Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia for 3 Weeks!!

Options
  • 06-09-2013 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi All,

I am heading to Oz for three weeks at the end of oct. Planning on seeing as much of the east coast as possible. Just two of us going.....havent an itenary planned yet but want to hit sydney, brisbane cairns, great barrier reef and whitsundays, and melbourne hopefully during cup week in november. Has anyone any suggestions about a route...top to bottom or what to do not to do. Or even places which could be of interest???? Were a mid twenties couple...and are thinking about hiring a campervan to do most of the sightseeing.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Rentals are very expensive, especially for a camper van! Check out this site
    http://www.imoova.com/imoova/relocations

You can get free rental relocations, or $1 a day etc. They are rentals that have been rented 1 way and they need to be relocated back to their origin so they let people rent them for free to bring them back to their destination. Once you have it all arranged in advance and booked in, you can travel for free almost anywhere. You can even post a few ads on gumtree to do some ride share to cut the cost of fuel down (I made it from Cairns to Sydney after I bought my Landcruiser up there for $40...to go about 3000KM's doing ride shares).

The ONLY catch with the free rentals are you have a certain amount of days to get from A to B and a certain amount of KM's you are allowed drive between A and B. If you can handle that, its a winner. All the usual terms come wit the rental about insurance, damage etc... If you are easy enough with your schedule you can try to get a 4WD camper van. (Usually a Landcruiser Troopcarrier converted into a camper) so you can hit some unsealed/dirt roads. Just do some research on 4WDing and off roading first.

The likes of Wicked Camper vans and Jucy Camper van rentals can easily be up to $1000 a week.

Even if you get a small hyundai Getz as a free rental just buy a cheap tent and you can stay in one of the many, many proper camp sites up the coast for as little as $20-$30 a night.

If you are going in November I'd recommend possibly starting up north first and working south. For one reason it will be getting really hot in November and only getting hotter the later in the year it gets, so working your way south you'll be coming into slightly more comfortable weather. Secondly December onwards can be the wet season up north and the last few years the floods have cut some places off and thats the last thing you want on holiday.

There are some interesting places away from the coast too. It can be a bit of a hike to get to these places if your on a tight schedule though.

If you're looking to do it on a cheaper budget you can always couch surf here and there.

Advertisement