Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a ceiling light

Options
  • 06-09-2013 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭

I am replacing a pendant light fitting and have run into a problem. I switched off from the fuse board so I don't electrocute myself. However, when I removed the old light there are the normal brown/blue/grren and yellow wires coming out of the ceiling along with 2 others ??
    There is an extra earth (green/yellow) and a spare blue which seems to be taped off..
    What do I do with the extra wires ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

take a picture please if you can, if you are using a ceiling rose that has some connections that you don't need and are not linked the taped off connection would be better off in there. If its taped off and the existing fitting is working then you don't need it, but it should be in a connector block, not taped up. You will essentially have three cables or groups of cables, some neutrals joined , possibly more than one live joined, and possibly more than one earth joined,

Only the gods will know what colors the installer used

be careful with the taped up cables, they may still be live, fed from another supply to the one you turned off.

the electrician you are recommended to get to look at this would power off the whole board before touching a taped up cable in the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Stoner wrote: »
    take a picture please if you can, if you are using a ceiling rose that has some connections that you don't need and are not linked the taped off connection would be better off in there. If its taped off and the existing fitting is working then you don't need it, but it should be in a connector block, not taped up. You will essentially have three cables or groups of cables, some neutrals joined , possibly more than one live joined, and possibly more than one earth joined,

Only the gods will know what colors the installer used

be careful with the taped up cables, they may still be live, fed from another supply to the one you turned off.

the electrician you are recommended to get to look at this would power off the whole board before touching a taped up cable in the ceiling.

There ya go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Ok I gave up. I called an electrician who will fit it this evening. Got a bit out of my depth. Cheers

Advertisement