Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 stars

Options
  • 06-09-2013 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

What does it take to fill the fifth star with colour? My OCD is kicking in.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm pretty sure this has been said before, and there is no amount of posts that will grant ordinary users the 5th star. They are only for Admins and CMods in their respective colours. It may have changed recently, but that is my understanding anyhow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That_Guy wrote: »
    What does it take to fill the fifth star with colour? My OCD is kicking in.

Have a word with Dav about openings in HQ

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this has been said before, and there is no amount of posts that will grant ordinary users the 5th star. They are only for Admins and CMods in their respective colours. It may have changed recently, but that is my understanding anyhow.

And boards.ie employees with 5 blue stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

1 Blue - User after 5th post
    2 Blue - User after 100th post
    3 Blue - User after 500th post
    4 Blue - User after 10,000th post
    3 White - Hmod
    4 White - Mod
    5 White - CMod
    4 Red - Subs
    5 Yellow - Admin
    5 Light Blue - Employee

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Spear wrote: »
    And boards.ie employees with 5 blue stars.

For the purposes of it suiting my previous post, I'm going to pretend I covered them under the admin bracket, and didn't forget about them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ahh, I must be on emergency tax then. :pac:

/ uses wonga.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

3 White - Hmod
    4 White - Mod
    5 White - CMod
    4 Red - Subs
    5 Yellow - Admin
    5 Light Blue - Employee

You forgot 3 gold there... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

3 White - Hmod
    4 White - Mod
    5 White - CMod
    4 Red - Subs
    5 Yellow - Admin
    5 Light Blue - Employee

I have to wait 6.5k posts till I get a 4th star. :O Why did you have to set me this goal, curse you Ronan!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I have to wait 6.5k posts till I get a 4th star. :O Why did you have to set me this goal, curse you Ronan!

You have managed 3515 posts in 9 years. Therefore you should be receiving your fourth star sometime in 2029.

I think it is a ruse to get more subscribers. It is all about having more stars:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You have managed 3515 posts in 9 years. Therefore you should be receiving your fourth star sometime in 2029.

I think it is a ruse to get more subscribers. It is all about having more stars:D

Why do I have a slot for another star that will never be achieved? :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Rabies wrote: »
    Why do I have a slot for another star that will be be achieved? :(

To give you false hope, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Boards needs achievements.

Achievement Unlocked: "Welcome Newbie" signed up to site.Achievement Unlocked: "Feel the Gratitude" first thanks received.Achievement Unlocked: "I'm grateful" first thanks given.
    Achievement Unlocked: "Posterholic" Obtain a poster average of 30 post per day or greater..
    Achievement Unlocked: "Keeping things Private" First PM sent.
    Achievement Unlocked: "Secretive" 50 PMs sent.
    Acheivement Unlocked: "Censor's first steps." First post edited.
    Achievement Unlocked: "Let there be discussion!" Quoted somebody's post in a reply.
    Achievement Unlocked: "Now Y'er gaming." first post in the game category.
    Achievement Unlocked: "That's the Biz" first post in Biz Category.
    etc. etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That 5th grey star is being kept in reserve for Mike65...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I wonder if we're heading for another Y2K catastrophe* when Mike hits the six-figure mark?

* No actual catastrophe happened

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Dades wrote: »
    I wonder if we're heading for another Y2K catastrophe* when Mike hits the six-figure mark?

* No actual catastrophe happened

How much could we donate to SSF to reset his counter to 0 when it happens? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think 100k posts is probably worthy of a fifth grey star. Particularly in the new era of closed accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Jernal wrote: »
    Boards needs achievements.

Achievement Unlocked: "Welcome Newbie" signed up to site.Achievement Unlocked: "Feel the Gratitude" first thanks received.Achievement Unlocked: "I'm grateful" first thanks given.
    Achievement Unlocked: "Posterholic" Obtain a poster average of 30 post per day or greater..
    Achievement Unlocked: "Keeping things Private" First PM sent.
    Achievement Unlocked: "Secretive" 50 PMs sent.
    Acheivement Unlocked: "Censor's first steps." First post edited.
    Achievement Unlocked: "Let there be discussion!" Quoted somebody's post in a reply.
    Achievement Unlocked: "Now Y'er gaming." first post in the game category.
    Achievement Unlocked: "That's the Biz" first post in Biz Category.
    etc. etc.

Would you believe I have a similar list written down here in my notebook? :) I was thinking about it on Friday. I still don't know if it's a good idea or not though.

Dav wrote: »
    Would you believe I have a similar list written down here in my notebook? :) I was thinking about it on Friday. I still don't know if it's a good idea or not though.

Hmm, gamification then. I'm more than a little wary about what kind of behaviour this could prompt.

Yea, that's my biggest concern too - I remember the Karma Whoring that went on when we had that. I'm hesitant to try it without some serious consideration to the consequences and the last thing we'd need is people doing stuff just to get achievements and it ruining things.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think 100k posts is probably worthy of a fifth grey star. Particularly in the new era of closed accounts.

I love this idea. Can we? Pwease? Pwetty Pwease?

In my opinion it's a terrible idea. I intended it as satire, people should be posting/PM'ing/moddng because they're interested in doing so. NOT because they want to attain some virtual achievement marks. That'd be creating a faux community.

Jernal wrote: »
    In my opinion it's a terrible idea. I intended it as satire, people should be posting/PM'ing/moddng because they're interested in doing so. NOT because they want to attain some virtual achievement marks. That'd be creating a faux community.

It'd depend heavily on the nature of the "achievements". Some could be useful to help introduce people to new parts of the site, i.e. the post in Biz/Games cats.

Spear wrote: »
    It'd depend heavily on the nature of the "achievements". Some could be useful to help introduce people to new parts of the site, i.e. the post in Biz/Games cats.

Yeah but posting just to earn an achievement doesn't really seem a good way to get somebody involved in a discussion.

I was thinking about things like "successfully embedded an image" (it's amazing how many people don't seem to understand this) or "Post of the Day" - things like that that aren't necessarily open to "gaming" and are not necessarily the sort of thing you can "compete" to earn.

I was thinking about things like "successfully embedded an image" (it's amazing how many people don't seem to understand this) or "Post of the Day" - things like that that aren't necessarily open to "gaming" and are not necessarily the sort of thing you can "compete" to earn.

That actually sounds a reasonable idea. :) Need one for [latex]\LaTeX[/latex];)

That better be retroactive, or I'll be grumpy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Most of those posts were made in past 3 or 4 years. Rarely used the site up until then. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Most of those posts were made in past 3 or 4 years. Rarely used the site up until then. ;)
    I generally post from the touch site, which is just as well, because my OCD is going into overdrive with the missing 5th star. :o
    A 5th grey for over 25,000 (or 100,000!) posts at least gives something to strive for!

(I'd suggest they're changed back but that's giving me "waah, I hate the new homepage" flashbacks.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Yea, that's my biggest concern too - I remember the Karma Whoring that went on when we had that. I'm hesitant to try it without some serious consideration to the consequences and the last thing we'd need is people doing stuff just to get achievements and it ruining things.

thanks system is no different in the grand scheme of things

Advertisement