Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scared of neighbour's dog!

2»

Comments

Cat can't knock my bedroom door open, the bigger dogs could. One of the dogs here could too. I am aware of this. Kept dogs, cats and birds together my whole life.

It's the issue that the dog is not being disciplined that worries me. But also me and another housemate agree that a dominant dog should not be brought into a house that belongs to a teeny tiny little male dog already. This is Milo's house!

The pitbull leaps at the front door and snarls and gets uppity, I don't want to come home drunk (or sober!) and encounter a defensive pitbull who doesn't know me, in my home.

zenno wrote: »
    The real problem is assholes that use them as fighting dogs, if you treat any dog badly, the dog can turn bad, it's the people that do this that i'm more worried about, not the dog.

See, I don't actually know how my neighbour is treating the dog. If it lived in my house, maybe I'd get to understand and trust it, but I don't know, and it was ripping my kitchen apart earlier, so I'd say he's not so strict with it. That's what worries me, and my housemate. Big dogs need a strict owner. Saying this as someone who grew up with Labs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

For anyone that wants to really understand this breed of dog, then i'd suggest you study this breed from any good website that knows and deals professionally with these dogs, google is your friend/not, you will learn the real information there.

People that never spent time with these dogs for long periods of time will not know anything about them, so study the information in relation to the breed and you will understand the real deal with these dogs, it's only a click away ;)

See, I don't actually know how my neighbour is treating the dog. If it lived in my house, maybe I'd get to understand and trust it, but I don't know, and it was ripping my kitchen apart earlier, so I'd say he's not so strict with it. That's what worries me, and my housemate. Big dogs need a strict owner. Saying this as someone who grew up with Labs.

Well his owner should have brought the dogs heavy marrow bone with him because they need to bite on something strong to keep their teeth from nagging them. If this owner done this you would not have a problem with the dog as it would be happy rolling around biting on that bone for ages.

From my experience from day one around all kinds of dogs, i had more problems with german shepherd dogs biting people than this breed we are talking about.

I looked it up, and the results were not so good, saying that with discipline these dogs are great pets. DISCIPLINE. Did not see any evidence of this when the pitbull was in my house. For the record I feel the same about any dog without discipline. It scares us how strong this dog is, and how he turns so suddenly when he hears someone at the front door. He doesn't know me our my housemates so what's to stop him chasing us away?

• Advertisement

I looked it up, and the results were not so good, saying that with discipline these dogs are great pets. DISCIPLINE. Did not see any evidence of this when the pitbull was in my house. For the record I feel the same about any dog without discipline. It scares us how strong this dog is, and how he turns so suddenly when he hears someone at the front door. He doesn't know me our my housemates so what's to stop him chasing us away?

They are very powerful indeed, that goes without saying. I see you're point though in regards to his master not having full control of this dog, you have to train them just like any dog, and if a person cannot do this from the day they receive one as a pup, then they should not be left in charge with the dog.

Unfortunately there are people out there that just buy these dogs to make themselves look hard which is true to an extent but in saying this, there are many folk out there that train their dogs like this very well and these are the folk that have intelligence and already know a lot about this breed and how to train them.

You live there, so it is up to you in whether you want the dog in your home or not, if you don't, then say it to the owner, problem solved. Training is the key. Train the owner of the dog if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please get your facts right. There are no dangerous breeds in Ireland!!

When will people stop posting such crap without knowing the facts and the law. It's getting very tiresome at this stage correcting people all the time!!

andreac wrote: »

When will people stop posting such crap without knowing the facts and the law. It's getting very tiresome at this stage correcting people all the time!!

Even the law doesn't know a thing about these breed of dogs strangely enough. In their eye's, if it looks vicious, then it must attack and kill people or bite them lol. The whole fecking country needs to be educated as well as the law. Educating the so-called teacher politicians should be the first priority, brainless shower indeed.

One particular experience i had with a friends dog of which was 3 years old, a Staffordshire bull terrier, training in progress... i walked into my friends bedroom and laid back against the wall, and this feller jumps on the bed then jumps onto my lap and starts licking my neck with passion for 1 minute and he then chilled out and snuggled into my stomach while on my lap, not a bother from this dog, very friendly considering i only saw this dog twice.

Why is it pits keep hitting the news for killing people and other breeds not so much?

Don't blame the media.

If it was an Aller, I'd feel the same. I'd be more afraid of a Rottie than a Pit. Stands that this dog does not like people coming to MY front door, where he does not live, but he doesn't know me - chances are he'd attack me?

I don't want to take that chance. We don't want the dog in the house, and we live here. The end. The dog is not welcome.

andreac wrote: »

Why do his papers say he's a Staffie when his owner admits he's a fullbred American Pit?

Because they're harder to get into the country is why.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I don't want to take that chance. We don't want the dog in the house, and we live here. The end. The dog is not welcome.

You've ended your own thread with that statement Budgese. As andreac has said we are "tired and bored" of repeating the same thing over and over and over again. We shouldn't be but we are. So yet again.....

There is NO SUCH THING as a "dangerous dog" in this country. There is what is called, for the umpteenth time a Restricted Breed List , It doesn't seem like anything we say will convince you otherwise.

If you are uncomfortable for whatever reason in your home, then talk to your housemates. The dog has done nothing wrong except having an irresponsible owner. The dog will ALWAYS get the blame unfortunately.

I hope you come to realise in the future, that the expression "don't judge a book by it's cover" will hit home with you and that you learn to speak up to the people that are putting you in a situation you are not happy with.

Thread closed as genuinely there is nothing more we can offer you here advice wise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement