Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groomer problem

• 06-09-2013 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

A family member brought their dog to the groomers yesterday and the dog came back with a cut on her leg. She's hopping mad and wants the groomers to pay for a vet bill should she need it.

Now, a bit of background. The dog is older, she's a yorkie, maybe 11 at this stage and while she has visited the groomers in the past and they have her details on file, on this visit it was discovered that she had 2 little lumps, or skin tags on her leg and this is what the groomer cut (one of them) presumably with clippers.

When they went to collect the dog, they were told that this had happened and "you should have told us about the lumps". Truthfully they didn't know, the dog gets loads of affection but somehow these skin tags managed to go unnoticed in amongst all the rubs and cuddles she gets. And obviously they weren't there the last time she went to the groomers a few months back or they would have noticed. The dog also gets regular vet checks as she has a sensitive gut and a heart murmur. She's in the vets probably more often than the groomers.

So last night the dog decided to go to town on licking the little cut so it's redder this morning. A buster collar was put on her before she went to bed but she wriggled out of it and was licking away. So now they're thinking of bringing her to the vet to make sure it's not infected and that the groomer should pay.

My take on it is that mistakes can happen and if they didn't even know the lumps/skin tags were there, how can they blame the groomer for cutting it? Also I would be way more concerned about getting the lumps checked out and kind of thankful that they were discovered if there is anything more sinister to it.

What do you think? I wouldn't be going into the groomers all guns blazing, maybe I'm too soft though.

PS, just to add, I'm calling them both lumps and skin tags as I haven't seen them and my relative is calling them lumps, the groomer called them skin tags. (But they could be playing them down)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My take on it is that mistakes can happen and if they didn't even know the lumps/skin tags were there, how can they blame the groomer for cutting it? Also I would be way more concerned about getting the lumps checked out and kind of thankful that they were discovered if there is anything more sinister to it.

+1 If the family and groomers didn't know then it was an accident imo? Also it's not groomers fault of the dog won't leave the wounds alone - that imo is a training issue. I say that having gone thru operations with my dog and cut paws etc where he left the wounds alone once he was told to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

tk123 wrote: »
    +1 If the family and groomers didn't know then it was an accident imo? Also it's not groomers fault of the dog won't leave the wounds alone - that imo is a training issue. I say that having gone thru operations with my dog and cut paws etc where he left the wounds alone once he was told to!

They've only had the dog a few years, she belonged to a different family member who had to go abroad with work for a few years and on return it was decided that it was best to leave her where she was rather than change her routine. She has had a lot of training since they got her, but prior to that, not much at all. And in fairness, it's easy to watch a dog when she's awake but typical that she would get out of the buster collar and go to town on it overnight! Had I been told last night, I would have told her to go to dunnes/penneys and get a babygro to put on the dog, far more effective, particularly if they knew she could wriggle out of the buster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Not remotely the groomer's fault, imo. Skin tags, whether on people or animals, will bleed like mad, but it's usually not problematic. If it were me I'd put on a topical antiseptic and wrap it up well to stop her licking it; it should be fine in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 quistissme

To be honest, professional groomer should get you sign the consent form which is stating that the dog owner should take the risk, groomer should not responsible for any risk regarding to the grooming. If that is understandable.

Advertisement