Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soft rack. Wet car. Any way to avoid?

Options
  • 06-09-2013 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi all

Actually the soft rack got wrecked from leaving it out too long, so I now just strap the boards straight to the roof with those good straps with metal wire in them and locks on them.
    Anyway, with either option, when it rains the water runs along the strap and into the car, dripping on passengers which is v annoying. Anyone found any solutions for this? Sometimes I've stuffed tissues or clothes to try and absorb the water coming through but it's not a great solution..

Thanks

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Take the board in the car, saves on petrol and has the added advantage of having at least one less surfer in the break that your surfing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I've seen people tie socks the the straps just before it goes into the car. Soft racks and straps holding boards down is only good for on holidays, you are much better off with a roof rack. If you have an estate with rails then Lidl and Aldi often have racks. Or got to a good motor factors or Halfords but bars and a mounting kit for your car. If you change car you only have to buy a new mounting kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Buy a proper roof rack if you cant store in the car. I bought a set of rails in lidl for my estate for 40 bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Once you know how much strap/webbing is exposed outside the vehicle with your board loaded, tie a simple overhand knot at each side of the car just before the strap/webbing enters the joint of the respective door & roof. This will act as a "drip" & hopefully help or eliminate the problem altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

yeah those sorf racks are cheap and cheerful but not really up to a lot. as one of the posters was saying, if the board fits in the car it's prob the handiest but with a sock to stop getting wax all over the interior. a hard rack simply can't be beat, will easily take a bunch of boards, couple of kayaks etc.... not that expensive if you shop about and don't need to get the pricey thule aerobars etc. enjoy the stoke anyways :-)

• Advertisement

After having had a roof rack blown off the car, I'd always go with the ones that were designed for the car over the ones the clip onto the door frame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

rodento wrote: »
    After having had a roof rack blown off the car, I'd always go with the ones that were designed for the car over the ones the clip onto the door frame

****! :eek:
    do tell us more how did that work out? what did you have on it?

Had an longboard on the rack and got hit by a strong side wind that ripped the clips clean off.

Luckily no one was behind me, don't think the insurance company would have covered me for damaged the roof rack could have caused.

Problem with the cheaper racks is that they can side on the door frame which reduces there effectiveness and a strong gusting side wind can easily blow them off a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

patjunfa wrote: »
    Hi all

Actually the soft rack got wrecked from leaving it out too long, so I now just strap the boards straight to the roof with those good straps with metal wire in them and locks on them.
    Anyway, with either option, when it rains the water runs along the strap and into the car, dripping on passengers which is v annoying. Anyone found any solutions for this? Sometimes I've stuffed tissues or clothes to try and absorb the water coming through but it's not a great solution..

Thanks

P

Used to wreck my head too. Bit of this might work. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Silicone-Grease-Multi-Purpose-Grease-Water-Repellent-Carlube-70g-Long-Lasting-/230700303884?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item35b6cf460c

Soft racks are not designed for motorway driving or any kind of speed! If you surf more than once every few months and need to put your boards on a roof then hard racks are the only way to go. €100 is not too much money to protect your gear and potentially others from a potentially bad accident. Plus you protect the roof of your car.

Another thing for people out there. The nose of your board should always be pointed down (fins up front/back for a longboard or back for a shorboard) when putting a board on the roof. The amount of people who pass me on the road with the fins down and nose up at the front is scary especially combined with the soft racks!

• Advertisement

This aint how its done lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

Possibly put a load of insulating tape above where the strap meets the door for a few inches up, seemed to stop it on the last set I had and it doesnt chaffe the door seals as bad when you winch it tight. I Bought a set of those inflateable roof racks few years ago which used to deflate with in 10 mins of huffing and puffing them up?? I presumed as the air inside got cooler the faster you went... try avoid.

Advertisement