Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mushroomology

• 06-09-2013 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

My RSV Mille is away at the menders to deal with the results of my low speed tumble on the LHS and the previous owner's low speed tumble on the RHS. There had been mushrooms on the main side fairings in the past which have now been removed leaving a C-shaped bracket on each side.

Looking online, R&G offer enough mushrooms to make my bike look like a hippy's vegetable patch which is confusing me. I've never seen more than one or two pairs on most bikes. In fact, an awful lot seem to only have the main side fairing mushrooms only.

How many pairs would be advisable to a bike like mine without breaking the bank? The bike is pretty clean but not mint and I'm not that precious about it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I only ever use 2. One for each side of the main fairing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Got all excited there...thought it was a thread about mushy season :D

I run mushrooms on both sides + crash bobbins on front/rear wheels...if it saves paying out major €'s if I have a slide, compared to minimum €'s payout for max protection...it's a no-brainer...just my 2 cents ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

This is a bit of a sticky topic depending on who you talk to...I was thinking (still am thinking) of getting a set for the 1050 Sprint. Was looking to get them off a few dealers when two big dealers I was talking to said as far as they were concerned they do more damage on the bike then without, he was saying that with them on they make the bike "Flip" over the 1st thing they hit doing way more damage then if the bike just slid along and came to rest. They are useful for if you drop the bike on its side etc.

Each to their own I would say but it gets you thinking.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I suppose my belief has always been that if you're dropping the bike hard enough to do real damage to it, you're calling the insurance company anyway. In for a penny, in for a pound, maybe. I think I do agonise about what to do with my GSX1400 because I'm much more precious about it and it surviving a faster tumble with my NCB going for a Burton would be preferable to it being written off with a bent frame due to a crash mushroom.

I did actually have a pair on by Busa and they did save the bike when it fell over off the stand in the garage. This time, it's after costing me maybe €350 - €400 out of my pocket and I feel if it had been a proper off with a good four figure bill, I wouldn't have hesitated invoking the insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

mushrooms, front and rear spindles/paddock bobbins, and engine case covers on the street triple

if the bike is sliding along the road with enough force and speed, that a 'catching mushroom' can flip a bike over onto the otherside (!), the bike would have been a write off anyway imo. I only expect mine to protect from slow speed drops, and slides. Over 40-50kph, all bets are off really - crash protection or not imo

• Advertisement
Advertisement