Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bank for a new startup

• 06-09-2013 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,
    I am in the early stages of setting up my business and am at the point of looking for the best bank to do business with. BOI/AIB & UB offer very similar Business Startup packages so it will come down to what they will be charging after the initial 24 month free banking period & how others find them to deal with.

I will be doing business with suppliers & customers in £ & $ so I am wondering if anyone has any advice on which bank would be the best one to go with in terms of fees for this type of transactions? So far I have used Paypal to test the waters but I pay a bank fee & also the Paypal fee so its time to make the leap to a Business Account.

Also I have a Mac which, from reading other threads, would appear to be an issue for online Business banking with BOI. Open to correction on this.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Regarding fees, simply print out the charge tables of all three and compare. Easy.

Personally, I would choose AIB regardless of fees. UB, just don't do it under any circumstances. I worked for them for a period and they are an incredibly poorly run company.

Bank of Ireland are ok'ish, but their online system is really poor.

AIB have a very user friendly online system, and it makes doing business so much easier, and I personally wouldn't look anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I agree with the other poster. AIB is incredible professional. I have used them for 3 years and don't have a single bad thing to say about ( some of the tellers have serious attitude problems, but it's the same in all banks). Their online banking is good for businesses. A lot of branches have machines to lodge cheques. Meaning you can do lodgements 8am - 8 pm in most branches Monday - Sunday.

BOI I have an account. And they are a disaster. No two staff can tell you the same thing about the same issue. They don't have the good in branch machines like aib. Plus their online banking is like a web page from 1995.

Ulster bank are gradually leaving Irish as far as I know. So don't even consider them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

BOI recently changed their free banking for startups from 2 years to 1 year.
    their online business banking offering is very poor also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

hfallada wrote: »
    I agree with the other poster. AIB is incredible professional. I have used them for 3 years and don't have a single bad thing to say about ( some of the tellers have serious attitude problems, but it's the same in all banks). Their online banking is good for businesses. A lot of branches have machines to lodge cheques. Meaning you can do lodgements 8am - 8 pm in most branches Monday - Sunday.

BOI I have an account. And they are a disaster. No two staff can tell you the same thing about the same issue. They don't have the good in branch machines like aib. Plus their online banking is like a web page from 1995.

Ulster bank are gradually leaving Irish as far as I know. So don't even consider them.

I didn't know this. Just after applying online for an UB current account. I intend to use it as a business account i.e. keep my AIB current a/c for my personal spending and UB for my online store transactions etc.

Maybe I should reconsider?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Think it's better if I choose another bank.

Anyone any experience with Danske Bank?

KBC are now offering current accounts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement