Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A small island no one pays any attention to

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

o1s1n wrote: »
    Go to this website, put London as the main target, select the Russian 'Tsar Bomba' and see what happens.

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Doesn't take too many to cover the whole UK, does it?

Ok, maybe we'll hold off on the thermo intercontinental nuclear war for now then.

It does beg the question though, how many nukes does he have pointed at the small insignificant island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

"We"

I take it you must be British and talking about Britain, otherwise I doubt Dublin will be nuking anyone anytime soon.

Does Dublin even have any nuke like items?

"We"

I take it you must be British and talking about Britain, otherwise I doubt Dublin will be nuking anyone anytime soon.

Except Mayo in two weeks time!

Boosh!

COYBIB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

ONeill2013 wrote: »
    but isn't it a germanic language?

And arent we all originally fish that crawled out of the sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Its a pathetic country. Biggest rich poor divide in the world. Russian billionaires siphering money out of the country any which way they can, ironically what do they do with the money only buy up half of London. More corrupt than any other large nation in the world. They have massive natural resources that are being pissed away.

And yet the average joe soap there hasnt a bean. Nobody can retire in Russia, any pensions they had from the soviet years have been blown to bits and people work til they drop.

I never said it was a great little country to live in, rather that it is still a massively influential country in world affairs. It is a massive nuclear power, sits on the UN security council, controls European gas supply, is consulted over the Middle East and also has no bother invading the sh*te out of other places in order to maintain its sphere of influence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Nemeses wrote: »

All men of drinking age are to muster at St James Gate, sink as many pints of the black stuff as they can and then, in the morning, fart in unison eastward.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Nemeses wrote: »

There's a weaponised nuke inside the Spire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Putin's been in a foul humour since he won the last election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    And arent we all originally fish that crawled out of the sea?

don't know, what's that got to do with the english language?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Except Mayo in two weeks time!

Boosh!

COYBIB

Hopefully...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What?

You do understand which country the actual English language comes from, right?
    that was years ago

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Gee Bag wrote: »
    A Russian offical at the G20 conference described Britain as 'A small island no one pays any attention to'.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/middle-east/cameron-forced-to-shrug-off-vladimir-putin-small-island-snub-over-syria-29557870.html

The Daily Mail's website appears to be on the verge of exploding.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2413595/David-Cameron-hits-Russias-gibe-Britain-just-small-island-pays-attention-to.html

So what say ye boardsies? Are the Brits right to be outraged or are they just upset because the truth hurts?

Of course the UK are listened to. The US are just deperate.

We must be tiny so :P

FTA69 wrote: »
    I never said it was a great little country to live in, rather that it is still a massively influential country in world affairs. It is a massive nuclear power, sits on the UN security council, controls European gas supply, is consulted over the Middle East and also has no bother invading the sh*te out of other places in order to maintain its sphere of influence.

My point would be that 60 years ago it was the USA's equal as a military and economic power; whereas today it most definitely is not......but it still behaves as if it is.

I wouldnt overestimate its energy resources as shale gas has changed the balance of supply.

But most importantly, you are right - it is in a position of power with a seat on the UN security council and a veto on world affairs. Just like France and Britain.

But unlike these countries, Russia is essentially a rogue state run and behaves as such, and therefore shouldnt be in that position.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

ONeill2013 wrote: »
    don't know, what's that got to do with the english language?

Good point but I think that poster means that its the US speak English, so the irony is that it originated (I presume) from britain

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Russia is like a rat with a gold tooth

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Very funny Vlad, wait til we ****ing nuke you you commie bastard, you won't think we're insignificant then.
    that would have the greatest answer of all time had it been a direct retort by the UK politician at the time of the exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Isn't English the 3rd most spoken language in the world?

And is the official language of airline industries?

That's important enough.

Someone, somewhere took notice of them.

It seems more appropriate to give credit to the US for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I fancy the arse off Putin.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Interesting what Vlad is doing though. Antagonising the uk as they are considering attacking their ally Syria. Syria are getting their asses used just so Vlad has an excuse to cause some serious damage

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

that would have the greatest answer of all time had it been a direct retort by the UK politician at the time of the exchange.

It would be worth it just to see Putin laugh his ass off at the very idea. They could virtually cripple Britain in a matter of days simply by recalling shipments of exported fuels. No big-man bluster about nukes required.

• Advertisement

Although possibly a bit more catastrophic than some gob****e on boards saying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Don't fcuk with the Russians.

It would be worth it just to see Putin laugh his ass off at the very idea. They could virtually cripple Britain in a matter of days simply by recalling shipments of exported fuels. No big-man bluster about nukes required.

Until London freezes his and all his oligarch mates bank accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Ok, maybe we'll hold off on the thermo intercontinental nuclear war for now then.

It does beg the question though, how many nukes does he have pointed at the small insignificant island.

Whatever, I live in Islington and we be nuclear free zone, Power to the Peeps and all that , mind your Hoxton is ****ed, who cares

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

UCDVet wrote: »
    It seems more appropriate to give credit to the US for that.

:confused: Why do you think they speak English in the first place?!

Giving countries credit over things is meaningless and totally pointless, but the hang ups some Irish people have with Britain is nuts, you see it all over the place on boards but also in Irish society in general, it's embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

He got a bit carried away claiming Britain brought down fascism in Europe, dont recall them having a hand in ending Franco's regime.

Also couldnt have chosen a worse country to try and inform who won WW2. Considering the Soviets bore by far the greatest damage of all the allies and did more of the heavy lifting in crushing the Nazis.

Cameron shouldnt have bothered replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

there is no confirmation that anyone connected to the Russians actually said this , its apparently doing the rounds at the G20 , so much ado about nothing and the Brits took the bait :rolleyes:

And it could be a cultural statement if it did happen , as Stalin ALWAYS referred to Britain and Ireland collectively as "The islands" , not sure if it was a slur or just as a geographical name that the soviets used

could be a throw back from then - either way the Brits should have been bigger than to respond the way the did - SUPER CRINGE :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Not particularly true but god dam it's hilarious. Putin's really putin in the boot to the Yanks and English since the Snowden affair. I love watching this. The outrage is classic, they're spitting teeth and incoherently stuttering the word dictator and gay rights in response over on reddit and other Murican sites.

Classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol, who cares

Advertisement