Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen phone

Options
  • 06-09-2013 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Just got a call from the guards, they have recovered my phone which was stolen. I made a claim against insurance and received a new phone. The old phone was blocked and all that. Can I unblock and use the phone again once I get it back from the guards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jtown wrote: »
    Just got a call from the guards, they have recovered my phone which was stolen. I made a claim against insurance and received a new phone. The old phone was blocked and all that. Can I unblock and use the phone again once I get it back from the guards?

Not your phone any more, the insurance company paid you for it, so it's belongs to them now, unless you want to hand back your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭jtown

So the phone is no good to me anymore. Guards might as well just keep it !!

It'll be blocked on the irish networks only. If you know someone in oz, usa, canada or wherever, you can send it to them and it'll work fine abroad.

A person of low morals might even sell it on a foreign website, but you wouldn't do that, now would you?

It'll be blocked on the irish networks only. If you know someone in oz, usa, canada or wherever, you can send it to them and it'll work fine abroad.

A person of low morals might even sell it on a foreign website, but you wouldn't do that, now would you?

So the guards catching the person who stole the phone and returing my phone is no good !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

So the guards catching the person who stole the phone and returing my phone is no good !!

It's good but as you had insurance and already claimed from the insurance you didn't loose any money.

you should contact insurance and let them know you recover your phone and they will let you know what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

My dad in the early 90s had a pricey video camera stolen so he made a claim off the insurance. The camera was later recovered by the guards in fully working order. My dad felt bad about now having two cameras so he got in touch with the insurance company to see about returning one. The guy he spoke to had to check with a more senior member of staff about what to do because this was the first time in yer mans two years working there that someone was looking to reverse a claim on "something small". It was worth about 2 grand in punts. Those were the days I suppose. :P

My dad in the early 90s had a pricey video camera stolen so he made a claim off the insurance. The camera was later recovered by the guards in fully working order. My dad felt bad about now having two cameras so he got in touch with the insurance company to see about returning one. The guy he spoke to had to check with a more senior member of staff about what to do because this was the first time in yer mans two years working there that someone was looking to reverse a claim on "something small". It was worth about 2 grand in punts. Those were the days I suppose. :P

And what happened ? Did he keep both ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Not your phone any more, the insurance company paid you for it, so it's belongs to them now, unless you want to hand back your claim.

Practically how do you see this working? What will the insurance company do with a second hand phone. How would they recover the money from jtown?

What you say makes sense but is that actually how it works, have you had actual experience with this process?

My guess - no way in hell will the insurance company want a second hand mobile, unlikely that they would go to the hassle of recovering the money. Only issue is the lock on the phone.

Practically how do you see this working? What will the insurance company do with a second hand phone. How would they recover the money from jtown?

What you say makes sense but is that actually how it works, have you had actual experience with this process?

My guess - no way in hell will the insurance company want a second hand mobile, unlikely that they would go to the hassle of recovering the money. Only issue is the lock on the phone.

Can't be a first that phone is recovered after claim has been made. Would like to give the phone to my dad who can use it. No point in the phone been useless to anyone. Insurance company don't want

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

Would an Iphone which has been blacklisted work in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

And what happened ? Did he keep both ?

he sent it back, I don't know what the insurance company did with it though

he sent it back, I don't know what the insurance company did with it though

no point in even picking up the phone off the guards then.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Jtown, go and get the phone off the guards... Keep the phone, send it away, sell it, whatever... It really is a no brainier, the insurance company will not pursue you, they are not pursuing this particular phone, the guards have black bags full of phones... If your conscious really gets to you there are charities that take mobile phones for parts and get money for them... Either way it is a no brainer, if I were you I'd just go get the phone...

Ok thanks to all - can close the thread if needed

Salvage– The Company will be entitled to take and keep possession of damaged or recovered Insured Equipment and to deal with the salvage in a reasonable manner.

Vodafone T&C

danwhite88 wrote: »
    Would an Iphone which has been blacklisted work in the UK?

Yep, it'd even work up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Give it to the jack and jill foundation

Advertisement