Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas to revive Naas Main Street

Options
  • 06-09-2013 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

After being away from the town for a while i was disappointed on my return recently with the various shop closures.

Is there any effort being made by the town council/ local people/ business community to sort this out?

We can blame Tesco/Recession/competition from Dublin and Newbridge etc I don't want this thread to get into that.

I would like Naas people to share some ideas on how we can improve the centre of our town. Ill start.

1: Scrap pay parking altogether. Its killing the town.

2: Pedestrianise the main street from Nolans butchers up to the town hall. Making it similar to Waterford/ Galway City Centres. Put in a few benches/fountains/flowers etc

3: Town council as a matter of urgency reduce rates. TDs encourage landlords to reduce rents etc.

Anyone else have a few ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

2 would actually kill the town centre stone dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

Why do you say pay parking is killing the town? Any evidence of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

As long as that beast in monread is there its going to be hard to revive the Town itself. Pedestrianization of main street would be a bad idea would drive more people away. They Tried that in Sligo and a few years later had to allow traffic back down street because it failed. The New Penny's store needs to be finished for one or have areas of the town designated quarters ( Historic Quarter etc.. Entertainment Quater) . Naas has alot of History and some fine buildings along the main street such as the town hall maybe market them and tourism. Shopping maybe work on the boutiques always known Naas for its Boutiques or people mentioning them ( Not going to be in recession forever) So when the next up time comes A boutique quarter could be up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mynamehere

Its obvious pay parking is killing the town. Look at the empty units. Why would u park in the town centre when u can drive out to tesco or the retail parks and park for free. I know thats what most people i know in naas do now.

Any ideas folks??

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

Its impossible to park in Naas. Kildare town isn't far behind. Being harrassed, bullied and hassled by parking wardens puts me off going near the town when I'm there. I don't live in Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Its obvious pay parking is killing the town.

That's just anecdote/conjecture. To say something is obvious does not make it true or correct. So a little meat to your argument in terms of fact would be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

hansfrei wrote: »
    Its impossible to park in Naas. Kildare town isn't far behind. Being harrassed, bullied and hassled by parking wardens puts me off going near the town when I'm there. I don't live in Kildare.

How is it impossible to park in Naas? There are spaces available in both private car parks and public car parks and on street at all times. If on street is full, the car parks are never full. The Town Centre car park near Church is never full.

It's a symptom of the closure of units = less demand = more spaces available.

Mynamehere wrote: »
    Its obvious pay parking is killing the town. Look at the empty units. Why would u park in the town centre when u can drive out to tesco or the retail parks and park for free. I know thats what most people i know in naas do now.

Any ideas folks??

This issue has been discussed before and posters have agreed to disagree.

The closure of businesses is what is killing the town. Rent and rates probably top the list of issues influences business in the town.

No-one can accurately say that the only reason I went to tesco extra was the €1 parking charge in Naas. The parking in tesco in Naas is free for shoppers in tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

HonalD wrote: »
    How is it impossible to park in Naas? There are spaces available in both private car parks and public car parks and on street at all times. If on street is full, the car parks are never full. The Town Centre car park near Church is never full.

It's a symptom of the closure of units = less demand = more spaces available.

I don't live in Kildare. I'm in Naas five times a year maybe. Most of the time its for less than half an hour. Make a lodgement, have a coffee, meet up with relatives. More and more I can't do do that. I don't want to park in a multistory so I can spend 5 mins in a bank.

If Naas wants to miss opportunities and passing trade, they're doing a fine job.

Ok ill change my wording. Due to difficulties in parking and parking charges, less people from the town and surrounding areas are venturing into the town centre to spend their cash. As a result businesses are closing.

For my family and people i know living in naas, the town centre is somewhere you go for a meal or a couple of pints at the weekend and not a place you shop.

But thats not the point of this thread.

Any more ideas folks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BuffyBot wrote: »
    That's just anecdote/conjecture. To say something is obvious does not make it true or correct. So a little meat to your argument in terms of fact would be useful.

There's very few examples of any town taking away pay parking, mainly as councils get addicted to the revenue; but there's plenty of examples in Kildare alone of pay parking damaging retail sales after introduction. Leixlip being one of them - and it doesn't have an out of town centre to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Bulmers on Ice

I think the first hour of parking should be free, The rates that traders have to pay is killing the small business in the town. A few years ago you couldn't move in Naas but see a place doing carvery, nowadays you can't move for coffee shops. When that fashion trend fades what will happen? If only the shopping Centre had finished at least it would have created foot traffic for the town. If Penneys had gone ahead with the plan for the old Superquinn site it would have helped also. The town tried to run a food festival not so long ago where various restaurants etc were doing deals and exhibitions. I live in the town and heard nothing about it. One of the events was in Monedello Park, That's Caragh not Naas so that was a bit strange and again was aimed at a small select community. Naas should advertise itself better. Punchestown racing takes place each year and Naas used to have a festival, Now Punchestown takes place and the town does nothing. There are various markets during xmas etc and again unless you happen to pass you don't know they are on. Naas has the Curragh racecourse, Punchestown, Mondello and a corridor for people heading to Dublin for matches etc and should make the most of it's location but doesn't. Personally I think the rates are killing the town one shop at a time and needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

I think the first hour of parking should be free, The rates that traders have to pay is killing the small business in the town. des what will happen? .....Personally I think the rates are killing the town one shop at a time and needs to be addressed.

This is the same throughout the country . We keep shouting rip off ireland about trader prices here but if we continue to charge insane rates on top of high rent then how will any business reduce it's prices.

I got a bill by mistake to my home address for rates relating to a business in beside smyths. I do not own or work in any if those but the charge for the year was €26,000. In short they have to make over €2000 profit after rent, wages, heating and lighting , insurance each month just to pay this tax.

The country is on it's knees and we are paying to keep the county council monoliths afloat .

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

This goes for most towns in the same boat.
    Rents and rates for shops in towns have to drastically reduce as they can't compete with the big out of town shopping centres. Laziness is another factor as it's less effort to get in and out of the shopping centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

What about the 'shopping centre'? I know its only a shell and I think it's in Nama's hands but surely there is potential for it to be finished and opened at relatively cheap costs. This would bring the town centre back to life with a bang I think. But probably not cost effective I suppose..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

We need something in where Superquinn was and I mean a shop that will draw crowds. Ideally Superquinn again or a Marks and Spencers but I know that won't happen. There is absolutely no way to compete with the Tesco in Monread so the town would be at nothing trying it. I really don't know but its terribly sad to see the town die on its arse. The only time I ever go in now is to drink or to get Chinese from the Peony Court (which is amazing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

It is sad, and now that the credit union is gone to Monread, and Tesco customer services have a limited post office counter, it's another nail in the coffin for the town.

Parking definitely puts people off. It's a fact. Friends simply state that Tesco is handier when we arrange to meet for a coffee. I really don't know what can undo the damage. Pennys would be a big help if they got it together and developed the Superquinn site.

Also, a town-wide voucher system might be a good idea. Heavily promote it for the Christmas present market and then reap the rewards in January. One voucher, can be spent anywhere. I'm not sure how it could be organised.

Businesses working together is key. One of the pubs in Sallins has a dinner deal which includes a cinema ticket. Restaurants and cafes in Naas could follow suit. Could shops offer coffee vouchers with purchases over €20?

I'm just babbling here, but I hate to see the town headed this way.

Dun Laoghaire have been putting in a big effort to emphasise what they can offer that big shopping centres can't. Could Naas do the same? Heavily promote the Historic walking trail, with an incentive to have lunch afterwards. Very few know about the story telling for children each Sunday in Barker and Jones.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/dún-laoghaire-searches-for-ways-to-weather-the-storm-as-recession-bites-1.1488873

When did the credit union move?

Sometimes i find myself even going to blessington to do a few arrands.Dunnes and the bank etc Very easy town to find a space and its free. Very busy little town. Seems to be benefiting from free parking and low rents and rates. Pitty when a place with 4 times less people living in it than Naad can hold onto its businesses on its main street and Naas cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It hasn't. It has now opened a second office at the Monread Centre.

sadie06 wrote: »
    It is sad, and now that the credit union is gone to Monread, and Tesco customer services have a limited post office counter, it's another nail in the coffin for the town.

Parking definitely puts people off. It's a fact. Friends simply state that Tesco is handier when we arrange to meet for a coffee. I really don't know what can undo the damage. Pennys would be a big help if they got it together and developed the Superquinn site.

Also, a town-wide voucher system might be a good idea. Heavily promote it for the Christmas present market and then reap the rewards in January. One voucher, can be spent anywhere. I'm not sure how it could be organised.

Businesses working together is key. One of the pubs in Sallins has a dinner deal which includes a cinema ticket. Restaurants and cafes in Naas could follow suit. Could shops offer coffee vouchers with purchases over €20?

I'm just babbling here, but I hate to see the town headed this way.

Dun Laoghaire have been putting in a big effort to emphasise what they can offer that big shopping centres can't. Could Naas do the same? Heavily promote the Historic walking trail, with an incentive to have lunch afterwards. Very few know about the story telling for children each Sunday in Barker and Jones.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/dún-laoghaire-searches-for-ways-to-weather-the-storm-as-recession-bites-1.1488873

My understanding is that movie deals are available at some restaurants and that also special prices/menus for evenings are being promoted.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote: »
    It hasn't. It has now opened a second office at the Monread Centre.

Thanks, I did not know this!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Tenors have that meal and a movie thing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

To lay the blame totally at parking fees and rates is a lazy accusation. True, these things might have some impact in quiet times, but they were there in the good times and everyone was busy making money.

Every town in Ireland (and the UK) is undergoing the same challenges. Shopping has changed- the internet has made the need to go to a shop almost redundant for many people. Planning decisions in Naas have not helped by creating a mini-town near the greatest population concentration.

In Germany, which I visit regularly, the emphasis on good customer service means that the high street continues to do well there. If you have a problem with an item, the shop will do everything to get it sorted to your satisfaction. That does not happen here in my experience- once they have your money they don't want to know. Shop owners (and their employees) lack of knowledge/interest in their products are a huge factor in the rate of retail failure as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 O hEidirsceoil

It will take many years to undo what damage was done to naas town, its lopsided residential development, lack of community, and of course the white elephant. The only positive action in my mind is to try an restore what little historic value remains in the town. Unfortunately, everything that can be bought does so well away from the main st in retail parks and it is unlikely that can ever be reversed. Invigorating the main st with some local heritage and pride is all that can be done to save what is left of the street/town. That being said, of course local rates and parking come into play and are a big issue but how many people realistically are going to buy in gouldings instead of the half dozen hardware stores surrounding naas or buy in donegans instead of the electrical retail park stores because of parking fees. Make the town a nice place to visit and to be in for a couple of hours, buy a coffee and learn a bit of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

speaking with my wife about this last night, she said its the hassle of paying for parking that keeps her out of the town and has her doing all her shopping at the Tesco extra. She said what would be great, is that when the kids are in school, that the town provides maybe 2-3hrs free parking so the moms can do their shopping. SHe said she would prefer to shop in the town as there is more of a buzz to it but the hassle for parking to pay is just not enticing her in

My own opinion on the image and look of the town is the way its painted...every 2nd shop/unit are different colours and it can look shabby particularly when some units just havent painted in yrs. There should be at least a ban on some outrageous colours for painting shop fronts in the town. And at least some thought put into what colours are chosen. Kavanaghs looks really well lately in the green & black with the red door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Pay parking in a town is sadly a must unless there is plenty of off street parking available for free. Before they brought in pay parking in Celbridge it was nearly impossible to get parking on the Main St due to all day and night parking. Since pay parking was brought in during 2007 it is much easier to get a spot on the Main St as people are not doing all day parking. Getting a ticket is a small job as there are plenty of meters around and cost is 1 Euro per hour. Pay parking is from 10am to 4pm Mon - Fri.
    As regards out of character gaudy colour schemes on shop fronts, banners and improper signage there are clear guidelines and rules laid out by Kildare County Council as to what is allowed and not, any breaches can be reported by submitting a filled out Unauthorised Development form to KCC. County Councils in Ireland are not inclined to police unauthorised developments or those not following planning permissions to the letter, they usually wait for the public to make a formal complaint first.
    Towns used to be a bigger draw when the drink driving laws were less of an issue, the man could relax over a drink or two while herself and maybe the children did the shopping. Times have changed and now the law, safety and cost of drink are limiting factors.
    Like it or not there is an extra attraction in the big shopping centres especially when the weather is not nice which is at least for 6 months in this part of the world.
    Whatever ideas people come up with for reviving Naas Main St. will go for most towns around as the out of town shopping centres are not going away.

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    speaking with my wife about this last night, she said its the hassle of paying for parking that keeps her out of the town and has her doing all her shopping at the Tesco extra. She said what would be great, is that when the kids are in school, that the town provides maybe 2-3hrs free parking so the moms can do their shopping. SHe said she would prefer to shop in the town as there is more of a buzz to it but the hassle for parking to pay is just not enticing her in.

Sorry Lex, I don't mean to be smart but having free parking for 3 hours of shopping in Naas is a bizarre thought. Parking is free in Tesco in the town for one hour provided you buy something there. That incentive is appealing to anyone who wants to do a quick shop with free parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

I live in Sallins.
    From what I see , it simply natural progression.

People want better deals that the town center cannot provide.

Problem 1. Nowhere to park, parking charges, and heavy traffic keep me from going there.

The council should Allow free parking with a 3 hour time limit. The same as the Monread center. They need a good car park big enough to work. They need to try and get traffic flowing freely . Somehow?

Problem 2. Why go to Naas?

This is the real problem. There is no major retailers . We have great shops like Nolans and that little discount shop. but why on earth would one want to shop there. Shop for what? Small womens boutiques which don't do well as woman prefer better labels and biggers stores as far as I can see. Banks and pubs. Thats it. Both of which do extremely well in Naas town.

I honestly think Naas and its town folk should be embracing the Monread center instead of blaming it. We are attracting people from all over the county because it it. If Naas town could use its imagination and think of a way to attract tourists and the Tesco traffic up the road a bit after their shop.
    Maybe pedestrian only zones that are pleasant to walk on without dealing with traffic. More street art and a proper budget to attract tourism. There is nowhere to eat in the monread center. As good a reason as any to go into town to a restaurant . Maybe offer deals to Tesco customers to come up for a bit of grub.

One thing's for sure. Parking is only the tip of the problem and unless there is major work done. Its going to die off. The council need to think outside the box this time. And spend money on development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

HonalD wrote: »
    Sorry Lex, I don't mean to be smart but having free parking for 3 hours of shopping in Naas is a bizarre thought. Parking is free in Tesco in the town for one hour provided you buy something there. That incentive is appealing to anyone who wants to do a quick shop with free parking.

you're not being smart, I'm just relaying her views and views of other mothers who live in Naas and this is what they think

1hr may not be enough, like I said, she would like to see 2-3hrs for a specific period during the week. And maybe she doesnt want to buy anything in Tesco to get her free parking...just go into town and have a coffee somewhere different

Advertisement