Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Live - The TV Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

I think its a safe enough bet that McDevitt will be taking over from O'Herlihy after the world cup. Ken Early would seem like a natural successor to Dunphy also. Reckon Early and Sadlier would make a nice one two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

willabur wrote: »
    I think its a safe enough bet that McDevitt will be taking over from O'Herlihy after the world cup.

Don't think Darragh Maloney will be pleased to hear that.

He'll get it. He's been at RTE long enough. And that's the way RTE works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Neeson wrote: »

eoin mcdevitt will get the peter collins gig. early afternoon tournament games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Surely they'll leave Peter to do LOI games. He has nothing else. No premiership commentary. No F1. And they have to keep Peter on the payroll. He's an RTE man. McDevitt is just a blow in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Yeah, Bill O'Herlihy has saying for a while that Darragh Moloney would eventually replace him. Eoin McDevitt might get some work with the RTE Sport Department, but he won't be parachuted in as the new Bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Skid X wrote: »
    Yeah, Bill O'Herlihy has saying for a while that Darragh Moloney would eventually replace him. Eoin McDevitt might get some work with the RTE Sport Department, but he won't be parachuted in as the new Bill.
    Sigh. I'll miss Bill, wind up merchant extraordinaire. :(

Surely they'll leave Peter to do LOI games. He has nothing else. No premiership commentary. No F1. And they have to keep Peter on the payroll. He's an RTE man. McDevitt is just a blow in.

he'll go back to the Beat Box on sunday mornings with Dave Fanning.
    a simulcast with 2fm i'll have you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Or at least the highlights show. I think Con Murphy did that last time round.

Where the hell did Con go in the end? Did he get cross because he had to do that nonsense point-at-the-map yoke on the Champions League while the others talked about football? Poor aul Con.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Everybody will move up a peg. Doubt McDevitt is going to usurp Maloney or Collins, who've both been around for years.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Or at least the highlights show. I think Con Murphy did that last time round.

Where the hell did Con go in the end? Did he get cross because he had to do that nonsense point-at-the-map yoke on the Champions League while the others talked about football? Poor aul Con.

He took the voluntary redundancy from RTE last year and he is now freelance. I haven't seen or heard him since. He was a decent presenter on the radio and on MNS, but he never got any high profile games as Apres Match pointed out (at 2 mins 20) ...

• Advertisement

Ha, first thing i think of when anyone mentions Con is Apres Match. Hilarious.

(Sorry Con, not saying you weren't good or anything!)

Guests on tomorrow's show

Shane Horgan
    Oisin McConville
    Anthony Moyles
    Kieran McGeeney

and
    Jason Sherlock
    Liam McHale

A bit underwhelming.

Ah, it'll be good stuff for the week that's in it. Although I expect most of them will be on one or both of the podcasts this week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Shane Horgan
    Oisin McConville
    Anthony Moyles
    Kieran McGeeney

and
    Jason Sherlock
    Liam McHale

A bit underwhelming.

That's very disappointing.... Don't get how highly they rate McConville and Moyles and being Mark Horgans brother I presume they can have shane Horgan on tap. It will be good to get Mcgeeneys take on the whole Kildare fiasco however.

McDevitt and Murph on with Ray Darcy now.

no Richie Sadlier this week even after Champions league?? every time he's on (podcast or tv show) he starts off with a 'howarye lads'. everytime i hear of it, i think of gift grub doing keith duffy.

anyway, looking forward to kieran mcgeeney. will be interesting to see his take on the player power trying to put county before club.

i wonder what it was like for them to walk back into communicorp headquarters for the ray darcy show?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Shane Horgan
    Oisin McConville
    Anthony Moyles
    Kieran McGeeney

and
    Jason Sherlock
    Liam McHale

A bit underwhelming.

Not much chance for "more Ken" with that line up.

Ah, it'll be good stuff for the week that's in it. Although I expect most of them will be on one or both of the podcasts this week too.

I dunno Donie ... previews of GAA matches tend to be dull unless the participants are willing to stick their necks out. I don't think the 'three on a couch' interview format is great, it's hard to get a decent flow to the conversation. You might get more out of McGeeney in a one-to-one.

Also, they wet their powder bringing on Shane Horgan for 30 seconds last week (to take a penalty), and then having him on again as a main (and only non GAA) guest this week. He is a good pundit but it looks like 'we can't get anyone else, give Shane a ring'.

Anyway, I'm sure they know what they are doing.

Lads, sounds like ye have your minds made up to knock the show before even watching it.

I quite enjoy McConville and Moyles on the podcast, don't know where the 'sitting on the fence' thing comes from. I have found them to be forthright and willing to stick their neck out on the line. Some have had a whinge about McConvilles drone of an accent but if you are reduced to giving out about that then you might aswell watch something else.

Would imagine that McGeeney is in the ROG position from last week. Hopefully they dedicate some time to talk about the final this week also.

There doesn't seem to be too much scope for Early in this lineup - maybe he can chime in a bit with horgan and talk about the less obvious facets of being a proffesional rugby player in Dublin city. In the podcast today he had an interesting conversation with the guy who wrote a book on George Best, especially the bit where he asked whether George could have been actually misogynist individual or just made statements to appear that he was to protect his own insecurities.

i don't know if anyone has been knocking mcconvilles accent, but for me, he's just a mumbler. too often during the podcasts you have to turn them up to where what he's going on about, and if you're listening with earphones and laughter cuts in, it's bloody annoying.

• Advertisement

I dunno Donie ... previews of GAA matches tend to be dull unless the participants are willing to stick their necks out. I don't think the 'three on a couch' interview format is great, it's hard to get a decent flow to the conversation. You might get more out of McGeeney in a one-to-one.

Also, they wet their powder bringing on Shane Horgan for 30 seconds last week (to take a penalty), and then having him on again as a main (and only non GAA) guest this week. He is a good pundit but it looks like 'we can't get anyone else, give Shane a ring'.

Anyway, I'm sure they know what they are doing.

I know what you're saying about gaa previews being dull sometimes (speaking of which, i've half a mind to wait till saturday to watch this, right after up for the match), but i reckon the lads can pull it off.

That did cross my mind about Shane Horgan last week too. But he is a legend, so i'm willing to let it go. ;-)

I don't think anyone's knocking it, by the way lads. Looks more like people have high hopes for it (the show, if not this one).

I reckon they should get Marty Morrisey on (just swing by Croke Park, he's normally standing round on the pitch there, if the news is to be believed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Lot of nordie / mumble-core tomorrow.

Could be dull.... Hopefully not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I personally have no problem with McConville's accent and he seems like a decent enough fella, where I would be critical would be his lack of insight. His analysis before the Dublin Kerry semi final was extremely poor where he came out with every cliche in the book re:Dublin defence are poor under high ball (which is factually incorrect and stats back it up), Kerry have a big game in them (1.5 million people could have told him that), any team with the gooch Dec O'Sullivan etc etc..and finally Kerry will win. I prefer someone like Donal Og who gets away from the banal analysis, highlights the intricacies in the game, in fact he is so good I would imagine some managers would prefer he wasn't an analyst as he unraveled their hard work. If McConville was working for Sky Sports he would be Jamie Redknapp.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭UpTheLilies

Should be worth a look. His first interview since being sacked by Kildare GAA

no Richie Sadlier this week even after Champions league?? every time he's on (podcast or tv show) he starts off with a 'howarye lads'. everytime i hear of it, i think of gift grub doing keith duffy.

anyway, looking forward to kieran mcgeeney. will be interesting to see his take on the player power trying to put county before club.

i wonder what it was like for them to walk back into communicorp headquarters for the ray darcy show?!

Which podcast does he do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Mcgeeney is out of tonights show - replaced by Sonia O'Sullivan - Like for like so #notreally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Ah jaysus,poor Ken will be sitting on the couch like a therd wheel (Richie Sadlier accent) again this week judging by the GAA heavy lineup.

• Advertisement

Mcgeeney is out of tonights show - replaced by Sonia O'Sullivan - Like for like so #notreally

ah jaysis.

ah jaysis.
    He was extracting the urine :o

Just as well they left her on the Good Wall! I've a lot of time for Sonia, she is one of our greatest ever Sportspeople.

Shame about McGeeney, it would have been interesting to hear his side of the story.

He was extracting the urine :o

??

i said ah jaysis to mcgeeney being replaced. have i missed something??

Yeah mcgeeney's not being replaced.

Yeah mcgeeney's not being replaced.

No, he's definitely out - it was posted on the Second Captains Twitter earlier (and Sonia O'Sullivan's)
    Second Captains ‏@SecondCaptains 3h
    Late change of plan folks - k mcgeeney unavoidably out, Ireland's greatest ever athlete Sonia o'sullivan amazingly IN!! 11pm, rte2. #WatchIt

https://twitter.com/SecondCaptains/status/380361999320096768

• Advertisement

Ah ****e!

No, he's definitely out - it was posted on the Second Captains Twitter earlier (and Sonia O'Sullivan's)

https://twitter.com/SecondCaptains/status/380361999320096768

Not to mention the ad before the CL game...

Looking forward to it. Go on Sonia!

Would love it if they got US Murph on at some stage (down the line, i know). It's one part of the podcast that could really be improved by visual, for those of us who dont see much nfl/baseball etc.

Silly question lads, how do i download one of those podcasts to my laptop?

Silly question lads, how do i download one of those podcasts to my laptop?

There's a link in or around pg 25 of the second captains podcast thread that i use. It's called feedburner or something. I struggled with it until that was posted (thanks again whoever that was!).

(Sorry cant post link - using phone here).

There's a link in or around pg 25 of the second captains podcast thread that i use. It's called feedburner or something. I struggled with it until that was posted (thanks again whoever that was!).

(Sorry cant post link - using phone here).
    Nice one Donie that was driving me mad trying to figure it out http://feeds.feedburner.com/secondcaptainsitcom

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Hopefully theres more Ken Early and less game shows tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

FearDark wrote: »
    Hopefully theres more Ken Early and less game shows tonight.

I can listen to the man talk all day long but i cannot look at him for more than a minute

I can listen to the man talk all day long but i cannot look at him for more than a minute

Theres a certain worzel gummidge look to him alright.

There is a clip in the trailer where the three presenters are meant to look up at the camera while McDevitt says "This is Second Captains Live". Ken looks down sheepishly at his feet, like a shy schoolboy getting his Communion photo taken.

He isn't a natural at live TV, but hopefully they can develop a role for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Any one else feeling an overwhelming urge to reach into their tellyboxes with a pair of scissors?

Oisin Mc Conville again....

ZzzzZZzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ken does look absolutely lost out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

They're allowed swear then so.

Poor auld Ken has literally been left in the background.

Murph not getting a word in here (possibly in solidarity with Ken)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

These guys are holding Ken Early back. He needs to go do his own thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement