Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which hedging to use

• 06-09-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

100_2917.JPG

100_3080.JPG

100_3085.JPG

100_3096.JPG

I am in the process of preparing the ground for bareroot hedging next jan /feb .The main purpose will be to offer wind shelter to the patio area and perennial/scrub beds enclosed . The site is exposed and has an immature native hedge to the southern boundary set last spring . At the moment i am deciding between a whitethorn clipped hedge with some specimen paul's scarlett as trees with dog rose/canna and other hedging varietys set through .This would be on the east /west southern bed.(3rd/4th) photos. On the north/south western bed (1st/2nd photos). i am considering green privet . I wouldn't mind lonerica nitida but it may be too windy.

Would mixing the hedge types be a mistake as in should i go with one type through out for both hedges.

This is where i am after speaking with some Horticulturists and new ideas welcome .

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

bakerbhoy wrote: »
    100_2917.JPG

100_3080.JPG

100_3085.JPG

100_3096.JPG

I am in the process of preparing the ground for bareroot hedging next jan /feb .The main purpose will be to offer wind shelter to the patio area and perennial/scrub beds enclosed . The site is exposed and has an immature native hedge to the southern boundary set last spring . At the moment i am deciding between a whitethorn clipped hedge with some specimen paul's scarlett as trees with dog rose/canna and other hedging varietys set through .This would be on the east /west southern bed.(3rd/4th) photos. On the north/south western bed (1st/2nd photos). i am considering green privet . I wouldn't mind lonerica nitida but it may be too windy.

Would mixing the hedge types be a mistake as in should i go with one type through out for both hedges.

This is where i am after speaking with some Horticulturists and new ideas welcome .

Thanks

Sounds like you know what you are talking about and know what you want, it basically comes down to personal preference, so TBH nothing's ever really a mistake (bar leylandii and even then it has it's uses).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Thanks for the reply . I have done the research and asked a lot of questions but lack the experience (hedges) and as this is an ongoing project on a large scale, mistakes can be expensive both in time and cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'm in the same boat bakerbhoy. I'm planning on plantling laurel for privacy. I will plant bear root 1-2ft high as its reasonably fast growing.
    I hope to plant red robin to cut the lawn from the vegtable garden. Its a nice colour hedge but can get "bushy".
    I'm like beech hedging but its just too slow growing.

We had a privet hedge at home, it took regular trimming to keep in shape.
    I hope to plant laurel & red robin the end of sept & november this year so it'll have a good start in the spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

bakerbhoy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply . I have done the research and asked a lot of questions but lack the experience (hedges) and as this is an ongoing project on a large scale, mistakes can be expensive both in time and cash.
    I like your selection of plants although I'm not sure how the dog rose will work with the other two while they are getting established, the dog rose maybe too vigourous.
    Some one else may know better or have personal experience of using dog rose.
    RKQ wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat bakerbhoy. I'm planning on plantling laurel for privacy. I will plant bear root 1-2ft high as its reasonably fast growing.
    I hope to plant red robin to cut the lawn from the vegtable garden. Its a nice colour hedge but can get "bushy".
    I'm like beech hedging but its just too slow growing.

We had a privet hedge at home, it took regular trimming to keep in shape.
    I hope to plant laurel & red robin the end of sept & november this year so it'll have a good start in the spring.
    There's always a trade off with hedging, while the beech is slower growing it also requires less pruning and looks way better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

david-k wrote: »
    Some one else may know better or have personal experience of using dog rose.
    picked up pack of dog rose in Lidl early springtime-they were 20cm plants-have grown by 1m since then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭bro'

Sticking with a native hedge I am on an exposed site and have Hornbeam. Planted 6/linear metre on two rows staggered and results is thick faster hedge development. Happy with mine which is dense and solid at a controlled 6ft height.
    Red robin is also another lovely hedging but requires trim management'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'm interested in planting Hornbeam. I'd be interested in any tips, photos of mature hornbeam and good suppliers etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I'm interested in planting Hornbeam. I'd be interested in any tips, photos of mature hornbeam and good suppliers etc.

We planted bareroot hornbeam 3 years ago.

Bought the bareroot hornbeam from www.hedges.ie (aka PJ Larkon & Sons) in Roscommon.

We dug/mixed in fresh compost,manure,grit and added a handfull of fertilizer pellets into the soil around each bareroot
    Planted them (roughly 4 per meter in our case) in a staggered row and then cut/pruned them back by a third.

Didnt lose a single one and have a nice full 5 foot tall hedgerow now.......we will keep it at 6 feet tall when it gets to 6 feet in height next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

Here's a good resource on the topic:
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about204.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭bro'

Recent pic ... Got bare root plants from local garden centre, from my limited experience early maintenance care is crucial and watering. I also trimmed them by third at planting and also after first year to bush out at bottom. Also put 'drip hose along length which made watering far easier and more effective in early years until well established.

• Advertisement
Advertisement