Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais PAYG Meter

Options
  • 06-09-2013 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

Hey I am just wondering whats the story with the pay as you go meter, this is the 2nd year in a row where I haven't used the heating whatsoever over the summer months, I had a few euro left on the meter around May and haven't touched it since but when I went to put some credit in it this morning it was saying I owed 39 euros :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

There is a standing charge for gas, which I think is what you owe there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

They are charging you the standing charge all along, I'm not sure if you are also paying a rental to Bord Gais too.

You can ring at the start of the Summer and go' No standing charge' and then you wont be charged for it during the Summer, but If you do use the gas while on this you will pay a massive rate for each unit. Then in Sept, ring and go on the normal tariff and your credit will still be there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

There's a standing charge..? How much is it per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anywhere from 83 to 277 a year depending on tariff, divide by 12 for the amount taken monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    They are charging you the standing charge all along, I'm not sure if you are also paying a rental to Bord Gais too.

You can ring at the start of the Summer and go' No standing charge' and then you wont be charged for it during the Summer, but If you do use the gas while on this you will pay a massive rate for each unit. Then in Sept, ring and go on the normal tariff and your credit will still be there.
    There's no "No standing charge" tariff on a PAYG meter. Basically OP, you have to pay the sames rates as any other bill pay customer therefore in the Summer when you don't use the meter, it accumulates the charges and you pay it back from your first few top ups.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There's a standing charge..? How much is it per month.

Of course there is. Just like for your electricity at present and you water meter in future!

Of course there is. Just like for your electricity at present and you water meter in future!
    I think the rate is gone up.
    My ma tops up every Wednesday with €30+ and we normally have €12 left.
    This week we have less than a euro!
    I don't think it's our usage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

The standing charge is about 30 cent a day

Fück sake!
    I'm here at home on my own, just after getting my JC results back and both my parents are gone to work.
    The stupid elextricity is gone because ESB raised their prices and we've no credit...
    Now I'll have to wait until 5 with no tele no computer and a phone with 16‰ battery..

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Get rid of the PAYG meter and pay your bills then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Fück sake!
    I'm here at home on my own, just after getting my JC results back and both my parents are gone to work.
    The stupid elextricity is gone because ESB raised their prices and we've no credit...
    Now I'll have to wait until 5 with no tele no computer and a phone with 16‰ battery..

Use the €5 emergency credit

Use the €5 emergency credit
    How do I do that?
    It isn't on there already..
    The fridges and all are gonna start melting.. Ugh.
    7‰ battery too... Great

bassey wrote: »
    Get rid of the PAYG meter and pay your bills then
    We do pay our bills always on time too. The only reason we've the meter is because the ESB said it's in our best interests as it will help maintain a lower bill and all that nonsense.

How do I do that?
    It isn't on there already..
    The fridges and all are gonna start melting.. Ugh.
    7‰ battery too... Great

Leave the fridge closed and it's good for almost 24 hours.
    No computer? Low battery on phone? Then what are you doing on here?
    No school today????

Leave the fridge closed and it's good for almost 24 hours.
    No computer? Low battery on phone? Then what are you doing on here?
    No school today????

As I said in my original post, I just got my JC results back, there is no school.
    My electricity is back now because I Ma topped it up over the phone from work and I was using 3G.

Panic over so! Schools here are all in today and getting results before they go home at four!
    You can obviously afford to pay your bills so get Mammy to contact your electricity supplier and have that payg Meter and removed. If you have no difficulty paying bills then this system is not for you for so many of reasons.

Panic over so! Schools here are all in today and getting results before they go home at four!
    You can obviously afford to pay your bills so get Mammy to contact your electricity supplier and have that payg Meter and removed. If you have no difficulty paying bills then this system is not for you for so many of reasons.
    Until 4..? How could anyone focus on school knowing their results are on the way. The Meter system is for anyone who wants it. ESB don't mind having to install them, they offer you one if your bill is in excess of €150

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Bull****, Electric Ireland only offer the PAYG meter when you fall into arrears, there's whole estates that purposely go into arrears to get the PAYG meter because they reckon it's easier to manage, until something like this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Srameen - Please post courteously towards other posters.

dudara

dudara wrote: »
    @Srameen - Please post courteously towards other posters.

dudara

Apologies. Deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Are you sure they will let you opt in and out for the Summer months each year, I would have thought you would have to commit to at least a year.

My gas boiler died last year and I paid standing charges until April, I then called them to see how much it would be to cut of the gas for a year until I save up for a boiler, they said I could just go on 'no standing charge' until it was fixed but if I had used the gas in the mean time it would have cost 5 times the usual rate.

I just got the boiler fixed and moved back to the standard rate. I don't have a payg meter and it was bord Gais.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They don't offer that on PAYG meters though.

Oh, stay away from PAYG meters so.

Advertisement