Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's to blame

Options
  • 06-09-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all been reading on boards for a few years now but i am in need of some help this time..

I ordered a 2nd hand engine for a car the other day from a scrap yard down the country over the phone.I gave him all the info he needed year model engine size cc even the engine code.

He got back to me and said he had one in stock that matched the engine code and other info that i gave and i told him id get back to him the next morning with my card details as i didn't have it on me.

The next day i called him to pay for the engine and courier and i double checked with him that it was the right one by giving him the engine code and that again and he said yes that that's right so i bought it..

The engine arrived this morning and 10 minutes later i went about moving it when i noticed bits on the front of the engine that's not on mine so i went about checking the engine code and it's different to the code i gave him its the earlier version of engine that is of no use to me.

When i called him he wasn't too happy and said that he didn't know it was a different engine as he didn't have my engine to compare them and that he matched them up with the info i gave him.

He said that if i want my money back he wants his engine back which i have no problem doing as it is of no use to me then he went on about he been out labour and delivery now because of me i told him that id be down tomorrow with the engine as a friend with a van is going help me out.

So what i am asking is did i go about this the right way am i at fault or the scrap yard see if it was a few years back i probably would of said some things that shouldn't of been said but over the years iv started having anxiety problems that cause me to take things to hearth when people give out to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

If you have the old engine out, why not take it up in the van with you, you never know, he may have the right one to suit there and eveyone will go away happy. At least if he sees it, he will know he sent the incorrect engine or may have another solution. Stay cool anyway and there may be no giving out or no blames!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wagon93

Hi bgrizzley that's not a bad idea there is no harm in taking it with me plus it would help a lot to show the differences between the two. Aw i will i was never the type to start trouble and now a day's id rather stay clear of it. Worst case is iv to wait longer for a engine if he has none like it but can all ways stop at a few yard's on the way home might get lucky and find one.

Thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

wagon93 wrote: »
    Hi bgrizzley that's not a bad idea there is no harm in taking it with me plus it would help a lot to show the differences between the two. Aw i will i was never the type to start trouble and now a day's id rather stay clear of it. Worst case is iv to wait longer for a engine if he has none like it but can all ways stop at a few yard's on the way home might get lucky and find one.

Thanks for the advice.

Don't let him charge you for delivery of the wrong engine as it sounds like it was completely his mistake, you gave the proper details enough times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Any update, how did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wagon93

Hey guys every thing went well 2 hour drive down and the guy i was talking to on the phone wasn't there but the 3 staff that i was talking to where very nice about it and couldn't apologize more they gave me a full refund delivery and all.:D

They asked a lot of questions about the differences in the 2 engine's and how to spot them i told them every thing about them and they seemed happy to get the info.

Thanks again for the advice it helped a lot.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement