Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat exam results confusion!

Options
  • 06-09-2013 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey guys,
    Just a quick question. I had to sit 4 exams there for the repeats. I passed 3 out of the 4 but got an F in the other!
    Given the fact that that the repeat exam I got an F in, i actually got a D2 for it in the first semester, and because my qca is now above 2.0. Can I progress now on to second year or no?

Help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I think if you repeat an exam the grade you got in the repeat is overrides the original grade. Get in contact with the lecture and Paddy in the SU and see if something can be worked out. You can't proceed into the next year with an F and will have to redo the module.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Buffalo606

I thought that they pick the better grade of the two, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Yes you should be fine, once your > 2.0 that D is irelevant

You mean that the F in the repeat exam is irrelevant is it? because i got a D the first time i sat the exam, and given that my qca >2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Neil McCauleys Cooler Brother

Why did you have to repeat an exam you got a D in?

• Advertisement

Because my qca was less than 2.0! But because I passed all my other repeat exams bar the one I got an F in, my qca is now >2.0! I just want to know really if that F that i got in the repeat exam is irrelevant now, and that I can just progress onto the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yes you can progress. The higher of the repeat grade or the original exam is what counts. So it is your D2 will count in this case.

Great! Well that's a relief anyways! Thanks for all the feedback guys! Appreciate the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Yes you can progress. The higher of the repeat grade or the original exam is what counts. So it is your D2 will count in this case.

I was always told that the original grade was wiped when it came to repeats. Lectures must have been trying to scare us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I think that may originate from the fact that in the case of a recheck, the original grade is totally open to revision either way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement