Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetable trivet and basting

Options
  • 06-09-2013 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Since learning to cook, I've always used the Jamie Oliver inspired vegetable trivet when roasting meat, in particular chicken. A big ol' pile of carrots, onions and celery (and garlic) in the middle of the roasting tray with the chicken balanced on top. However, during the week I bought a new roasting dish and it came with its own trivet (well a rack).

In my mind, the veg trivet has 3 uses
    1. It keeps the chicken off the bottom of the pan, allowing heat to 'circulate' (this might be b*****x)
    2. It provides moisture to keep meat moist and adds to the amount of liquid I can use to baste the chicken
    3. It provides the base for a subsequent gravy.

I believe 1 is resolved by the rack and I never make gravy so that's 3 out the window. So I guess the only thing left is 2, which brings up the question, where does the liquid come from? Is it all chicken juices? Should I add some stock or something underneath the rack to provide more liquid?

Since I know I can make a decent roast chicken with a veg trivet and my old roasting tin, any tips on making a decent one use a rack?

(This is the not exact same, but it's pretty close -> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Class-Roasting-Roaster-Non-Stick/dp/B000BNTQEC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378457705&sr=8-1&keywords=roasting+dish+with+rack)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I normally add liquid below the rack when I roast something, especially chicken. I think it makes a difference to the moisture of the meat. Tbh I usually just add boiling water just before it goes in the oven, I've never noticed a massive difference between it and stock or wine unless you're making a gravy after

• Registered Users Posts: 11,449 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

For chicken, a fino (or dry) sherry works for me as well as a bouquet garni

Advertisement