Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return to sender no longer allowed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nothing is being readdressed. I'm not liable to and hence absolutely not paying for returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

MYOB wrote: »
    Nothing is being readdressed. I'm not liable to and hence absolutely not paying for returning.

The letter has been delivered to the correct address, an post have completed their end of the bargain.

You (trying to do the right thing) want to send the letter back to the sender. Why should an post do it for free?

You are in effect re addressing it as it has already been delivered correctly and you want to send it somewhere else .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

How does Santa get his letters?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

trad wrote: »
    How does Santa get his letters?

Does Santa get his letters?!

cgarvey wrote: »
    Does Santa get his letters?!

Of course he does, just because you're bold don't blame it on the postie!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

mathepac wrote: »
    .... the individually named letter-boxes.
    Shelflife wrote: »
    Individually numbered boxes , but you already knew that....
    But I specified individually named boxes, boxes which are not numbered.

But I specified individually named boxes, boxes which are not numbered.

Ok they deliver to a specified address , that can be 1 toytown or joe blogs house beside the shop in toytown . If you send a letter to joe blogs toytown there's a fair chance that it won't be delivered unless that's the only joe blogs in toytown and is known to the postie.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

For the last 6/7 years I've been returning mail addressed to my former partner delivered to my home. This year in utter frustration I rang the company identified by the "return to" address on the envelope.

I was told that they had no record of mail I re-directed being returned to them EVER! So I suppose An Post use the big roundy file for this stuff.

I used to get a lot of mail for the previous owners of my house, but they had left their new address so I used to forward on the mail to them. After a while I mislaid the address, but at that point the only mail that continued to arrive for them were holiday brochures (presumably from some firm they'd previously booked a holiday with). As it was only brochures I didn't feel too bad about not forwarding them on, but I did get fed up with the company continuing to send them. After a while I started to put "Not at this address - Return to sender" on them. They stopped arriving very shortly afterwards, so I assume that they avoided the big roundy file and were actually returned to the sender.

The letter has been delivered to the correct address, an post have completed their end of the bargain.

You (trying to do the right thing) want to send the letter back to the sender. Why should an post do it for free?

You are in effect re addressing it as it has already been delivered correctly and you want to send it somewhere else .

Return to sender does not equal redressing. Never has, never will. Suggest you check An Posts obligations under their USO.

MYOB wrote: »
    Return to sender does not equal redressing. Never has, never will. Suggest you check An Posts obligations under their USO.

A link would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

An Post's structure and USO are defined in the Postal and Telecommunications Services Act 1983 (as amended) and the European Communities (Postal Services) Regulations 2002 which is a transpositon of EC67/97. These state An Post's (or any other USO operator, if we ever get another) requirements on how handle post which cannot be delivered to the addressee. Fecking a letter in a letterbox at a given address does not mean it has been delivered to addressee.

The person to whom it has been delivered but not addressed is legally forbidden from opening it or destroying it. Their only legal course of action is to return it to An Post who are hence made aware it has not been delivered to the addressee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A link would be appreciated.

Not every statute or business SLA is posted online!

Not every statute or business SLA is posted online!

This is true, but in previous topics when I posted figures or rules or laws I was told that it was the accepted norm to back it up with a link or where it could be found.

It also wasn't a glib remark, it was a polite request.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Legislative inks posted have been superseded by the Communications Regulation (Postal Services) Act 2012 - trust me, I knowwhat I'm talking about.

An Post's obligation is to deliver to the ADDRESS not the person named.

RTS goes to special centre in Limerick (usually) where it is held, and streamed. This can take some time.

The issue arises that items now that are not sent through An POst, of which some bank statements are etc., get delayed as well there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Legislative inks posted have been superseded by the Communications Regulation (Postal Services) Act 2012 - trust me, I knowwhat I'm talking about. Check the comreg website for the link or irishstatutebook.ie - it's Act No 21, transpansng Directive 2008/6/EC

An Post's obligation is to deliver to the ADDRESS not the person named.

RTS goes to special centre in Limerick (usually) where it is held, and streamed. This can take some time.

The issue arises that items now that are not sent through An POst, of which some bank statements are etc., get delayed as well there

Advertisement