesome watches, but with connected features like notifications...the closest thing i've seen is the kukoo - http://www.cookoowatch.com/Product_features.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Time for a bump! The iwatch seems to be coming in Sept. I'm looking forward to see what Apple come up with. I would spend 3 or 4 hundred if it's good enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

Time for a bump! The iwatch seems to be coming in Sept. I'm looking forward to see what Apple come up with. I would spend 3 or 4 hundred if it's good enough!

How do you know its coming?

jamesd wrote: »
    How do you know its coming?

All the circumstantial stuff points to it. And T Cook will want to launch something new. Would anyone else buy one? What price point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

All the circumstantial stuff points to it. And T Cook will want to launch something new. Would anyone else buy one? What price point?

€250 max if it's something really revolutionary. Don't think I would be buying the first generation model either. Definitely will wait to see how things pan out & maybe jump on iWatch v2 or 3 if it's actually worth the cash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

At this stage, I think we can say with reasonable certainty it's going to be primarily health/fitness focused à la the Nike fuel band and will probably require an iPhone. Anyone looking to make FaceTime calls with this thing needs to get their expectations in check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

At this stage, I think we can say with reasonable certainty it's going to be primarily health/fitness focused à la the Nike fuel band and will probably require an iPhone. Anyone looking to make FaceTime calls with this thing needs to get their expectations in check.

Why would you want this anyway?

Who wants a watch with battery issues like a phone has?
    Outside the fitness issue I don't see the need for one.

I don't like the idea of talking to your watch or it vibrating on your arm etc.

I dont know anyone who wants to make facetime calls with a watch. I know lots of people who are fed up of taking out a phone to check time or date or text message. Add some health functions and you have a device that would interest me. Add some innovative interactions with localised services and alerts and I would be very interested.

I agree with everything said here. this is the best guess of what the "iWatch" will be by making informed educated guesses instead of posting mockups to dribbble and the likes — http://furbo.org/2014/03/13/wearing-apple/

I agree with everything said here. this is the best guess of what the "iWatch" will be by making informed educated guesses instead of posting mockups to dribbble and the likes — http://furbo.org/2014/03/13/wearing-apple/

It will be interesting when Apple launch their iWatch. Or iWrist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

i think that's ugly tbh.

also a lady wouldn't wear it. Apple's wrist based device will be gender neutral.

i think that's ugly tbh.

also a lady wouldn't wear it. Apple's wrist based device will be gender neutral.

Why? I know I'm wrong but I hope they have learned they're a consumer company and the consumer needs a range of products! Imagine one watch from Rolex.

Advertisement