Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading home for Xmas

Options
  • 06-09-2013 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice/suggestions in relation to a work issue.

I'm currently living abroad and just started a job in a toy shop this week, it's casual work so I only get about 10-15 hours a week.
    As you can imagine, at this time of the year places like toy shops take on people with the intention of having them for Christmas when it's very busy so I fall into this category. However, the problem is that I'll be heading home for Christmas for 4 weeks.

During the interview/meeting I had with the store manager, she asked if I had any plans to be away over the Christmas period and I replied that I didn't. They don't allow anyone time off from November onwards, which to be fair is understandable.
    I know it's a kinda bad thing that I did but if I said I would be going back home for nearly a month over Xmas, there's absolutely no way they would have taken me on. I took it as I really need the money, having finished a job elsewhere a few weeks ago and anyway if I didn't take it (or told them I was heading home for the Xmas period), I'd only be sitting in the apartment all day until end of November doing nothing.
    If I was to try get a job anywhere else, it would have been the same situation (i.e. not telling them I would be gone for Xmas).

So basically, what would you think I should do when the end of November arrives and I'll be heading home?
    There's always handing in my week's notice, it isn't ideal as it would mean definitely not having a job to come back to when I come back out after Xmas.
    Or there's the "I have to urgently go home for a family matter", which would mean the possibility of staying in the job when I get back out.
    In either situation, I'll be leaving them hung out (yes, I know it's bad but like I said I need the money with bills and rent having to be paid!)

Any suggestions on what I could say to them?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

You can try all the BS excuses you like but anyone with half a brain is going to know that there is no 'urgent family matter' at home that just happens to have occurred over christmas. If you do manage to get away with it, you are going to have to go back with a contrived story and make sure you remember it forever more whilst working there.

I don't know what the employment laws are where you are living, but chances are that with only being there less than 6 months by the time you leave for home you won't need to be given much notice or excuse for not being kept on.

I think the only genuinely honest thing to do is to work as hard as possible for the next 4-6 weeks and show them your value. At that point, tell them that although you hadn't planned to go home, you have now decided that you really want to go home for Christmas. Apologise profusely and hope that your few weeks of hard work will have made a good impression on them. They will either agree or not. But you have some hope of leaving on good terms as they will still have a bit of time to replace you for the busy Nov/Dec period. Even if they are less than happy, you never know, but they might grudgingly give you a few hours in Jan when the sales are on or whatever.

Lying won't save your job so better to be honest and at least be decent to your co-workers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

KissMeArse wrote: »
    During the interview/meeting I had with the store manager, she asked if I had any plans to be away over the Christmas period and I replied that I didn't. They don't allow anyone time off from November onwards, which to be fair is understandable.
    KissMeArse wrote: »
    In either situation, I'll be leaving them hung out (yes, I know it's bad but like I said I need the money with bills and rent having to be paid!)

Well it really depends which country you are talking about. For instance I can tell you in Switzerland if you did this, you would be held liable for any losses the company suffered as a result of your behaviour! Since most countries have civil law in Europe rather than common law like Ireland, so you may find other countries have similar rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

This thread could also be titled "employee purposely lied to us to get a job, should we terminate employment immediately?"

OP they employed you subject to you being available to work over Christmas, when you tell them you are going home you will be sacked and rightly so for misleading them on this vital condition of employment. Why would you expect any other outcome?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

davo10 wrote: »
    This thread could also be titled "employee purposely lied to us to get a job, should we terminate employment immediately?"

OP they employed you subject to you being available to work over Christmas, when you tell them you are going home you will be sacked and rightly so for misleading them on this vital condition of employment. Why would you expect any other outcome?

I expect the whole point of taking someone on now and confirming that they will be available over the Christmas period is to ensure they are trained up and ready to deal with the Christmas rush... But given the OP's handle I'm sure they are not to concerned about little things like that... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

If it was me I wouldn't even be thinking about staying in the job, I'd just be thinking of going home for Christmas. The job won't be there for you, give up on that dream, but who cares, I'm sure you will find something

• Advertisement
Advertisement