Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband recommendation for Corofin

• 06-09-2013 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I'm moving to Corofin next week and am looking for recommendations for broadband providers. I spoke to Vodafone this morning and they said the line is only capable of 15.3mb. Does anyone here live in Corofin and if so, who donyou have your broandband with?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Not from Corofin myself but the exchange is ADSL+2 which means its a maximum of 24Mb download. Now if Vodafone said your line is capable of 15.3Mb then I'm afraid it would be the same across all ADSL providers (eircom etc).

You won't get mobile broadband in Corofin faster then that. I would say the same with fixed wireless.

If your looking for an alternative to fixed line broadband you could try ripplecom or lighthouse networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

I'm in corofin, with eircom, neighbour is with vodafone.
    Same physical link.
    Best you'll get is usually just north of 10 meg.

PS - Welcome to the village

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Mr. G wrote: »
    Not from Corofin myself but the exchange is ADSL+2 which means its a maximum of 24Mb download. Now if Vodafone said your line is capable of 15.3Mb then I'm afraid it would be the same across all ADSL providers (eircom etc).

You won't get mobile broadband in Corofin faster then that. I would say the same with fixed wireless.

Sorry, i meant is one provider better than the other in terms of congestion on the line, etc, (or maybe that isn't an issue - i only have mobile broadband currently)
    Mr. G wrote: »
    If your looking for an alternative to fixed line broadband you could try ripplecom or lighthouse networks.

Thanks, i will check them out
    tagoona wrote: »
    I'm in corofin, with eircom, neighbour is with vodafone.
    Same physical link.
    Best you'll get is usually just north of 10 meg.

PS - Welcome to the village

mel.b wrote: »
    Sorry, i meant is one provider better than the other in terms of congestion on the line, etc, (or maybe that isn't an issue - i only have mobile broadband currently)

Thanks, i will check them out

It depends on your contention ratio too. In terms of speeds from what I hear generally Eircom and Vodafone are quite good and speeds are what they say they are.

Mobile speeds are hit and miss. You won't get anything like 15Mb.

Welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

mel.b wrote: »

Eircom are grand. About the same as vodafone in terms of usage.
    Really does depend on the deal they can offer at the moment
    3/6 months half price etc.
    In terms of support, it's slight easier to get Eircom on the phone, but I was with vodafone before, and they weren't bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

I was in Laghtagoona there for a while, I was getting 20Mb from the 24Mb line with Eircom. As far as I know, Eircom are 24:1 while Vodafone are 48:1 contention ratio.

The Eircom service was great, bullet proof, never a problem, even during peak times. Also with Eircom, if there is ever a problem, you are dealing with the top of the supply chain off the bat, whereas if you go with other providers, they often blame Eircom and tell you to go to them and the book gets passed around a lot.

Mobile broadband was non existent in Laghtagoona. Before getting Eircom in, I tried 4 different dongles (o2, Vodafone, Three and Meteor) and tried the dongles all over the house etc. Awful, Usually Edge connections with download speeds worse than dialup.

Go with Eircom and look for a bundle deal.

Advertisement