Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Natural high!

• 06-09-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Ex Drinker, Ex Smoker looking for a natural high. Any suggestions.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Go out and run 10k. Feel the dopamine.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Not sure about natural, but I find coffee gives me a great boost during the day..

Also, a fresh smoothie with banana and lots of berries with a shot of guarana and/or ginseng.. 'Feel good' food!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jimmyRotator

lift weights, have sex, eat chillis.
    any behaviour that releases endorphins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

lift weights, have sex, eat chillis.
    any behaviour that releases endorphins.

For a real high do them simultaneously

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Ex Drinker, Ex Smoker looking for a natural high. Any suggestions.

Running! No doubt about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Maybe ask yourself why you need a natural high in the first place :-)

I find surfing and bodyboarding 20 foot waves a good buzz....

Geomy wrote: »
    Maybe ask yourself why you need a natural high in the first place :-)

I find surfing and bodyboarding 20 foot waves a good buzz....

According to Mihaly Csikszentmaihalyi natural highs are really good for us and a natural antidote to depression and anxiety. He describes it as being in 'flow'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Dancing gives me a great natural high.. I'm always the last off the dancefloor at weddings etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Cycling I started the end of February and I love it train 3 or 4 times a week and do either big sportive s like the An Post series or club spins at the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

'If you have a keen desire to free yourself from any destructive habit, you are already 51 per cent healed. When your desire to give up the bad habit is greater than your need to continue it, you will be amazed to discover that complete freedom is but a step away.
    Out with negative and destructive thinking, time for a bit of self esteem, self belief and recognition of what we are truly capable of when we want something badly.
    :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭burnhardlanger

Sea Swimming.

Sauna + Cold Shower (repeatedly).

Hiking.

Any watersports - at one (and at the mercy of) the elements, the wind in your face and the sound of the waves .. bliss.

Running also gives a superb high, very addictive. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭burnhardlanger

Speaking in public. Be it a speech at a wedding, doing a reading at mass, addressing people at work, it's a natural high to be the centre of peoples attention for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pugsydoggz

Jogging really does it for me, well used to :o

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Lifting weights esp squatting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

You know what , I get a natural high from just waking up without the dreaded feelings of sickness and doom that I felt most mornings,It's a buzz I have now and it's a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

I'm getting natural highs from facing my fears and having the courage to do things that I kept putting off because of the drink. I have now finished up in the dentist and have good oral hygiene after 3 trips, 3 fillings, 2 extractions and a deep clean! Feel so proud of myself that I finally bit the bullet and went after 3 years of putting it off...it gave me a natural high today to finally have beaten a fear that held me back for so so long! Next step is my sexual health. Just for piece of mind and knowing that I am in good health is making me stronger and more confident in myself. Drink NEVER made me feel this way! I'm all for natural highs and being high on life itself....over coming challenges and obstacles is doing it for me and may it continue for some time to come....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Says I To Bridey

Donate blood. Made me feel a lot better afterwards than I thought it would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I wish I could run, I miss it! But even five minutes of running makes me knee really painful. I've had it checked out and I have rehab exercises for it. They are so incredibly boring and tedious. I can cycle without pain, though. It's not as enjoyable. At least it's something.

Advertisement