Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Live - The TV Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Well that was better than I expected, I really enjoyed it and I was surprised how quickly 11.30 crept up. My favourite part was the O'Gara interview, Eoin McDevitt is an excellent interviewer and the whole interview just flowed nicely, you could still see the hurt in O'Gara's eyes from being dropped by Declan Kidney. There were probably too many gimmicky things for my liking, if they could curtail those items and have more in depth interviews and opinioned analysis I feel it would work better. Also they did not really deal with live sporting issues but I would imagine that will come in other episodes. For example a full post mortem of the Ire Aus game, analysis of the Cork Clare game or a Heineken Cup discussion would have gone down brilliantly in my eyes. But that aside I really am looking forward to next week as this type of program was badly needed in Ireland as we love nothing more in this country than talking sport.

See, the problem with them analysing the Ireland game would be that Bill, Dunphy, Giles and Brady spent an hour doing it before hand. I don't think serious analysis of games fits in at all while they're on directly after games (be it Champions League or Internationals).

I think the current format works better, just being something to watch after the game is over for a bit of a laugh and an interview or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

FearDark wrote: »
    I'll be uploading it to YT during the week.

Good man. Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    See, the problem with them analysing the Ireland game would be that Bill, Dunphy, Giles and Brady spent an hour doing it before hand. I don't think serious analysis of games fits in at all while they're on directly after games (be it Champions League or Internationals).

I think the current format works better, just being something to watch after the game is over for a bit of a laugh and an interview or two.

Agree there should be laughs and it's a fair point you make about the Ire Aus would have been already analysed by Giles, Dunphy etc. However I would have loved to hear Ken's take on the game and also I love hearing what guests from other sports think as well it gives it a different perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Agree there should be laughs and it's a fair point you make about the Ire Aus would have been already analysed by Giles, Dunphy etc. However I would have loved to hear Ken's take on the game and also I love hearing what guests from other sports think as well it gives it a different perspective.

I agree with you but you will hear an in depth analysis on the match from Ken tomorrow from at 18:00!

As with the podcast it's impossible to please everyone. I think they balanced it as well as they could have hoped for! The Second captains podcast will deal with the in depth analysis, the Live shows will be more light hearted. That's the way it always was for the outside broadcasts on Off the ball?

Deedsie wrote: »
    I agree with you but you will hear an in depth analysis on the match from Ken tomorrow from at 18:00!

As with the podcast it's impossible to please everyone. I think they balanced it as well as they could have hoped for! The Second captains podcast will deal with the in depth analysis, the Live shows will be more light hearted. That's the way it always was for the outside broadcasts on Off the ball?

You are correct you cannot please everybody, I am just happy it's on TV there was a massive need for this type of program on Irish TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Watched it last night, and have to say i thought it was fairly poor. Im a huge fan of the lads since OTB and listen to 2nd captains religously, but it just didnt work for me at all. Where to start....

The set as previously mentioned was awful, was like a cross between Podge and Rodge, fantasy football and Top Gear.

It didnt really have a correct format or genre, jumping from being a jovial light hearted show one minute then trying to have serious interviews two minutes later just didnt work for me.

The guests were poor, Oisin Mconville and Derval O'Rourke were awful , brought nothing to the table. Richie Sadlier was decent enough, Rodge wasnt too bad but he was slightly within himself compared to other interviews ive heard him do, maybe its down to the cameras etc.

There was a lot of filler moments, the quiz, the top 10 irish sportstars, the stock footage with bill, eamonn etc that has been seen a million times before.

Ken Early.. Normally Ken is brilliant on the radio, i love his little rants and analogys but he was irrelevant lastnight, never really contributed and just looked pure awkward on camera.

The audience just standing around drinking was a bit off putting aswell. Its like they tried to get the "roadshow radio" type atmosphere going but again, didnt come across well on camera.

Im hoping that it was just first show nerves and that going forward it will be sharper and better produced. McDevitt was the one who was the one who just about held it together and stopped it delving into the farcical, his interview with Rodge and Sadlier were the highlights for me. I will give it another watch next week but vast imrpovements are needed IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭browne_rob5

jr22 wrote: »
    Just sent you a PM regarding watching the show from abroad.

Could you pm me too please?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jr22

Could you pm me too please?

Thanks

PM sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Always enjoyed the OTB lads on Newstalk and haven't listened to it much since they left.

RTE need a good sports talk show like this. I watch so little of what is on RTE outside of their sports coverage so I'm glad they have given this show a go.

Eoin and Murph can carry the show and maybe a 5/10 minute chat with Ken (sitting at the bar?) would best utilise him. He can do any soccer interviews as well with Eoin.

I enjoyed it, it has more potential and what exactly is it replacing or would replace it? Craig Doyle or some other 'live' show with an audience.

I think it should get a clear run up until Xmas. Let them develop the format, see which bits work best, let them settle into this role ect ect.

Maybe I was already converted before the show even started but I can't for the life of me see RTE being able to pull off a show like this with their 'in house' talent and for that alone the Second Captains deserve a lot of credit. (2 of the 3 presenters basically making their tv debut live last night?)

Can only see this show getting better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

Good show. Basically a sports chat show which is a nice idea so we can see various top Irish sports people (of whom there are plenty) rather than Z-list reality TV celebs. But I do think they need at least 15 minutes of topical discussion be it the match or the All-Ireland.

Im always happy when something on RTE doesn't make me embarrased to be Irish ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Pretty good. Got what I was expecting, but was sure Ken Earley would have picked an obscure post rock or shoegaze band instead of the buff lads. O Gara's was a good interview. Maybe only have one or two guests on, and get more out of them? For example, Dervla or Sadlier could have had more to say, but I guess you can't fit it all in. Maybe they could have additional interviews online that wouldn't make the show?
    Saying that, they go more in depth on their podcasts. Murph looks way different than I thought he would...

Ken Earley will get to present The View ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Huge fan of the lads for years and really enjoy the podcasts as Second Captains.

Enjoyed the show last night. Felt a little rushed in places with too many segments though and not enough Ken.

A important thing which everyone seems to have missed is that the show was commissioned by the RTE Comedy not Sports Dept so that will definitely have some bearing on the format of the show. Like others though I wanted more chat about the football we'd just seen and the hurling final.

Meathlass wrote: »
    Huge fan of the lads for years and really enjoy the podcasts as Second Captains.

Enjoyed the show last night. Felt a little rushed in places with too many segments though and not enough Ken.

A important thing which everyone seems to have missed is that the show was commissioned by the RTE Comedy not Sports Dept so that will definitely have some bearing on the format of the show. Like others though I wanted more chat about the football we'd just seen and the hurling final.

Fair play I did not realise it was commissioned by the Comedy dept. that makes more sense now

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Most of the comments are spot on. I felt a bit like when you're a teenager and you buy a new record by your favourite band and sit down to listen to it. You really want it to be good, but on the first listen you can't quite decide whether you'd like it if you hadn't heard of the band before...

A good solid start, I think, in general they brought their personalities to the show and were pretty natural in ront of the cameras. McDevitt is a superb interviewer and his piece with ROG was certainly the highlight of the night. Murph was very funny in everything he did.

Improvements? I'd suggest they increase the serious analysis-to-knockabout silliness ratio. The good wall, the Kearnometer, the penalty shootout, the quiz, the montage of the RTE lads, the old Irish ads... it's an awful lot of stuff, just a bit too much. Some of it could definitely go.

And Ken... I really hope they can make more prominent use of him. Agree with those above... going off on a five minute diversion about classical Greece or some such is going to be hard to do on telly, but hopefuly they can get him into the show more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Fair play I did not realise it was commissioned by the Comedy dept. that makes more sense now

Ditto here. I was expecting a more in-dept sports analysis, I wasn't laughing an awful lot though if it was meant to be a laugh in......:o

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I missed the show but will try catch up with on RTE player (I presume it will be on there) sometime. Have to say for me (and it's only a personal preference) Ken was a bit of an asssss on the radio at times and the only one I didnt miss when they bailed from NT. Cant see him being any different on TV but I'll happily change my opinion if required once actually viewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I thought it was good and has potential to be better. Have to agree with the other posters on Derval and Oisin - poor panelists.

ROG brought a bit of oompff into it and his insight into Racing was great. It would have been interesting to delve into the Heineken club split with the anglo/french clubs leaving and getting his tuppence worth on that. However, given the time frame involved he was good.

There is some gelling and tighter link ups with each of the presenters needed and this will come with time. Murph was his usual self deprecating self and his approach adds part of the comedic element.

What was the story with the tea cosy couch throw thingy? The black and red coloured design pattern was a throw back to the 70s. Perhaps that lent itself to the podge and rodge connections? :D

Looking forward to next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Meathlass wrote: »

Good point, it explains a lot - like them trying just a bit too hard to be funny at times. I completely forgot about that (even though someone did post that very fact in the podcast thread:o).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Enjoyed the show.

But not enough time given to the first 3 guests. Cut out some of the filler stuff and more time for interviews.

ROG was very good. People calling him the Fr. Stone of rugby is a bit much I reckon. He is always very honest and forthcoming as an interviewee. And has a good sense of humour too it seems.

Defo not enough of Ken. It was funny seeing him look totally lost. I'm sure his time will come.

Also good to see my fellow countyman 'Cake' make an appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Wasn't taken by it not for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i'm shocked by the positive reception this is getting here from most people. i never listened to offtheball and had no idea who the presenters were, just came across a new show by RTE and thought it was utter crap. cringe at times. didn't even think there'd be a thread about on the television forum, i was going to start one to give about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

didn't even think there'd be a thread about on the television forum, i was going to start one to give about it.

That'd really annoy me if I jumped onto boards to give out about a new show expecting everyone to be in agreement with me I found out that not only did a lot of people think it was good but the presenters were already well established in Ireland with a big fanbase and I'd never heard of them!

That'd suck. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I've learned that no matter how awful a television programme is that at least RichardDower will have a thread sorted and God bless that man's time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    That'd really annoy me if I jumped onto boards to give out about a new show expecting everyone to be in agreement with me I found out that not only did a lot of people think it was good but the presenters were already well established in Ireland with a big fanbase and I'd never heard of them!

That'd suck. :pac:

well i'm saying that people aren't judging this show objectively, they're judging it on past performance of the hosts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

ken has a face for the radio. the other fellas lisp just about gets by on the radio, tv its just painful. shallow? yep, but its tv.

the audience in the background look like they are dying to sit down and look like a bunch of spare d*cks, warm bottle of beer in hand just to add to it.

everyone nervous, stressed and uncomfortable including the guests and all very contrived, all in all...crap tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Some funny bits, lots of nervous/cringey bits too though, the guests didnt exactly set the world on fire either. Its gonna be very tough to reproduce the wit and humour of the radio show into a decent tv show too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

well i'm saying that people aren't judging this show objectively, they're judging it on past performance of the hosts.

exactly, if you just turned the tv on and the presenters were a bunch of nobodies presenting the same garbage as last night you'd be reaching for the remote as quick as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Ken Early seemed the most uncomfortable.
    Richard Sadlier.....wheel him out again and again and again and again and again........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Ken Early seemed the most uncomfortable.
    Richard Sadlier.....wheel him out again and again and again and again and again........

Richie Sadlier seems to be to the second captains that Billy Connolly was to Michael Parkinson, he always seemed to be on.
    anyway, i'm withholding judgement til i see it, i'm in the UK and the RTE player, despite some tweaking won't show it for me. i'll wait til it's on youtube, with thanks to the poster who mentioned it previously!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jr22

Richie Sadlier seems to be to the second captains that Billy Connolly was to Michael Parkinson, he always seemed to be on.
    anyway, i'm withholding judgement til i see it, i'm in the UK and the RTE player, despite some tweaking won't show it for me. i'll wait til it's on youtube, with thanks to the poster who mentioned it previously!

No tweaks needed boss, it's up on the RTE player. Watching it here in the UK.

Fair play to RTE for not restricting it.

• Advertisement

jr22 wrote: »
    No tweaks needed boss, it's up on the RTE player. Watching it here in the UK.

Fair play to RTE for not restricting it.

bugger. it's not working for me. will keep trying, cheers for the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

I'm a podcast listener and I really enjoy the show.

just watched it, thought it was very good. maybe put too much in to one show. the outrage of the pen throwing was funny. i just hope if they ever get dunphy on that they go through him for a shortcut on all the bullsh1t he spouts. i've a feeling ken would tear him apart almost in the same manner he likes to tell graham hunter that sergio ramos is shyte.

i'm still confused as to what hick and horgan bring to the show (apart from being able to get shane horgan to take a penalty). fair enough, on the radio they were producers but mark horgan wasn't in the credits at the end. if simon hick wasn't showing off the tshirt then would he have made them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The first show was a bit of a mess. That Murph bloke was about as funny as a burning orphanage. I never found him funny on Off The Ball and he has added total incoherence to his repertoire on the telly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Awful show, very cringe worthy.

The interview with ROG was great. Why not concentrate on what they are good at instead of acting like plebs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Ally Dick wrote: »
    The first show was a bit of a mess. That Murph bloke was about as funny as a burning orphanage. I never found him funny on Off The Ball and he has added total incoherence to his repertoire on the telly

haha, that analogy is hilarious! Did you make that up? I never heard that before so I guess it's an original 'Ally Dick.'

2290258.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

I have just watched the show.
    Needs to be tidied up a bit in terms of transitions and sound editing, that said I like that it isn't too polished.
    Hopefully the cross sports star bench thing isn't too much of a feature, would like to hear Early & Sadlier interviewed by McDevitt on the football matters. On that point, there was not enough Early

To finish up I liked the show, the presenters have charm and are funny - they will get better not worse. Compared to such drivel as Republic of Telly it is light years ahead. Hopefully they can critically analyse themselves and make the necessary improvements.

willabur wrote: »
    To finish up I liked the show, the presenters have charm and are funny - they will get better not worse. Compared to such drivel as Republic of Telly it is light years ahead. Hopefully they can critically analyse themselves and make the necessary improvements.

exactly what i thought too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭robbe

haha, that analogy is hilarious! Did you make that up? I never heard that before so I guess it's an original 'Ally Dick.'

2290258.jpg

Billy Connolly I believe, but could have been Lenny Bruce....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

A big fan of the radio show and podcasts. The idea is good here but it needs a good bit of work.

The set look awful, you'd see better in a charity shop. The guests look physically uncomfortable with where they have to sit which doesn't add much to the quality of the interviews. I would have liked to have heard more from Oisin McConville and Derval O'Rourke. Richie Sadlier, on the other hand, seems to be as ubiquitous as Mary O'Rourke. Is there no-one else out there who can speak about soccer?

It was completely daft that there was no mention of the hurling final.

Lots of improvements needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

fair enough, on the radio they were producers but mark horgan wasn't in the credits at the end. if simon hick wasn't showing off the tshirt then would he have made them?
    They were both credited. Think Horgan was credited as the series producer at the very end of the credits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

They were both included in the credits as Producers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

It was their first proper go at live TV,with a studio audience too.They managed to scrape a very good interview out of ROG and had a good few funny moments that landed.

I'd imagine they are being forced to keep the comedy content up because of the fact that RTE Comedy commisioned the series,not sport.That and the casual audience they are targeting wouldn't be into/used to listening to in depth interviews like us who have followed them for years on the radio.

But least give the lads a chance before instantly declaring them shíte and making fun of their appearances and speech impediments,as some of the posters have already done in this thread.

I'm just happy to see some fresh 'outsider faces' on RTE,and talented ones at that.A very rare thing in this day and age in Montrose.

Oh and sure if this experiment doesn't work out then Craig Doyle,Katherine Lynch or those gormless Telly Republic chaps will be back on your screens in just a few weeks time anyway.

They were both credited. Think Horgan was credited as the series producer at the very end of the credits.

my bad, stream may or may not have ended when the scrolling stopped at director. just like jonny tightlips, i ain't sayin nuttin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There is a repeat of Tuesday's show on Saturday at 11.10pm on RTE2

Next week the programme moves to Wednesday (where it stays for the rest of the current run). 11pm, After AC Milan v Celtic in the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

RTE Comedy commisioned the series,not sport.

:confused: Should really expect that from RTE though. If they try to make it funny it'll continue to be appalling. It should be run as an informal sports show where Eoin can interview people and Ken et Al can comment on matches etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

According to Murph on yesterdays podcast, RTE have now make the TV show available to international viewers on the RTE Player (since Wednesday night).

I can't check, because I'm in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Average to be honest, humour was hit & miss.

The interviews had potential but never quite hit the spot. Mcdevitt was solid, Early is not suited for tv and murph has a great future on children's tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Skid X wrote: »
    According to Murph on yesterdays podcast, RTE have now make the TV show available to international viewers on the RTE Player (since Wednesday night).

I can't check, because I'm in Ireland.

I could get in New Zealand yesterday no problem. It was v.good, it just needs more Ken.

• Advertisement

just thinking, what kind of guests are they going to have for late on a wednesday night? can't imagine too many wanting to come out at that hour, apart from richie sadlier anyway.

would be great to see them present some kind of live sports show like sky do with saturday night football, with the audience in the studio, be it champions league, sunday game, pro 12 or league of ireland*
    although the sports dept would need to take over the show.

*given that they've yet to mention LOI on the podcast, that's unlikely.

Advertisement