Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinosaurs They Don't Make Anymore

Options
  • 06-09-2013 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

I'm doing another one of those weird little series that I like to do. This one is about dinosaurs that were common in my childhood but no longer grace books and popular culture anymore. More musing than actual science reporting...

The first instalment is about strange spinosaur reconstructions like this guy:
    80s-Spinosaurus.jpg

http://www.krank.ie/category/sci/dinosaurs-dont-make-anymore-weirdo-spinosaurs/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

There's an innacuracy in your article... the Spino was always chasing after Tea Leoni, not William H Macy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Are you gonna go near the whole feathered v scaled dinosaur issue ? ie feathered or scaly t-rex

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Scaly T Rex. No other option :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

The feathered one looks cute

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

In an around the 1900s they made actual model of these and displayed them to the public as real. :)

I'm increasingly going with the feathers, when one sees an Ostrich up close it's all to similar.

However, big birds don't sound as, erm, romantic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

No to feathers. Yes to a time machine.

All feathers do is allow Horner to further push his turkey vulture theory for T Rex. Would give him a chance to say that Rex was feathered save for a big bald head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Kess73 wrote: »
    Scaly T Rex. No other option :D

I got thrown out of a paleontology class at Uni over a comment I made about this. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Rubecula wrote: »
    I got thrown out of a paleontology class at Uni over a comment I made about this. :D:D

What did you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Adam Khor wrote: »
    What did you say?

We were shown what were then up to date models of various creatures and asked to identify them. Nobody actually got that one. Lecturer said "Come on Comen on It has short fleshy limbs, and scaley skin, what is it? Apparently shouting out "Nikki Lauda" was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I wasn't planning on doing feathers v scales as such, but I did want to do something on Deinonychus' fall from vogue.
    Was planning an doing another installment this week, but too busy as it stands. Hopefully will make it a fortnightly series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Advertisement